PDA

View Full Version : Rosetter Cutters - Has anyone used then in their drill press?

George Bokros
11-26-2014, 7:49 PM
I am considering purchasing one for a project I am working on and am wondering if anyone on SMC has used one to make some rosettes? I know they are a little pricey ~$60 for one.

I would be making them in red oak on a post I am making for a bath remodel.

Thanks

Clay Crocker
11-26-2014, 8:01 PM
I just bought and used a rosette cutter for the first time on a recent project. I was very happy with the results. Make sure the work piece is clamped down securely while you are cutting and apply very light pressure during the cut.

George Bokros
11-26-2014, 8:14 PM
Where did you buy yours Clay? What size cutter did you get?

Thanks Clay.

Mel Fulks
11-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Drill press is probably going to be too slow for oak. Had the best luck with an aluminum corg head made for doing rosetts.
cant remember where we bought it. Schmidt? Used it with a variable speed router on the lower speed end.

Rich Engelhardt
11-27-2014, 1:44 AM
Not a problem!
Hartville Hdw. had one on closeout a few years ago & I picked it up for ~ $30.00.

I've used it often in my piece of junk GMC drill press making rosettes out of red oak.
You're welcome to borrow mine if all you need to do is make a couple.

Marvin Hasenak
11-27-2014, 1:52 AM
I used one of these http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/rosette.htm Did a god job.

George Bokros
11-27-2014, 6:51 AM
Not a problem!
Hartville Hdw. had one on closeout a few years ago & I picked it up for ~ $30.00.

I've used it often in my piece of junk GMC drill press making rosettes out of red oak.
You're welcome to borrow mine if all you need to do is make a couple.

Thanks for the offer Rich. I purchased some plinth blocks to use on the vanity and as I thought about it I need to match the pattern so finding a cutter will be difficult so I have pretty much given up on putting rosettes on the post.

Lee Schierer
11-27-2014, 8:21 AM
Make sure your drill press quill does not have any slop in the gearing to raise/lower it. If there is too much free play the cutter will chatter as it hits hard and soft areas in the grain.

Marvin Hasenak
11-27-2014, 1:13 PM
You can use an adjustable circle cutter, just grind the head to different shape than it is. I made small wooden car wheels using one, I made up several cutters using my Dremel to create special shaped cutters.

Clay Crocker
11-28-2014, 11:56 PM
I bought mine from MLCS same as Marvin.