PDA

View Full Version : Is the basic rockler router table with router plate any good?

Jack Gaskins
11-29-2014, 4:47 PM
Rockler has their router table top and router plate on sale for $99. Does anyone have this top and is it worth the $99?

Thanks
Jack

Rich Engelhardt
11-29-2014, 8:32 PM
I have the older Rockler #1 - back from before Rockler picked up Benchdog.
It's ok - nothing great, but, nothing to toss stones at either.
Mine came with your choice of an aluminum insert and a half way decent fence - for the same $99.00 price tag - but - that was like 5 or 6 years ago.

The current one ships only with router plate A - and lacks a fence.
If you don't have one of the routers that fits the A group plate, then you'll need another plate @ $40.
Figure in a basic fence also unless you have other plans in that area.

FWIW - the only real difference between mine and the new one is the size of the opening for the router plate.
Mine was the old Rockler size - smaller than the new Benchdog size.

I had a Freud 1700 mounted in mine and overall, I was pretty happy with the whole setup.
The Freud died on me a couple three months ago and I had to replace it with a Milwaukee 5625-20.
Since Rockler no longer made the old sized plates, I had to upgrade my plate to a Woodpeckers also.
So I now have a Milwaukee 3.5HP, a Woodpeckers plate and inserts and the Rockler top and Rockler fence.

The Woodpeckers plate and inserts ran me about $120.00 or so. No - strike that - it ran me closer to $140. I had to buy a template to enlarge the opening and a top nearing template bit to go with the template.

Speaking of which (router plates and sizes) the Rockler table has a cutout for an 8.25" X 11.75" plate.
Make sure whatever you plan to use in the table has a plate available & if you plan to use a lift of any kind, make sure it will fit that size opening.

You'll still need to decide on a fence also. Figure at least another $100 for a starter type fence.
Bottom line, you're looking at between $198.00 (top and fence) and $239 or so for top, fence and plate (if you need one).

Jack Gaskins
11-30-2014, 7:39 AM
Thanks Rich, I went ahead an got ahold of two large countertops and will laminate them together. They already have formica all around. I will order a plate, fence and t-track from Incra.

Rich Engelhardt
11-30-2014, 9:14 AM
Jack, you might want to have a look see at what Carbide Processors has to offer.
Tom, Whitney and Jo are hands down the three most pleasant and knowledgeable people in the world to deal with.

I believe Tom extends a discount to SMC members also.
Yep here it is - (use coupon code “creekers” )

Myk Rian
11-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Make your own. Are you not a wood worker?

Jason White
11-30-2014, 11:29 PM
I had one (the MDF covered with plastic laminate version). Kept it for a couple of years before upgrading to a cast-iron one mounted on my tablesaw.

The Rockler table stayed flat and got the job done. It's a decent table for the price.

Rockler has their router table top and router plate on sale for $99. Does anyone have this top and is it worth the $99?

Thanks
Jack

Chris Hachet
12-01-2014, 8:50 AM
Make your own. Are you not a wood worker?

Pretty much this. I have one in the wing of my table saw with a router lift. Works great.

However, I am thinking a full scale router table build is in the works sometime next year.