PDA

View Full Version : Balboa Checking framing

Mark Singer
07-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Rough framing or carpentry is what typically creates the structure of most homes. If not checked carefully it can make drywall, cabinets, finish carpentry, and many other trades a nightmare to follow.

1. My contract with the framer includes a clause which says he will straighten and check all framing surface and correct to 1/8" in 8'. He can shim, plane or kerf and strongback walls and ceilings to meet the criteria. This insures we are ready for finish. I also ask for the installation of backing as part of his contract.

2. Door openings should be checked with a level for plumb in both directions. Also strings running on diagnols on door trimmers should be used to check for all surface to lie in the same plane. The strings should just touch in the middle. If they don't the door stop will run at an angle vertically on at least one side. TIP:If you are making pre hungs....leave the stop off so the screws can be hidden behind the stop. The trimmer is the last stud which is loose and next to the king stud and should be secured with nails to insure the jamb is secure.

3. Cabinet walls should have adequate backing for uppers and lowers. This is typically flat 2x blocks in walls. Any heavy pieces may require 4x and anchored with metal framing anchors like A35's.

4. In closets it is a good idea to sheet the walls with 1/2" plywood after all plumbing, wiring and insulation are in. This gives continuous backing for attaching anything like closet systems, racks etc.

5.If the bottom kitchen window is to end up flush with the top of the counter top, it is a good idea to leave the sill low and let the rough top for the counter run into the window frame. If it is a bit low it is easy to raise when the rough top goes in.

6. All walls that terminate cabinet lines should come 1 1/2" past so there is a reveal.

7. If you are using full height doors, let the head jamb thickness project below the finished ceiling. In time any movement could cause the door to bind and scrape the ceiling.

There are loads of important framing things to check....the above is a short list relative to the install of cabinets and doors.

Corvin Alstot
07-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Mark/
This series you are starting with the various projects for the Balboa house
should be very interesting. Thanks in advance for your efforts in posting your woodworking and design.
You might want to look at assembling the various projects and the house design
into a future book. I think many people would find it informative.

On a side note, do you specify a higher grade of lumber for the framing than
the typical standard for ease in keeping the walls flat and square.

Mark Singer
07-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Corvin,

We are trying to use engineered lumber for floors roof framing....so Parralams, TJI's etc. This home has curved GLU Lam roof beams. The walls are stud grade #2 or better as are the timber joists from the deck. Most of this is specified by the Strucural Engineer as is the floor and roof sheating. There are many simpson stong walls. I am working on a book , but it is about design and I have been for years....I don't know if I will get it done? Building homes has been my life for over 30 years so its just another day as they say. I have been the builder (as opposed to just the architect )on probably 25 or so since I started. I stopped doing it for clients since myy E and O insurance carrier insisted about 10 years ago. I have a licensed GC helping me run this one and he is very experienced as well.

Mark/
This series you are starting with the various projects for the Balboa house
should be very interesting. Thanks in advance for your efforts in posting your woodworking and design.
You might want to look at assembling the various projects and the house design
into a future book. I think many people would find it informative.

On a side note, do you specify a higher grade of lumber for the framing than
the typical standard for ease in keeping the walls flat and square.