PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know what kind of wood this is?

Brian Kent
11-28-2014, 1:15 PM
I do not remember what kind of wood this is. Does anyone know?
I got a very small cup out of a pretty big piece of wood after cutting out all of the fatally cracked parts. But I'm happy with the cup. (Staff presents time)

Joe Kieve
11-28-2014, 2:13 PM
Pics are kinda blurry but first and last one looks a lot like black cherry to me.

John Keeton
11-28-2014, 2:47 PM
IMO, the grain is too open for cherry. Nice wood, though!!

Tom Hamilton D'ville, GA
11-28-2014, 2:54 PM
Looks like Mesquite from this side of the Mississippi.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-28-2014, 3:50 PM
I do not remember what kind of wood this is. Does anyone know?
I got a very small cup out of a pretty big piece of wood after cutting out all of the fatally cracked parts. But I'm happy with the cup. (Staff presents time)

I was going to say it is bad wood with splits running from one end to the other, but you already have taken a flitch from it and turned it, see some tearout in the turning, kind of eliminates Elm, but it still could be, other thought is Honey Locust, certainly not Cherry, but the pictures are really awfully bad to tell what the wood is, just guessing by what can be seen, kind of.

Shawn Pachlhofer
11-28-2014, 4:59 PM
I'm going with mesquite

Leo Van Der Loo
11-28-2014, 5:33 PM
I'm going with mesquite

You could very well be right Shawn, like Honey and Black Locust, Mesquite is in the extended Acacia legume family and have a similar grain & wood appearance, Up here it would not be Mesquite ;) but down in the south west it has a good chance that it is :)

Brian Kent
11-29-2014, 12:49 AM
It is from Southern Arizona and I know there was some mesguite in the load, so I bet that's it. By the time I cut away all of the total gaps, I had about 1/8 of the total volume available. This is the second piece in the photos and I have my doubts about saving any of it.

I have not yet secured enough local wood sources to find wood without cracks and shakes. Plenty of trees, but I still need to build the relationships with the local arborists.

Roger Chandler
11-29-2014, 10:24 AM
The turned piece looks like mesquite to me..............Kathy M. sent me some from Arizona, and it really looks like what I had from her.