PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing engraving machine

Terrie Bryan
11-25-2014, 8:53 PM
Hi, I am hoping someone with engraving experience can help. I currently have a pet tag business where I manually stamp every tag with metal stamps, letter by letter, character by character, all by hand. It's a lot of manual labor and I've been thinking about adding an engraving machine for some time but cannot figure out what I need. I'm not looking to engrave pet tags that look like the ones from Petsmart and Petco, but with deeper engraving such as my stamped tags. So far companies have recommended to me the U Marq GEM-FX5 and the Roland EGX-350. However, I've read comments in this forum that indicate these machines are not the best. I noticed Vision was recommended and another company that I can't think of right now, I think it was something Hall.

The metals I engrave are nickel silver, aluminum, brass, and copper. I might like to do some stainless steel in the future but I do not use it at this time because stamping stainless is too hard. I want a rotary machine (I guess?) that can do deeper engraving and I'd like to be able to do any font that I am able to download and also clip art. It would be great if it can do photos too but it doesn't have to.

Can someone recommend a machine for me? I would so appreciate the help. I am looking to spend approximately what the above-referenced machines cost but it's not written in stone.

Thanks!

Bert Kemp
11-25-2014, 9:12 PM
Terrie This basically a Laser engraving forum not sure how many metal engravers are here. If your looking for a laser that will deep engrave metal your not going to find anything in your 6 to 7 K budget range .
You might find a metal engravers forum for better help.

Gary Hair
11-25-2014, 10:05 PM
I would go with a fiber laser. If you get a Chinese made machine you can be in it for less than $15k and it will engrave all of the metals you mentioned without the worries of bits and sharpening like you would with a rotary engraver. Stainless steel wreaks havoc on bits and I think you'll find your time and tools costs are not worth whatever you can charge for the tags. If you want more info feel free to PM me and I'll let you know what I have and how it works.

Gary

Frank barry
11-26-2014, 3:52 AM
Hi Terrie I do a lot of dog id tags I also got one of the machines you mentioned and it was nothing but trouble so I sold it and bought a used Suregrave /Dahlgren Wisard its built like a horse and you can do much more on it and it was half the price of the other machine cheers Frank
you will need a self-centering vice as you will be doing tags

Mike Null
11-26-2014, 5:25 AM
I have a Newing Hall which will do the job well as will machines by Visions and Gravograph. You can find these machines used at a fraction of the price of new equipment.

Terrie Bryan
11-26-2014, 3:20 PM
Thanks, I will look at these machines, appreciate the help!

Peak Glass
11-26-2014, 3:53 PM
Hi, I am hoping someone with engraving experience can help. I currently have a pet tag business where I manually stamp every tag with metal stamps, letter by letter, character by character, all by hand. It's a lot of manual labor and I've been thinking about adding an engraving machine for some time but cannot figure out what I need. I'm not looking to engrave pet tags that look like the ones from Petsmart and Petco, but with deeper engraving such as my stamped tags. So far companies have recommended to me the U Marq GEM-FX5 and the Roland EGX-350. However, I've read comments in this forum that indicate these machines are not the best. I noticed Vision was recommended and another company that I can't think of right now, I think it was something Hall.

The metals I engrave are nickel silver, aluminum, brass, and copper. I might like to do some stainless steel in the future but I do not use it at this time because stamping stainless is too hard. I want a rotary machine (I guess?) that can do deeper engraving and I'd like to be able to do any font that I am able to download and also clip art. It would be great if it can do photos too but it doesn't have to.

Can someone recommend a machine for me? I would so appreciate the help. I am looking to spend approximately what the above-referenced machines cost but it's not written in stone.

Thanks!

Hi Terrie Bryan,

We use fiber marking machine to mark logo on metal product, the result is excellent. If you want to have a look the pictures, I can send them to you. Pleas send private message to me.

Thanks.

Mark Sipes
11-26-2014, 5:03 PM
Terrie I have 2 Newing Hall rotary engravers. I engrave on Aluminum, Brass, Stainless, Silver, Pewter, Plastic. I can import text created from all the fonts in Corel and engrave. Line art engraves nice. Photos are a challenge. You are dealing with a strictly Vector process. Your header/profile does not state where you are located which would be helpful in directing you towards a distributor/source in the future.

Mike Null
11-26-2014, 5:35 PM
If you buy used be sure to check out the software/computer requirements and if a dongle is required and included.

Terrie Bryan
11-27-2014, 2:13 AM
Terrie I have 2 Newing Hall rotary engravers. I engrave on Aluminum, Brass, Stainless, Silver, Pewter, Plastic. I can import text created from all the fonts in Corel and engrave. Line art engraves nice. Photos are a challenge. You are dealing with a strictly Vector process. Your header/profile does not state where you are located which would be helpful in directing you towards a distributor/source in the future.

I'm in Florida, about 45 minutes north of Orlando. I'd love to find a place where I could see a bunch of different machines in person. I talked to Vision today and they think I need the 1612 Pro.

Frank barry
11-27-2014, 5:14 AM
Terrie what kind of tags will you be doing and how many as it will be very difficult to make money doing just tags lets say you buy a machine for 3k you need to buy the tags and engrave them how many per week would you hope to do ?could you get another engraver to do them and make a few$ that way until you get a feel for it ? just some taughts cheers Frank

Mark Sipes
11-27-2014, 5:44 PM
Here is a local rep for Newing Hall . They deal in new and used. I am sure they would be glad to help in any way.

engravingsolutions dot com just go to contact info for telephone and address information

Terrie Bryan
11-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Terrie what kind of tags will you be doing and how many as it will be very difficult to make money doing just tags lets say you buy a machine for 3k you need to buy the tags and engrave them how many per week would you hope to do ?could you get another engraver to do them and make a few$ that way until you get a feel for it ? just some taughts cheers Frank

I already make pet tags and have a business, I just need a machine that can do deep engraving (in metal) so I can transition over from stamping them to engraving them and still have a similar look.

Terrie Bryan
11-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Here is a local rep for Newing Hall . They deal in new and used. I am sure they would be glad to help in any way.

engravingsolutions dot com just go to contact info for telephone and address information

Thanks, I will contact them. The website doesn't show anything used available but maybe they have something not listed which would be great as I'd save money with used equipment but still have the support of the company behind it.