PDA

View Full Version : Another Bench on Bench

Jim Koepke
11-29-2014, 2:17 PM
This was in my email from FineWoodWorking:

Bench on Bench (http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/mini-workbench-makes-detail-work-easier.aspx?&lookup=auto&V18=&V19=&V20=&V21=&V22=&V23=&V24=&V25=&V26=&V53=&V54=&Taun_Per_Flag=true&&utm_source=email&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=fw_eletter&utm_campaign=fine-woodworking-eletter)

jtk

Jeff Ranck
12-01-2014, 10:55 AM
So should we kick off another "how high should my bench be" thread? I've never used one of these, I tend to use a stool at the bench when I want to get closer, but I can see how they could be useful. I'm not sure I'd like it for all operations. I guess that is the great thing about the bench on bench. Take it off when you want.

David Weaver
12-01-2014, 11:00 AM
"If you'd like to build this bench, you can purchase the plans in the online store or buy the magazine".

Uh...we could just look at the video, there's not much to it.

Maurice Ungaro
12-01-2014, 11:11 AM
"If you'd like to build this bench, you can purchase the plans in the online store or buy the magazine".

Uh...we could just look at the video, there's not much to it.

hehe..exactly, David!

Brad Swanson
12-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Why am I envisioning a Escher drawing of a bench with a wagon vise holding a bench with a wagon vise, which is holding another bench with a wagon vise, which is holding the original bench, with a wagon vise?

Jim Koepke
12-01-2014, 12:43 PM
I guess that is the great thing about the bench on bench. Take it off when you want.

Then the grandkids could play with it.

jtk

Jim Belair
12-01-2014, 4:59 PM
Interesting that the clip opens with the guy planing on the B-on-B. I thought the push for lower bench height was for ease of planing.

David Weaver
12-01-2014, 5:18 PM
I think latta does a lot of line and berry and carving stuff (IIRC, he teaches at thaddeus stevens college). I can see its usefulness for that, and latta is a pro so no argument from me.

But it's not something a like me or any other amateur is going to leave up for long periods of time unless we're doing small work.

If I have to do anything small, I usually pull my saw bench over and sit on it instead of elevating the work height (that doesn't work well for planing, but you can stand up for that).

Jim Matthews
12-01-2014, 5:27 PM
I wonder what the "mean time to repeat" is for some of these articles.

I was depressed to open an early "Tage Frid teaches..." text
to find many of my paid subscription articles essentially updates
with color photos. It's even worse, now that I have some Charles Hayward
originals...

There's a huge gap between the "Here's how you hold a chisel" articles
and "Here's how you make a Bombe chest of drawers out of old growth Mahogany harvested by virgins in 1832" articles.

* rant off *

Justin Green
12-01-2014, 5:34 PM
That's so yesterday. I'm about to roll out my "bench on a bench on a bench". It's a smallish bench that can be held securely in a Moxon vise which is in turn held to your regular bench top with clamps. The kit will allow you to elevate pieces up to 8' in the air.

It's especially designed for easy access to the bottoms of boards or the underside of projects. Tired of flipping a piece over just to pare or plane the other side? Mount it in the "bench on a bench on a bench"!

David Weaver
12-01-2014, 6:05 PM
I wonder what the "mean time to repeat" is for some of these articles.

I was depressed to open an early "Tage Frid teaches..." text
to find many of my paid subscription articles essentially updates
with color photos. It's even worse, now that I have some Charles Hayward
originals...

and "Here's how you make a Bombe chest of drawers out of old growth Mahogany harvested by virgins in 1832" articles.

* rant off *

I'd say that the mean time to repetition is probably slightly shorter than average subscribership duration.

Mike Allen1010
12-01-2014, 7:16 PM
I never had any use for a bench on bench for typical furniture building tasks. However, now that I've started doing a little carving and inlay, having the bench on bench really comes in handy and saves my back.

I started with the carving in the inlay on the standard workbench and tried using the stool to do is sitting down but was constantly moving the stool around and it's just easier for me to do the work standing up at a higher level where I can see what I'm doing and easily readjust my position to put the tool where it needs to be.

Cheers, Mike

Scott Stafford
12-01-2014, 7:32 PM
I know that I built mine shortly after seeing Steve Latta using his first Lie-Nielsen's DVD on inlay and I don't regret it. I enjoy using it frequently.

Happy holidays to all!

Scott in Montana

Jim Koepke
12-01-2014, 7:41 PM

Recently while shopping an FWW magazine caught my eye. There was a country hutch on the cover and looked like an interesting article.

Reading the letters to the editor revealed that I purchased the wrong issue. One letter writer made it clear that the previous issue contained all the secrets of woodworking and should be forever cherished.

The article of interest to me also referred to the previous issue on some of the hutch details.

If only I had known.

One thing that seems strange, the hutch uses 15" wide pine boards. Maybe that is common in the east, but not here out west.

jtk

David Weaver
12-01-2014, 9:51 PM
You can get 15" pine boards here, but you'll pay to get them. I call wood like that around here customer wood. As in it helps to have a customer paying to get nice wood like that. It's hard to justify for personal use unless you have a piece that you know you can really nail.