PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander Grits

Bill George
11-28-2014, 9:35 AM
I have the small Grizzly 12 inch drum sander coming the G0459. Primary use for now, is taking some re sawed red cedar boards and removing, slowly yes I know, saw marks and truing the board. I can finish sand with my orbital sander.
So considering the size and it has a belt drive 1 1/2 Hp motor can I start out with say some 40 grit and then go to 100? Suggestions?

Yes I did a couple searches but not able to bring up this info.

Mark Bolton
11-28-2014, 9:56 AM
You'll likely never need to go as low as 40 especially with cedar. I run 80 and 120 on a dual drum and it'll clean anything.

Bill Huber
11-28-2014, 10:49 AM
You'll likely never need to go as low as 40 especially with cedar. I run 80 and 120 on a dual drum and it'll clean anything.

I agree with Mark, 40 grit will eat cedar up really quick. The lowest I go is 80 for end grain cutting boards and I have 100 grit in my Jet 10-20 most of the time.

Mark Bolton
11-28-2014, 11:20 AM
I agree with Mark, 40 grit will eat cedar up really quick. The lowest I go is 80 for end grain cutting boards and I have 100 grit in my Jet 10-20 most of the time.

100 woulda been my thought as well for a single drum and id guess if there wasnt heavy cleanup one could get away with 120. When what I'm running is clean I switch to 100 and 120 because the scratches from the 80 can be a bear to cut out with RO. If I were running clean soft woods more id likely try 120-150 (dual drum).

Cary Falk
11-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I just leave 120 on my 18/36 sander. It wasn't worth it to me to keep switching grits. I tried 60 one time and it was way too coarse and took a long time to remove the sanding marks. I think 120 is the sweet spot. Not so deep scratches that you can't get them out fairly easily and doesn't burn and clog as easily as 150+.

Bill Huber
11-28-2014, 11:55 AM
I go though crepe sticks like that are candy......:D

CPeter James
11-28-2014, 12:11 PM
What do you mean by "truing the board"? Like a planer, these sanders can smooth a board the is badly but not flatten it.

CPeter

Bill George
11-28-2014, 12:24 PM
What do you mean by "truing the board"? Like a planer, these sanders can smooth a board the is badly but not flatten it.
CPeter

Making sure it flat enough to laser engrave. It will not be severely warped or cupped or it goes to my son for the planer. Its my understanding it just takes longer with a sander vs a planer and I don't have room or a need for both.

And Bill I do have those clean up sticks, in fact I have a couple. Can't always find the one I want!! Between my metal lathe, metal milling machine, welders, grinders, two band saws, laser machine and plasma cutters and Etc, I really need more room.

Rick Fisher
11-29-2014, 1:26 AM
A sander is extremely slow. Ideally, a board goes into it flat and planed, even then its multiple passes. Drum sanders are fussy because if you try to take too much, or have a high spot in a board, you can easily burn the paper.

John TenEyck
11-29-2014, 10:07 AM
You can flatten a board with a drum sander but it's long and slow process, much better to start out with something that has been face jointed and then planed. I use 100 grit sometimes but 120 grit most of the time in my Delta 18x36. Klingspore sanding strips last the longest and cut the cleanest for me. They also don't load up as quickly as Delta's brand.

John

Bill George
11-29-2014, 11:56 AM
What I said : Making sure it flat enough to laser engrave. It will not be severely warped or cupped or it goes to my son for the planer. Its my understanding it just takes longer with a sander vs a planer and I don't have room or a need for both.

Thanks for the replies guys. I understood when I posted as above, just wanted the Grit recommendations. Got 80, 100 and 120 on order, as usual no place in town carries.

Mark Bolton
11-29-2014, 12:45 PM
What I said : Making sure it flat enough to laser engrave. It will not be severely warped or cupped or it goes to my son for the planer. Its my understanding it just takes longer with a sander vs a planer and I don't have room or a need for both.

Thanks for the replies guys. I understood when I posted as above, just wanted the Grit recommendations. Got 80, 100 and 120 on order, as usual no place in town carries.

Same here Bill. I dont have any local access either.

Bill George
11-29-2014, 2:32 PM
Same here Bill. I dont have any local access either.

If you call and ask, they can order it for you?

I am also considering a planer if the sander does not work out, depends on if I keep selling signs.

Mark Bolton
11-29-2014, 2:39 PM
If you call and ask, they can order it for you?

I am also considering a planer if the sander does not work out, depends on if I keep selling signs.

I just order it along with my other abrasives. I dont think youll be unhappy with a sander. Ive hade zero issues with regards to what others speak of with drum sanders. If your burning you are likely feeding too fast, too fine a grit, or too heavy a cut. Our dual drum is no widebelt but I cant imagine life without it. Major labor saver.

I disagree with the other replies with regards to flattening. The pressure rolls on sanders are not anything like those on a planer. A sander will do a lot off flattening with regards to cup. Its no jointer.. but...

Bill George
11-29-2014, 4:06 PM
I just order it along with my other abrasives. I dont think youll be unhappy with a sander. Ive hade zero issues with regards to what others speak of with drum sanders. If your burning you are likely feeding too fast, too fine a grit, or too heavy a cut. Our dual drum is no widebelt but I cant imagine life without it. Major labor saver.

I disagree with the other replies with regards to flattening. The pressure rolls on sanders are not anything like those on a planer. A sander will do a lot off flattening with regards to cup. Its no jointer.. but...

I am hoping anyway. Did a lot of research online before ordering the one I have coming. IF I had the space and the money my son has to spend on power tools maybe I would have both. But unlike me, he also does a lot of woodworking, and very nice woodworking I might add. Don't get me wrong I buy tools and machines, but I have a very wide range of interests. I have a state of the art $2500 new Miller welder in my shop, so I do spent money!

Bradley Gray
11-29-2014, 11:05 PM
I have 2 planers, but I would still surface re sawn cedar with my drum sander. I have a dual drum supermax. For red cedar straight from the band saw I use 80 & 100 grit.

Bill George
12-02-2014, 7:53 PM
Got my Grizzly 12 inch drum sander today. It would have been here last Wednesday, but SaLa routed it through Dallas Texas in route to Des Moines from Kansas City! When I called to find out what was going on, the lady said, that sometimes happens..... Sorry.
Box had some slight damage which I noted on the ticket but got it home and unpacked. Looked ok, a lot of set up time, I had to install the elevation crank and that was it! Turned it on and even cold from the truck it started up just fine. Ran the first board without the dust collector (shop Vac) hooked up. First and last time for that. Stalled the motor and tripped motor protector just one time learning the ropes.
The thing is a beast. I will need to use a come a long to put up on the roller stand.

I sanded down my cedar board for a sign being done tomorrow. Sanded some of the re-sawed red cedar, and the back side of another cedar board that was just rough sawn. Works great!
Spare rolls of sandpaper will be here Friday.

I will insp and oil and lube tomorrow but like my other Grizzly tool a small milling machine I do not expect any problems.