PDA

View Full Version : Fun in Williamsburgh VA

Rick Potter
11-25-2014, 7:42 PM
On a vacation trip. Just spent a couple days in Williamsburgh Colonial Village.

We had a short talk with the guy at the cabinet maker shop, where they were working on a Philadelphia Desk, a Harpsichord, and one fella worked the entire 30 minutes trying to plane one good edge on a 2X6 of Walnut.
Made me appreciate my DJ20 even more.

They were doing beautiful work, the sort I could only dream about.

The next day we visited the joiners shop, where another poor soul was trying to smooth the face of a 1x12 cedar board. It was a wild one, and no matter what he did, some area of the board just ripped out.

They had some really nice work there also, and I asked them what the difference was between a joiner and a cabinet maker. His answer...."We get ours done", sounds like a bit of friendly rivalry there.

One that they got done was a copy of George Washingtons campaign bed. It was a beautiful piece with headboard, overhead canopy, finials and a beautiful faux cherry finish. I believe he said it was made from Poplar.

The amazing thing was how the whole thing folds up to go into a chest for travel. There is a video of it being set up and taken down on You Tube. Look for 'George Washington's folding bed'. It's amazing.

Notice how the rails fold, one going over and the other under for storage.

Rick Potter

John TenEyck
11-25-2014, 10:16 PM
I was just there, too, and saw them working on that same desk in the cabinet maker's shop. There was a reproduction piece along one wall that had the most beautifully made drawers that slid like pistons in their openings. That guy sure knew his craft, but I'm still happy to have all my power tools. I also went to the museum to take a tour of the furniture collection. More great old pieces and the tour guide sure was enthralled with it. But I wasn't looking for a 30 minute dissertation on one piece. I got bored and moved on. Now the Lafayette performance at the museum, on the other hand, was something not to be missed. Great place, Williamsburg. To stand in buildings that our founding Fathers were in is pretty amazing. Thank John D. Rockefeller (and probably his wife, more) for saving it.

John

Rod Sheridan
11-25-2014, 10:33 PM
On a vacation trip. Just spent a couple days in Williamsburgh Colonial Village.

They had some really nice work there also, and I asked them what the difference was between a joiner and a cabinet maker. His answer...."We get ours done", sounds like a bit of friendly rivalry there.

Rick Potter

Sounds like a great visit, next year when I'm working in Virginia I would like to get down there.

I think in North America, the term Joiner has lost relevance.

I asked my FIL who has a masters certificate in cabinetmaking from England about the joiner. He said the joiner made things like high end windows, stair components and sometimes high end or complicated trim, that was later installed in buildings, many joiners worked only at the shop, others went to site with their products to install them.

The cabinetmakers made furniture, and the carpenters did construction such as framing and roofing, window installation etc.

He doesn't know whether that's changed in England as he moved here in the seventies.

Interestingly, the guy who lived next to my mother, was a Scot who was a joiner by trade in Scotland before emigrating.

Regards, Rod.

lowell holmes
11-26-2014, 10:27 AM
If you really want a blast, go back for their 3-day conference early next year. You probably need reservations now. You will rub shoulders with some of the leading woodworkers in the world if you can make one of the conferences.

Rick Potter
11-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Sorry to say, but I would be very out of place with a roomfull of 'leading woodworkers'.

I guess I could be called more of a journeyman DIY'er.

Rick P

Hmmm, I think I just found my tag line.

lowell holmes
11-26-2014, 3:07 PM
So was I out of place, but they are a friendly bunch.

Rod Sheridan
11-26-2014, 4:16 PM
Sorry to say, but I would be very out of place with a roomfull of 'leading woodworkers'.

I guess I could be called more of a journeyman DIY'er.

Rick P

Hmmm, I think I just found my tag line.

You're never out of place with woodworkers, they come in all flavours of capabilities and experiences.........Rod.

Sid Matheny
11-26-2014, 4:58 PM
That is one place that is hard to beat. It has been several years since I was there but have to say it is a place every woodworker should visit.

Sid