PDA

View Full Version : Getting in shape?

Mike Audleman
11-24-2014, 5:17 PM
Ok, I have an odd question. It IS related to the forum.

I have a real object. I have traced its outline on cardboard. I now need to get this shape into the computer (Corel) for modification/extrusion and ultimately out to the laser to cut.

Small objects I simply trace on my Wacom. This is too big for it. Its not a simple shape. Multiple radii and some flats. Not easy to reproduce exactly. I am trying to make a cap that fits on the object to it needs to accurately follow the contour.

I could really use some help here. So, thoughts on how to get the shape into Corel?

David Somers
11-24-2014, 5:27 PM
Mike,

There was a thread on this the last few weeks, and the upshot was to either photograph it with a tape measure so you can scale it correctly and the trace the image in Corel. Or to use a flatbed scanner for the job. Same thing. Include something for scale. The consensus seemed to be to photograph it. I don't have the thread handy but it was recent. Lots of good discussion in there on the topic.

Dave

Bernie Fraser
11-24-2014, 5:52 PM
I have photographed objects next to a ruler before but I think next time I needed to do something like this I would photograph it laying on some grid paper so I could see any distortion. With the radius you could draw tge object as a rectangular object and then select a corner node and use the fillet/ scallop/chamfer function and adjust until it matches the radius you are after.

Gary Hair
11-24-2014, 6:31 PM
Mike - I have had some pretty complex shapes that I thought would have been next to impossible to create in Corel. I broke down the object into its component parts and then drew each one individually using circles, squares, ellipses, etc. Then when it's all done I use smart fill to fill in the parts that should actually be part of the object and then join them together (or use smart fill again if needed). If you could post a picture of your drawing then it might be easier to explain my process.

Gary