PDA

View Full Version : Whats in your CD player these days....

Tim Morton
07-17-2005, 5:53 PM
Haven't seen one of thse threads in awhile...i have been listening to alot of music from my high school days....olot of Led Zeppelin and Lynard Skynard...but right now it's AC/DC Back in Black......

Mark Singer
07-17-2005, 6:33 PM
lately...Chris Botti..." A Thousand Kisses Deep" ..."First Wish"

John Barry....Bach......Puntamayo.....Strunz and Ferar

Frankie Hunt
07-17-2005, 6:33 PM
I have been listening to Chris Isaak's "Heart Shaped World".

In my truck I have loaded up a 2 cd set Best of The Marshall Tucker Band, a 2 of cd set Best of The Rolling Stones, and a 2 cd set of Ralph Stanley "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning" in case I am in a non-rock mood. (Perhaps I am the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde:eek: )
Frankie

Karl Laustrup
07-17-2005, 6:44 PM
Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole's "Facing Future".

I really liked his version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" from the movie "50 First Dates".

Had a hard time finding any of his albums, as they have become very popular since the movie. Strange thing is none of the record stores that had his albums have seemed to reorder any of his albums. Sadly "IZ" died several years ago.

Radio, I listen to C&W. I also have several CD's that I've compiled with Lynard Skynard, Bob Segar, CCR, ZZ Top as well as ones with John Denver, ABBA, Rod Stewart and others.

I just kind of like a whole lot of different music. Except Rap. :eek:

Karl

Jim Becker
07-17-2005, 7:48 PM
When I listen to CDs, it's generally one of the 20+ Live at the World Café compliations or WXPN New Music Sampler CDs that I get from WXPN in Philadelphia as a (hefty) contributor. And a few of the singer-songwriter CDs I also get from them as a member of the CD of the Month club level. All really good stuff.

But, of course, most of my mobile listening these days is Pimsluer Russian I...and that includes when mowing the lawn.

Jim O'Dell
07-17-2005, 7:57 PM
Hard to remember...the CD player died a few weeks back. Took it apart this afternoon looking for something obvious, but no luck. I think it is an old Petra cd, but could be vintage Whiteheart. The changer (which also is out of commision because of the head unit) has about 6 Stephen Curtis Chapman, a couple Wayne Watson (Jim B, you need to hear "Water Color Ponies" By Wayne Watson since you are in the kid in the house mode) and not sure what the other 2 are. The portable has another Stephen Curtis Chapman in it. Yeah, I kinda like his music! Jim.

Joe Mioux
07-17-2005, 8:07 PM
It's either something from Chris Isaak or Little Feat.

Michael Gibbons
07-17-2005, 8:23 PM
In my 5 disc in the basement.. Jefferson Starship, Yes, Bruce Hornsby and the Range, Bad Company, and a younger years favorites collection including the Police, Cheap Trick, Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson. Ian Hunter; stuff from 1978,79, 80. In the car 6 disc is Tracy Byrd, acollection cd, Rush, Rush,Rush,Rush.

John Miliunas
07-17-2005, 9:24 PM
In the shop changer, it's Rush, Rush, Rush, Coheed & Cambria and, if I'm not mistaken, Rush. :D Actually, although I'm a Rush fan, I like a variety of stuff, just as long as it's hard rock, heavy metal, maybe some new age and NO rap!:) :cool:

Doug Shepard
07-17-2005, 9:45 PM
Well recently this is what's been in the slot the longest or most frequently. A lot of my music collection is pre-CD so I'm still picking things up here and there or transferring vinyl or cassettes to CD.

John Scofield - Ueberjam
Joni Mitchell - Hissing of Summer Lawns and Court and Spark
Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Best Of
Django Reinhardt - (Forget which title)
The Gipsy Kings - Volare
Aerosmith - Best Of

Tim Morton
07-17-2005, 9:59 PM
In the shop changer, it's Rush, Rush, Rush, Coheed & Cambria and, if I'm not mistaken, Rush. :D Actually, although I'm a Rush fan, I like a variety of stuff, just as long as it's hard rock, heavy metal, maybe some new age and NO rap!:) :cool:

John and Michael count me in as another old Rush fan...All the Worlds a stage is never far from my CD player...

Mark...I'm trying to listen to Chris Botti right now(never heard of him before as i have sort of ignored jazz the past 15 years or so...)...amazing horn player..sounds alot like Miles Davis...the background players are giving me some trouble though...I need to get Miles out of head and listen to what they are playing and not what I think I want to hear......I see on the website they play at Humpheys down in SD...that is a real nice place to see jazz....

I kind of started this to find some new music and you guys have not let me down...

Frank Pellow
07-17-2005, 10:06 PM
The CDs in my shop right now are:

K.D. Lang------Hyms of the 49th Parellel

Eric Bogle------Scraps of Paper

Hobo Jim-------Alaska's Hobo Jim -A collection

Stan Rogers----From Fresh Water

Django Reinhardt-----DJANGOLOGY -Vol1 1934-35

Ian and Sylvia-----The complete Vanguard Studio Recordings

Marian McPartland----In My Life

Canadian Brass------The Mozart Album

Steve Ash
07-17-2005, 10:25 PM
When I'm cruising in my 1969 Chevelle SS I got to have Motown...today it was the Temptations. In my work truck it is AC/DC back in black, or ZZ Top Eliminator.

Tim Morton
07-17-2005, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Frank Pellow]The CDs in my shop right now are:

K.D. Lang------Hyms of the 49th Parellel

For everyone reading this...this is one of the best cd's of the year...even if you are not a KD Lang fan as i was not...but this was given to me as a gift and it is an amazing CD...sort of a compilation of some of canada's great musicians....neil young ..joni mitchell....its a very nice cd.:cool:

Mark Singer
07-17-2005, 11:09 PM
He really is great and I don't get tired of his music. I will probably get a few more...
John and Michael count me in as another old Rush fan...All the Worlds a stage is never far from my CD player...

Mark...I'm trying to listen to Chris Botti right now(never heard of him before as i have sort of ignored jazz the past 15 years or so...)...amazing horn player..sounds alot like Miles Davis...the background players are giving me some trouble though...I need to get Miles out of head and listen to what they are playing and not what I think I want to hear......I see on the website they play at Humpheys down in SD...that is a real nice place to see jazz....

I kind of started this to find some new music and you guys have not let me down...

Vaughn McMillan
07-18-2005, 12:35 AM
I've got a pretty wide range of stuff in the car changer...a recent compilation has BT, Fountains of Wayne, Leo Koteke, Phil Keaggy, Death Cab for Cutie, Sarah McLachlan, Delirium, Sonny Landreth, Rubyhorse, and R.L. Burnside. That's one CD. I've also got Yes, Porcupine Tree, Eric Johnson, Ambrosia, Frou Frou (and/or Imogen Heap), Jeff Beck, Nickel Creek, eastmountainsouth, and Hem shuffling around in there.

I'd not heard of about 80% of these artists/bands until a few years ago when I finally gave up on local over-the-air radio, and started listening to a lot of Internet radio. I've purchased more music (via Amazon or iTunes) in the past two years than I had in the previous ten, and it's all been due to hearing non-mainstream, non-Clear Channel radio. Over-the-air "classic rock" and "country" have become so repetitive that a lot of good music has become ruined in my eyes (or ears). A lot of the Led Zep/AC-DC/Eagles/Def Leppard/Skynard rock I grew up with has been so overplayed that I have a hard time listening to it any more. I listen mainly to Radio Paradise (http://radioparadise.com) (no affiliation whatsoever), since they play a nice, commercial-free, eclectic mix of stuff. It's all over the map, from Hank Williams and Johnny Cash to Lucinda Williams and the Clash, with some world and classical and jazz thrown in for good measure.

It's interesting to me to see the musical choices of others here on SMC. I was surprised to see all these old guys who liked rock and roll, then I realized I'm the same age as these old guys. (I'm still convinced I'm younger than my dad was at this age. ;) )

- Vaughn

Bob Yarbrough
07-18-2005, 1:17 AM
Allison Krause, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, THE BAND, Neil Young, Norah Jones, and when I just feel a little bit crazy, Frank Zappa.

Allan Johanson
07-18-2005, 3:15 AM
I have a pretty wide range of musical interests, but being Canadian, RUSH is definitely played a lot around here. :D

In my truck, I've got Sasha, John Digweed, Paul Oakenfold and some other techno mixes. I bet the vast majority of you guys haven't heard of these - and you probably wouldn't want to. ;)

In the shop I've got Global Underground CDs (more techno), Sisters of Mercy, Jam & Spoon, Depeche Mode, Bauhaus

In the house in the CD changer is Delerium and a bunch of 80's mixes.

...and you don't want to know what CDs are in my wife's two cars. :eek:

One thing I'll have in common with most of you guys - you won't find Rap "music" around here. :D

Cheers,

Allan

John Hart
07-18-2005, 4:34 AM
Fleetwood Mac - ZZ Top - Bad Company - Sarah Brightman - Chihiro Onitzuka - Queen - Heart - Led Zepplin - Journey - REO Speedwagon - Rick Wakeman, Journey to the Center of the Earth - Mike Olfield, Tubular Bells.

Thomas Prondzinski
07-18-2005, 7:01 AM
5 disc changer,5 Pink Floyd discs,sometimes Rush,Pat Benatar,Ozzy,Zepplin.

Tom

Keith Starosta
07-18-2005, 7:58 AM
In the family truckster, as of last night, is Disc 2 of the Garth Brooks Live collection. In my going-to-work vehicle, I believe I currently have the volume up pretty loud for Pearl Jam's Ten cd. An all-time classic for one of the members of SMC's younger generation..... ;) :D

Keith

Glenn Clabo
07-18-2005, 8:42 AM
Haven't played a CD is a long time...but according to the IPod play count....I've really mellowed in my old age....
David Wilcox
Jack Johnson
Keb Mo'
Chris Botti
Michael Buble'
Chris Botti w/Michael Buble' - "A Song For You" hooked me on both.

Donnie Raines
07-18-2005, 9:52 AM
I suspect I will scare a few with this:

I have a 6 disk changer: Roy Orbison, Morbid Angel, Mercifull Fate, Pink Floyd, Cameo and Andrea Bochelli.

For those who are curious about Morbid Angel and Merciful fate...head on over to www.borders.com and type in said band name. I shall point out that I attend church twice a week....I like the heavy sound and agressiveness....thats it( ;) :o )

Ken Fitzgerald
07-18-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm a 1960's early 70's fan. Anything Beatles, Stones, 60's mid-west Rock and Motown....Temptations, New Colony Six, Chicago, Stevey Wonder.

JayStPeter
07-18-2005, 12:19 PM
My CD changer has been gathering dust since my wife joined me in iPod ownership. I have over 100 CDs ripped onto mine, ranging in time from hair bands and southern rock from my high school days to the latest Green Day (one of my current favorites). For the most part, I like hard rock. But, I do have some Blues, Jazz, Rockabilly, and even Big Band on the iPod. So far, I haven't ripped any of my Country collection. For some reason, I haven't been interested in that shelf for a few years.
So far, I only have all the live Rush on the iPod though. If I had the entire collection, the random wouldn't hit much else (whatsit, 30 CDs or so). I'm starting to rethink that though as there are too many versions of the same songs. Plus, they split 2112 into discreet tracks on some and I'll just get a piece when in random. I may do something I have yet to do ... split up CDs and pick and choose tracks.

Jay

Michael Perata
07-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Most of the time SRV, rest of the time, mostly Delta bluesmen.

Michael Ballent
07-18-2005, 1:06 PM
iPod here as well,

Jane's Addiction, Eminem, Abba, Elton John, Sisters of Mercy, CCR, Janet Jackson, Sonic Youth, Ministry, Jimmy Buffett, Marilyn Manson, Bauhaus, White Zombie, Steve Miller Band.

It's all over the place. :D

Earl Reid
07-18-2005, 1:54 PM
Looks like I'm a outsider on this one. We have over 1000 Lps and I have been putting a lot of them on CDS. There is a fairly good mixture, but most of them are good old Country, We have a Sony player that has 400 CD capacity. I am a big fan of Willie.
Earl :D

Jay Knepper
07-18-2005, 5:00 PM
Mary Gauthier, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Rednexx, Robinella and the CC String Band, James McMurtry.

Lee DeRaud
07-18-2005, 5:47 PM
I've got two full 300-disc changers, top one for rock/pop, bottom for jazz/new-age. The changer in the car is strictly for home-brew "mix" discs.

Just got back from vacation, found an Amazon package on the porch: latest Patrick O'Hearn and latest (last, alas) Pete Bardens.

(Stealth gloat warning) And an email message from Ticketmaster that my Santana tickets are in the mail. :cool:

Don Baer
07-18-2005, 6:01 PM
Since my new truck came with Xm I never bother to use the CD player. In the shop I listen to mostly Country....:D

Jon Olson
07-19-2005, 9:54 AM
Donnie - Morbid Angel Merciful Fate----Never would of thought I read those names on this site. Had a friend who played those constantly during our early driving years.

Jon

Jon Olson
07-19-2005, 9:57 AM
Mine:
Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, the Ataris, Rush, Pink Floyd, The Stray Cats.

Jon

Bob Borzelleri
07-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Well, the shop CD player has "Compact Disc Laser Lens Cleaner version 42-123". As for the 5 disc player, the ipod and the Phatnoise in my wife's car, the list is just short of endless. However, here are a few in the stack about to get reshuffled back into the rack:

Lee Ritenour - Stolen Moments

k.d. lang AND THE RECLINES - Absolute Torch and Twang

Tiger Okoshi - "Echoes of a Note" A Tribute to Louis "Pops" Armstrong

Bob Kindred - Hidden Treasures

The Teaching Company - Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution, Lecture 9: Muons and Time Traveling Twins, Lost Christianities, Lecture 4: Gnostic Christianity

Richard Stoltzman - Visions

Richard Stoltzman - Arias

Terry Perez - Crossover Cello

The Band - The Band

Muriel Anderson - Theme for Two Friends

Stevie Ray Vaughn - In Step

Diana Krall - Live in Paris

Michael Buble - it's time

The Judds - Heartland

Michael McDonald - Motown

Jeremy Williams - Celtic Dreams

Flim & the BB's - TriCycle

Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company

Pavorotti & Friends 2

Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters - Still River

Andrea Bocelli - Andrea

Michael Chapdelaine/Daniel Roest - Great Guitars

Tim O'Brien - Red on Blonde

Tim O'Brien and Darrell Scott - Real Time

Nickel Creek - This Side

That's it for now.

...Bob

Bob Nieman
07-19-2005, 2:37 PM
No CD player, just a radio, which on Saturdays is tuned to Opera, which I am learning to like. Nothing like a rainy day listening to the opera. Unfortunately I live in a desert and rain during the day is a rare thing. I did rig up a system to listen to my Sirius radio, which is usually tuned to Sirius Disorder, a station with no discernable genre. They play a little bit of everything and despite listening for nearly a year, much of the music is new to me. Maria Callas to Ray Charles to Lucinda Williams to something from Africa to the Shirelles to Lou Reed to Woody Guthrie to Cab Calloway to any number of artists I have never heard of. New and old and usually great music (OK, the Paul Anka version of Smells Like Teen Spirit is more than a little strange).

I don't even listen to CDs in the house and buy fewer than 2 a year (usually Christmas music). I listen to Sirius through the computer.

Peter Gavin
07-19-2005, 2:40 PM
Lately--

Mekons
Bill Monroe
The Executioners Last Songs (Various Artists)
Pine Valley Cosmonauts

Most of the time the LOML has control of the cd changer.

Peter

Jim Hinze
07-19-2005, 4:38 PM
In the workshop, my cd player has a varied range:

Enya, Andreas Boccelli, Dido, Hatebreed, Godsmack, Disturbed, Atreau ..

In the car, it's all audio books (the only time I get to read, so-to-speak).

Ian Barley
07-19-2005, 5:17 PM
Another vote for Audiobooks - All my CD's tend to get ripped to my Ipodalike (Creative zen) but I mostly listened to downloaded audiobooks. Have "read" more of the classics that I meant to get round to in the last year than in the previous 10 years.

Mark Singer
07-22-2005, 12:16 PM
A great CD I just got is Gordon Lightfoot "United Artists Collection" I have been a fan of his for years....This 2 cd set is incredible! and is very reasonable...

If he were a woodworker....he would be , Maloof, Krenov and wendell Castle in one man! Great writing , wonderful voice , great guitar ....his music is a treasure to enjoy

Scott Parks
07-22-2005, 11:43 PM
CD Player? What's that? Hmmm.. I've got these files called MP3? On my current play list, it is variety, mostly hard rock.

I prefer current Rock or Country. I get bored with CD's, or anything old. I listen for about 3 months, then move on. So, I mostly listen to radio, they always play the most current music. Why would I buy a CD when I'm tired of that one good song 3 months later. Hey, radio is free. Then yet I always pass the time on airplanes listening to MP3 music on my PDA.

JR Mapes
07-23-2005, 2:36 AM
Depends on my mood that day... but mostly its either Dino or Mr. Sinatra or one of the various Rat Pack CDs. Other days its Classical or Opera, or even Big Band/Swing. Of course if one of my friends or SWMBO is around I usually just trun on the radio to the nearest oldies station; they dont seem to care for my taste in music.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-23-2005, 3:37 AM
Can a fella go wrong with the Merle Haggard boxed set? Me thinks not...

John Hart
07-23-2005, 7:32 AM
Not long ago, I joined an OTR (Old Time Radio) club and started downloading all the old programs from the 30's to the 60's. I've created about 30 CDs of The Shadow, Mel Blanc, Bob Hope's USO tours, George and Gracie, Lucile Ball, The Lone Ranger, War of the Worlds, etc etc etc. It was a wonderful period.

Last year, I made up 6 10-CD sets and made Brazillian Cherry CD Boxes for all the members of my family. It has been a very rewarding project.

Dave Dionne
07-24-2005, 9:19 PM
I have a varied interests but Here is another old RUSH fan, I keep A farewell to Kings and 2112 around all the time, Led Zep, Pink FLoyd, Stones, allot of Jimmy Buffett, and my #1 party band J. Geils band (seen them 17 times) considered a neighborhood band for me.

It's all good when I am in my shop

Mike Cutler
07-24-2005, 9:38 PM
All of Linkin Park, Sister Hazel, Creed. Everything Bob Marley has done that I could find. Sanding to the Wailers is one of those "zen" type experiences. These are the usual suspect, but the iPod has 30 something days of continuous music on it. Blondie, Clash, Dead Kennedy's, Tim McGraw..etc :cool:

Scott Coffelt
07-25-2005, 8:07 AM
Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of Reason is currently in the truck, with Kingdom Come, Chris Rea and Mark Knofler on deck. I have a vary wide taste in music, so it can vary on the mood.

Michael Gibbons
07-25-2005, 10:03 AM
C.D's? What about 8 tracks?:rolleyes:

Tom Saurer
07-25-2005, 10:32 AM
I haven't bought a CD or MP3 in years...I get bored listening to the same stuff over and over again. I usually listen to country, Christian Rock, or Sports (Twins, Vikings, Gophers, or Wild).

Ray Wishart
07-25-2005, 11:33 AM
My daughter received a XM Satellite radio for graduation, I fell in love with it so I bought one for my truck that also came with a house adapter for the shop. Mostly listen to the "#46 Deep Tracks" (classic roll n' roll like most of the rest of you), but also go all over the dial when the mood strikes. Never any rap, just a personal preference. The monthly fee for XM is still less than what I used to spend on CD's and I can also record MP3's directly from it.

Bob Mooney
07-26-2005, 9:31 AM
My primary musical interest is Rock...especially 60's stuff: Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, Band, Dylan, CCR, Black Sabbath, Clapton, Grateful Dead, Jimi, Zappa, Doors, Airlplane, Hot Tuna...

I've got a fair assortment of post 60's stuff that I also enjoy: Uncle Tupelo (& offshoots), Jayhawks, Chris Issak, Alejandro Escovedo, Dave Carter/Tracy Grammer, Nanci Griffith, Flatlanders, Joe Ely, Alison Krauss...

Also jazz...Miles, Coltrane, Brubeck, Wynton & Brandon Marsalis, Adderly, Rollins...

Also, a bit of classical for those times when the above don't cut it.

I listen to WFUV, which is out of Fordham U and it has turned me on to lots of new music. I've enjoyed everyone else's picks as well. I've got to check out Botti (?), someone previously compared him to Miles.

Bob

Kent Cori
07-26-2005, 9:45 AM
I'm a smooth jazz and classic rock aficionado.