PDA

View Full Version : Single line fonts

Brent Brod
07-17-2005, 4:02 PM
I'm trying to find a font that uses single lines to form the letters. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The idea is to create some quick labels on a complex work by running them in vector mode. I used regular fonts the first time, but rastering the labels took longer than cutting the work.

If I simply turn off the fill and turn on the outline of the regular font, I get something that is more complex than I need and it takes longer.

Robert Alexander
07-17-2005, 4:57 PM
Brent
try simplex. It is a single line font I use all the time in CAD drawings

Doug McIntyre
07-18-2005, 6:56 AM
Brent,

Message sent to your inbox.

Brent Brod
07-18-2005, 8:41 PM
Robert,

I had trouble finding a windows version of simplex, but that is the idea I was after.

Doug,

The Eng_Futuraline font does it just great.

Thanks to you both,
-Brent

Chuck Burke
07-19-2005, 2:08 AM
Brent
There is a tutorial at www.unleash.com about creating your own fonts in Corel.
I think it costs about $5.00 and may be of some help.

Chuck Burke
American Pacific Awards.

Brent Brod
07-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Interesting...I guess I figured you'd need a special tool to make fonts. Then again, CorelDraw is a special tool ;)

Chuck Burke
07-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Brent, you are right Corel is a special tool. It's not the industry standard for no reason :)

Chuck

Roy Brewer
07-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Brent, you are right Corel is a special tool. It's not the industry standard for no reason Chuck

Chuck/Brent:

CorelDRAW uses and creates outline fonts only. Designer (now owned by Corel), in addition to using outline fonts, uses what they call plotter fonts(many of which are single line). Hopefully some day in the future, more DRAW features will be put in Designer or this incredibly useful feature will be included in DRAW.

John McDaniels has created several fonts that *look* like single line fonts, but since really outline, I don't think they will be that for which Brent seeks: they take too long and will, of course, be wider than single line since each part is really engraved twice. {John's solution is really assumption on my part based on my understanding of how Corel uses fonts; John may log on and tell me that I am all wet!!!}

The most elegant solution is engraving software. For instance, those who already own Xenetech (mechanical or laser) use regular engraving fonts when they need small/fast/vectored letters. Any windows based engraving software will do the same(?), but neither Xenetech nor their competitors "give" that away.

Robert A suggested Simplex. Simplex is a CAD font. I've never seen a CAD program that doesn't make available single line fonts. Brent, in the back of your manual is a chapter that explains how to run directly from aCAD. Before you get too excited, however, I must warn you that for some reason the cutter path is usually horendous when these fonts are plotted from CAD. For instance, a single line S may have 3-4 cutter ups -- even worse, sometimes the top 1/2 of a letter will be done on one letter then top part of another char...[you get the idea]

HTH,