PDA

View Full Version : Personal Finance software.

Dave Lehnert
11-29-2014, 1:41 PM
Years ago I used MS Money.
What Personal Finance software do you use?
I know Mint is popular but don't like the idea of my info online.
Looking for something simple to keep track of account balances.

Clay Crocker
11-29-2014, 1:59 PM
I used MS Money up until about 3 years ago when MS "sun-setted" that program. I switched to Quicken. I am familiar with Intuit products since I have used Quickbooks for almost 20 years, but for my personal finance I always preferred MS Money. When MS decided to get out of the personal finance software business Quicken was the natural choice for me. There were some things about Money I prefer over Quicken (home inventory, tracking investment accounts, etc...) but it is satisfactory for my needs.

Shawn Pachlhofer
11-29-2014, 4:02 PM
I still use MS Money - it just doesn't have the ability to go out on the internet and connect with my banks to download transaction history.

joe aiello
11-29-2014, 5:01 PM
I use Gnucash - roughly similar to QuickBooks. It is open source available from sourceforge. It is a double entry accounting pkg; takes a little bit to get the hang of it. I use it for business and even write customer billing.
.....joe

Dave Lehnert
11-29-2014, 5:12 PM
Thanks for all the info so far.
I did find that MS has a free download "Money Plus Sunset Deluxe" MS Money without the online features.

Jim Becker
11-29-2014, 7:55 PM
Quicken for Windows...I've been a Quicken user since about version 2 decades ago. In fact, it's the only reason I have Windows available on my iMac. (The Mac version of Quicken, um...err...well...is inadequate. It can't even do loan amortizations)

Brian Elfert
11-29-2014, 8:59 PM
I switched to Quicken after Money was discontinued. It wasn't easy at first, but I'm used to Quicken now after using it for a number of years. The online downloading of account data is very important to me so I had to quit using Money.

roger wiegand
12-01-2014, 8:50 AM
Much as I love to hate it, I use Quicken, and have since it first came out. I wish there were a better alternative, but unfortunately they have no significant competition any more so bugs reported 10 years ago remain unfixed and they extract more money from you every three years for a "new version" that typically only obfuscates some functionality or adds useless graphics as they milk it as a cash cow. There have been no actual improvements in the last decade. I also run Parallels on my Mac to allow me to use the Windoze version.

Chris Padilla
12-01-2014, 5:16 PM
Quicken here and for many many years. I'm also a diehard Turbo Tax user.

Justin Ludwig
12-01-2014, 9:05 PM
I use my wife. "Here some money, honey, let me know if any of it is mine."

She uses Quicken for personal and Quickbooks for my cabinet biz. I used to use Quicken, but with her being an accountant, I just stand back. I couldn't tell you if I'm rich or flat broke! Thomas Gray was right.

Dave Lehnert
12-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Found this program on a personal finance forum. Moneyble Personal Finance (Google it for link)
Any experience with this?

rod termaat
12-05-2014, 1:13 AM
Clear checkbook. Hands down the best. I used all of these as a personal finance geek and this little web based programs rocks.

Curt Harms
12-05-2014, 8:58 AM
I've seen recommendations for this, never used it.

http://moneydance.com/