PDA

View Full Version : Cedar----- Hollow Form

Gary Max
07-17-2005, 2:42 PM
This Cedar hollow form is 6 inches tall and 9 inches wide---opening in the top is just under 1 1/2. Base is a little to thick--- @ about one inch--- sides and top are fine under 1/2 thick.
This form is not really a big seller for me but does add to the display---heck I was looking at my bowls this morning and realized I had sold my last one.
It is fresh off the lathe and has it's first coat of finish on.
As bad as Cedar cracks it is very inportant to get the first coat of finish on.
Hope you enjoy.

Jeremiah Jordan
07-17-2005, 3:31 PM
Wow, very nice peice. How many hours did that take to turn?

Chris Barton
07-17-2005, 5:58 PM
Hi Gary,

Wow! What a great looking hollow form! I have been wanting to work some cedar and I think you have given me the inspriation. What do you use to do the hollow form work with and what kind of finish do you use on cedar?

Thanks,

Chris

Gary Max
07-17-2005, 7:14 PM
I spent about 7 hours hollowing this out---I really do no have the right set up to be fast at this. I am using two Sorby holloiwing tools--the ones you can change the tips.
This piece of Cedar has been drying for about 3 years----Cedar really aint a good choice for making this form.

Jim Becker
07-17-2005, 7:35 PM
Very nice...that cedar is very pretty stuff!

Gary, you're a brave man turning a hollow form like that with face-plate orientation, rather than end-grain orientation. The Sorby tools you are using (and all similar) are designed specifically for hollowing end-grain, but will work fine if you keep them keen and with a good burr.

Gary Max
07-17-2005, 8:00 PM
Jim that's kinda the funny part of teaching yourself how to do something.
I end up doing it the hard way.
You are right about sharp tools and this being a bear to turn.

Not that my stuff is great----it is mine. You can sit here and watch people copy other folks all day long. I work hard to never copy --even my own work--I want ever piece to be unique.
This form will sit in the center of a display ---just to stop people walking by.

Jim Becker
07-17-2005, 8:04 PM
But you know, Gary...if you can do it in the soft cedar with that orientation...you can do it in anything! I bet that form will be something that really will have folks stop and look at your stuff.

Gary Max
07-17-2005, 8:49 PM
Jim ---I hope other folks read this tread---I had to remove the windows from my shop.
That's the end of the shop where the lathes sets-- a blank this size will fly through a window-- or knock a person out---I always try and tell people that this is very dangerous. I would hate to think of how many people get hurt every year turning.
It would only take a second to get seriously hurt.

John Hart
07-18-2005, 4:51 AM
Wow Gary...that's a beautiful piece. Pretty amazing that people just walk by without buying. I still haven't put a tool to that big blank of mine..(waiting on a custom tool rest) but you sure are inspiring me to give this a shot!

Gary Max
07-18-2005, 7:44 AM
John ---I will post a pic of this when the wife gets done with the finish. It may take a while since she takes her time about it----of course that is what will make it shine.
I am thinking about giving Watco a try and see how Cedar likes it. I am still working hard to get as many items turned as possible---our first big show is in Aug.