PDA

View Full Version : Best way to furnish Medals 'n Ribbons to my customer? - help!

Bill Stearns
11-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Hi All - Need help fast!
I have furnished award medals (1-3/4"circular) for customers 'n the past, but only a few at a time. Have just now finished engraving 300 for a team. (I attached engraved flexi-brass discs to the back side of each medal.) - presently, I have 'em all loose in a one carton. The 300 ribbons (with snap clips) are packaged separately. My question: if you've delivered hundreds of medals to a customer - do you keep medals 'n ribbons separate? - or do you pre-attach ribbons to each medal for your customers? (If so - any worries of 'em getting all tangled up?) Eager to hear!

Bill

Dave Sheldrake
11-28-2014, 11:22 AM
metal to metal with a ribbon in between could lead to damage maybe Bill?

Mark Sipes
11-28-2014, 11:50 AM
I do hundreds of medals also. The neck ribbons come packaged in groups of 10. I attach the medals to the ribbons and add an additional rubber band at the clip end. This keeps them from moving and hitting each other, not that there is a lot of movement set in a box with paper towels between them.

Pete James
11-28-2014, 3:57 PM
If you are going to attach medals to ribbons, you should add a small amount for the service.

Medals generally come in cello packs. Use the packs for the completed medal/ribbon.

Ross Moshinsky
11-28-2014, 5:34 PM
If you are going to attach medals to ribbons, you should add a small amount for the service.

Medals generally come in cello packs. Use the packs for the completed medal/ribbon.

The medal should be attached to the ribbon by you, the vendor. It doesn't matter how JDS/Marco/PDU/CAT/Simba/ect ect ect sell them to you. Would you sell a plaque to a customer with the plate in one bag and the plaque in another?

If the customer is willing to put the ribbon on the metal, then you can give a small price reduction.

Bill Stearns
11-28-2014, 6:05 PM
Hey All -
Forgot to say: I took those 300 medals (and disc inserts) to my son's house on Thanksgiving. My daughter 'n law got my small grandkids to help; made a game of it! One kid took the medals out' a the small bags, the other kid peeled off the flexi-brass backing on the discs - while my daughter 'n law applied the discs to the medals. Would've taken me forever. They had the project done in a short period of time! Today, I e-mailed my customer, asking how she'd like the medals 'n ribbons delivered. Turns out, she said it'd be ok to deliver 'em with ribbons unattached. Apparently, she has help to do that, as they award 'em to the participants. (I learned 'lesson from this experience. Hadn't charged near enough for the unpacking 'n attaching discs - then, attaching ribbons, too! Live 'n learn! Still, thanks guys for your info 'n suggestions ....

Bill

Mark Sipes
11-28-2014, 7:34 PM
Hey All -
I learned 'lesson from this experience. Hadn't charged near enough for the unpacking 'n attaching discs - then, attaching ribbons, too! Live 'n learn! Still, thanks guys for your info 'n suggestions ....

Bill

As do so many new to the "retail" end of a sale, you gave the farm away to get the order. The customer will want the same deal next year and when you jack your prices up to actually cover your costs then they will go away and find another farmer who gives great deals. When you quoted then customer a price, what multiple over all your costs did you use. 3x, 4x cost of materials + shipping + labor and production. Mine go for 5.95 - 6.25 each engraved maybe a 5-10 discount for quantity... + sales tax.

Bill Stearns
11-28-2014, 8:26 PM
MARK -
If you're saying there are youth hockey teams in your area willing to spend $1,785 for 300 medals 'w ribbons - ($5.95 ea.) - well, Lucky You! Especially, if they keep returning to you. It is pretty common here that these teams order their needs via the Internet for a song 'n a dance. So, I felt fortunate to get their business this year. My overall profit margin on those medals 'n ribbons was 35% - fair enough for me, and within their budget. Also: any short-comings in profits for the medals were made up by their ordering a whole mess of plaques 'n several large trophy cups. (which were very profitable for me.) (I wasn't asking 'bout pricing any how, but rather 'bout how to best furnish the medals 'n ribbons to the customer.) So, don't jump to the conclusion that I am "new' to retailing - or dumber than a rock! It's the overall profit margin on any given project that counts! (Sorry, Mark. Guess I did indicate to you that I hadn't changed enough; could've charged more - Long Day!)

Farmer,
Bill

Mark Sipes
11-28-2014, 9:39 PM
BILL , well what can I say ! , I'll leave it there.

Sorry for misdirected comments.

Mark Signing Off