PDA

View Full Version : Supermax 25x2 ES Dual Drum Sander or Grizzly G9983 15" Wide-Belt Sander?

Matthew Ferreras
11-28-2014, 5:29 PM
Hi Guys,

I had a thread that helping me decide on which drum sander to go with but I figured since I'm so close in price to Grizzly's smallest Wide belt I should consider it, let me know what you guys think about the choice.

I am a hobbiest woodworker who builds furniture and random other things for myself and family/friends.

Here are the two that I am comparing but I am open to other recommendations. In this price range. I would love to buy used so if you know of anyone trying the get rid of a drum or wide belt sander in the northeast let me know.

Supermax 25x2 ES-
Closed end sander capable of 25"
Dual Drum
3 hp motor
6" max thickness
Cost- $3,439
Video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IruHHTfWAh8

Grizzly G9983 15" Wide-Belt Sander
15" single pass, 30" double pass
Single Drum
5hp motor
5.5" max thickness
Cost: $3,695

Thanks,
Matt

Jim Andrew
11-28-2014, 7:44 PM
I have the Grizzly G9983 and enjoy using it. Have never used a drum sander, so can not comment on the difference. I had experience in a shop with a widebelt, so had some experience with them, so that was my choice. Think the only way to create problems for yourself is to try to take too large a cut at one time. I put my panel between the feed belt and sanding belt and make sure I can slide it before turning on the sander. Then I make small adjustments on the wheel as I move the gap tighter.

David Kumm
11-28-2014, 8:54 PM
According to the Grizzly specs the sander has a combo head with a platen. That should give a better finish than drum only heads. If I were sanding veneer flat or doing calibration sanding, the dual drum with support on either end and a flat belt would be my choice. For most finish type sanding, the WB will do better. Keep in mind the WB is a more complicated machine and there is no free lunch. If the cost is about the same and the machine requires pneumatics for oscillation and tracking it MAY be that the components aren't as quality as the Supermax. I used to run Performax sanders and they were well built. Now run WB but not Grizzly so no help as to specific components. Dave

Peter Kelly
11-28-2014, 9:50 PM
Check the power requirements of each, I'd imagine the Grizzly draws more amps then the Performax. Also, the widebelt will require compressed air where the drum sander will not. Both will need more dust collection capacity than most other machines.

Lots of hidden costs beyond the the machines themselves with either choice.

Jim Andrew
11-29-2014, 7:54 AM
The Grizzly book recommended 8 gauge wire, and you do have to run compressed air to the machine. I have a small compressor, and it runs occasionally as I am sanding. The least expensive belts are a 5 pack from Grizzly, paper, which last very well. The secret to long life of belts is getting them put into the machine correctly, and turning off the compressed air when you are finished sanding.