PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ two tool purchasing decisions: sander, jointer | band saw?

Joe Craven
11-25-2014, 1:04 PM
Everyone,

I finally have a garage large enough to equip some "real" woodworking equipment. Keep in mind when reviewing this outreach that I'm an occasional hobbyist who mostly spends time building furniture to go in my house, so that the wife can't change her preferences on a whim (i.e. nothing that I build will ever be donated to the local thrift store!).

I purchased a planer (Steel City 40200H) at a great price the other day at the local Woodcraft. Rockler has a 20% off (plus free shipping!) deal for Black Friday, so I'm looking to take advantage and complete the shop - for now! - with the following additional equipment:

Dust Collector (Jet DC-1100VX)
Jointer or band saw (can't decide which is more important)
Some sort of sanding device
Air filtration system

My questions are:

I hate sanding, and in particular the time that it takes to thoroughly sand a complete project's worth of stock. I figure that a drum sander - the Jet 10-20 is my current thinking - will help the most to alieviate this pain, but I'm wondering if I'd get more mileage out of some combo machine like the Jet JSG-96 that has a disc and a belt? I just don't know if a 6" belt will cover enough of my needs to keep me from upgrading.
I know that I eventually need both a jointer and a band saw but I'm thinking that the jointer is the more-imporant tool to get first. I know a bandsaw is great for cutting curves and all sorts of other stuff but I think I'd get the most value from it in resawing. These are each pretty expensive so I can only buy one for now. My choices are between the (jointer) Jet JJ-6HHDX and the (band saw) Laguna 14-12.
For air filtration (and given that my garage is one room at ~7,500 cubic feet) would the Jet 1000CFM unit be enough (again, for occasional use) or do I need to up it to the 1700CFM unit? They're significantly different in price.

I know these questions are completely subjective but I'd be very appreciative of any input you might have.

p.s. I'm particilularly proud of the mobile 120v tool cart that I just put together - planer, drill press, miter saw, and router table (plus storage) all mounted and ready to be wheeled out into the middle of the garage where I can use them! I used the Kreg Universal Bench components to build it (64" x 28") and removing a few bolts turns it into a nice outfeed table, too.

TIA,
Joe

Jim German
11-25-2014, 1:22 PM
Alot of it depends on what your long term goals are. If you're planning on setting up a full shop with all the typical tools in the enthusiast class, here's what I would go with..

Assuming you have a good ROS, I'd go with the jointer first. I'd also recommended getting an 8" like the G0656PX or G0490X rather than a that Jet. Most other tools have workarounds like wearing a good dustmask instead of getting a dust collector, using a jigsaw instead of a bandsaw, or using a hand sander instead of a freestanding unit. However none of the other work around for a jointer (using a router table or a tablesaw sled) work very well.

After that I'd probably get the dust collector or the bandsaw depending on how much wearing a mask irritates you and how sensitive you are to the dust (and if you can just open your garage door to air out the shop)

For a drum sander you really need need dust collection, and I think that drum sander is probably too small to work well. Instead of the belt/disc sander why not just get the Ridgid Oscillating Spindle Sander? Its very versatile, well reviewed, portable, and cheap.

Rod Sheridan
11-25-2014, 1:52 PM
Hello Joe, dust collection is priority #1, both for your health and for the proper operation of machinery.

The jointer is the pair to the planer, you need both as they do different functions.

A drum sander is the last item I would ever buy, after 30 years I don't have one and never will.

The bandsaw is extremely useful for breaking down rough lumber, resawing, book matching, making veneer etc. You can even use it for cutting curves if needed.

Regards, Rod.

Doug Ladendorf
11-25-2014, 2:18 PM
Yeah, dust collection should be a priority. Even with a mask you can't keep it on forever, and don't want everything covered with dust. For sanding, do you have a random orbital sander (ROS)? That can handle a lot of what you might need. I use mine regularly. You can buy a used 8" jointer and 14" band saw for the price of one of those new. Just keep used in mind as an option. Check your local listings.

Doug

Joe Craven
11-25-2014, 2:29 PM
Thanks to everyone so far. I agree on the dust collection issue in being the priority. What I'm trying to figure out, sanding-wise, is what's going to save me time and (mostly) annoyance over my current practice is using a combination of hand-held sanding tools (belt sander and ROS) to finish a project. I seem to spend hours in design (which I love) then less time in cutting everything to size and doing joinery, then finally more dreadful hours in moving through the sanding stages with the hand-held tools until I get to a point when the wood is ready for finish.

I don't necessarily need the thicknessing capabilities of a drum sander, but I'm hopeful that it will turn hours' worth of laborious work into much a much shorter and pleasurable experience in getting stock to 220-grit smoothness. I'm just imagining how the "pros" must handle sanding and I know it can't be nearly the same amount of work that I'm going through on every project...I hope that makes things more clear in re my needs!

Doug Ladendorf
11-25-2014, 2:46 PM
I don't necessarily need the thicknessing capabilities of a drum sander, but I'm hopeful that it will turn hours' worth of laborious work into much a much shorter and pleasurable experience in getting stock to 220-grit smoothness.

http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders/30-flatmaster-2321.html

Jim Andrew
11-25-2014, 8:05 PM
I have found that sanding to 220 usually keeps stain from penetrating. If you are finishing natural probably OK. I use 220 between coats of finish.

John TenEyck
11-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Jointer for sure, 8" or larger, seriously. A planer is handicapped w/o a jointer. Bandsaw next. Dust collection down the list, a shop vac works well enough on smaller machines while you collect more important tools. Air filtration way, way, last on the list, they are a poor stepchild to point of use collection. Get a HEPA vac and use it at the tool whenever possible. And a drum sander will change your life if you do much solid wood and aren't a purist who swears hand planes are the only way to get something ready for finishing. They aren't a must; I got by w/o one for 25 years, but I'm sure glad I've had one for the past 5 years. Flat, smooth, and precise thickness has a whole new meaning now. If you do any amount of shop sawn veneer or lamination work, you really do need one. At that point, however, you absolutely need a DC to go with it. In the meantime, a good ROS will at least take some of the drudgery out of sanding unless you are proficient with hand planes.

With stationary tools, buy used, buy old, and you can have them all, and many were better made than the new ones most people buy today.

John

Robert Chapman
11-26-2014, 11:41 AM
You will need good dust collection in your shop for many tools - particularly a drum sander - but also for a jointer. I hate sanding and therefore really appreciate my Jet 16-32 drum sander. When buying a dust collection system get one more powerful than you think you will really need - it's much better to be over powered than under powered in the dust collection department. I don't use my band saw that much - I build furniture - it's more of a nice to have tool. So my advice is -1. Good dust collection 2. Jointer - 8 inch if possible 3. Drum sander 4. Band saw - probably 14 inch.

John Sanford
11-28-2014, 2:30 AM
1: Good Dust collection
2: Jack Plane (#5 Jack) & Jointer Plane (#7) - These two will allow you to face and edge joint any piece of wood of any size, and then you can send 'em through your planer for thicknessing. Let the 'lectric demons do the drudge work. Oh, and they take up a lot less space than a 8", or even 6" jointer.
3: Bandsaw.

Rich Enders
11-28-2014, 2:45 PM
Joe,

Being a hobbyist you probably do not know what direction you will go and what equipment you will need in the future. I would suggest a minimalist approach.

-Build a jointer sled to go with your planer. Inexpensive, and it will give you both functions on an existing piece of equipment.

-A shopvac and/or a portable 4" DC.

And, maybe:

-A bandsaw.

-An oscillating spindle/belt sander.

And, remember John's signature above: The road IS the destination.

paul cottingham
11-28-2014, 4:41 PM
My biggest regret in my tool buying is that I didn't buy as good a bandsaw as my wife would let me spend money on. If I were to do it all over, I would go 1) dust collector, (at least 2Hp) This is ironic, as I am a mostly hand tool guy. 2) bandsaw. A big one so I could rip on it as well. Or 3) planer. I go back and forth about which I would buy first.
oh, and buy a good jack plane. Great for cleaning up after the bandsaw.

Jim Becker
11-29-2014, 9:45 AM
Hello Joe, dust collection is priority #1, both for your health and for the proper operation of machinery.

The jointer is the pair to the planer, you need both as they do different functions.

A drum sander is the last item I would ever buy, after 30 years I don't have one and never will.

The bandsaw is extremely useful for breaking down rough lumber, resawing, book matching, making veneer etc. You can even use it for cutting curves if needed.

Regards, Rod.

My thoughts exactly.

I did buy a drum sander years ago...and ended up selling it two years later. It wasn't worth the space and frankly, it doesn't eliminate any of the "real" sanding. It's the right tool for certain kinds of projects....such as folks who do a lot of end-grain cutting boards...but for general use, it didn't earn it's keep for me.

Patrick Curry
11-29-2014, 12:14 PM
I would also recommend a 8" jointer, and look at the Grizzly models. You need flat, straight, square wood to enjoy your hobby and it comples the planer (assuming you have a TS or track saw).

Next, I have to suggest the harbor freight 2hp dust collector. With the 25% off you can pick it up under $200. With a DIY separator and aftermarket filter, it will still save you money and likely do a better job.

As for sanding, do you have a good 4" belt sander? that might be the low priced solution for now along with an orbital.

i have the grizzly 490 with helix cutter heads and its been a great value. Couldn't image having a 6" jointer. I also have the HF dust collector with no regrets, but I also work in my garage with the door open. Lastly, I love my laguna band saw. It helps me get by with my 50 year old hybrid TS that's under powered and ready to be scrapped