PDA

View Full Version : New cutoff sled

James Biddle
07-17-2005, 1:46 PM
I made myself a cutoff sled this weekend. I still have to finsh it, but I want to build a dado jig first and finish them together. It's made of 5/8" maple ply. It has a few small voids in it, but it's fine for shop stuff. Thanks for looking.

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/cutoffsled1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/cutoffsled2.jpg

Curt Harms
07-17-2005, 2:17 PM
Hi James

Looks good-The clear cover over the blade looks like a neat idea. Does it help contain the sawdust from the top of the blade? Nice job.

Curt

Roy Wall
07-17-2005, 3:05 PM
James,

I like the fact you use the handle as a blade cove too!! 2 for 1 deal!

Nice work.....did you fabricate the blade guard from plexiglas....?

John Miliunas
07-17-2005, 3:15 PM
James, very nice sled! It looks like the guard you have on there is removeable...Yes/no? Also, single or dual runners on it and, in either case, what type of material did you use for the runners?:) :cool:

James Biddle
07-17-2005, 3:39 PM
Thanks. The blade cover is made of Lexan that I bought from Highland Hardware. It is removable and I notched Lexan and routed two different height slots to hold it. As pictured, it is 1" above the table. If I reverse it, it sits 2" above the table. I may add a screw to hold it in place for when I store it.

I put two runners on it. I used phenolic and used a card scraper to fit it to the miter slot. Next time I'll try the aluminum ones from Prairie River.

I still need to decide how and where to store it. I have some prime wall space I'm saving for cabinets or shelves. I've got some more wall space behind the furnace or I could ceiling mount it. Any suggestions?

Doug Shepard
07-17-2005, 4:40 PM
I still need to decide how and where to store it. I have some prime wall space I'm saving for cabinets or shelves. I've got some more wall space behind the furnace or I could ceiling mount it. Any suggestions?

Nice job on the sled. Mine's nowhere near that nice, but for storage I just leave mine on the saw. It doubles as a cover to stop surface rust in my hot humid garage-shop. It just gets leaned up against a wall if I need to remove it from the TS for non-crosscutting use.

Warren White
07-17-2005, 7:41 PM
James,
That is one fine sled! I want to build one myself. Was your built from a set of plans, or did you come up with it yourself? I really like your execution of this project.

I am going to look into the Prairie River runners.

Warren

Corey Hallagan
07-17-2005, 7:54 PM
That is sweet! Nice work!

Corey

lou sansone
07-17-2005, 10:24 PM
real nice sled. I should make one that nice

lou