PDA

View Full Version : Japanese stool - Ver. 2

Alan Turner
07-17-2005, 6:19 AM
A couple of weeks ago I posted a stool that I designed and built with a view towards small production runs. I solicited comments on the design, and folks here were helpful, as usual.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22125

Here it that same stool, on which I later shaped the seat a bit. I put an eliptical curve on the corners, and a thumbnail shape on the top edge. It was about all I could do since it was already glued up. These modifications made it more comfortable, for sure, but I think that I managed to lose much of the Japanese influence or feeling that I was seeking.

A friend asked me for a donation for a charity fund raiser for Huntingdon's Disease research that he runs each year. It is a golf and dinner event, but I no longer play golf. Two rather full time jobs, and the new shop, don't permit sleep, much less 4 hour walks on nice days. But I am glad to contribute, and this contribution does not cut into my tool budget. It leaves later today, for tomorrow's event.

I will be interested in your comments, but this time I will share my thoughts first and catch the reactions.

1. The seat is too wide at 11". I will narrow ver. 3 to 9" by 13".
2. The legs are set too close to the corners, and I will move them in a bit, but I am not sure how much just yet. I will hold the leg shape, which I am fond of , and the stretcher arrangement, although not all thought the stretchers were attractive. Maker's perogative here.
3. I will scoop the seat, perhaps both ways. I can maybe run the long scoop on the TS like a piece of crown molding, and may try to BS the wider scoop, across the seat, finishing with a radius soled spokeshave or a scorp. I think it is too wide for a 10" TS. If I find a shape I like, I may jig a router arrangement for it. I wouldn't go to the trouble for one or two of these, but if I am to make a commercial pace on these to hold the price reasonable, then I need to automate a bit.

Well, as before, have at, guys.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-17-2005, 6:44 AM
What's wrong with the legs being farther apart? Just for looks, or do they get in the way of human legs somehow? Scoop in the seat would make a big difference.

KC

Jim Becker
07-17-2005, 9:02 AM
No issues with the legs for me, Alan, but I still think it would look more comfortable with a radius scooped seat that echoes the curves of the legs. You have all that elegant movement as your eyes wander from the floor upward and then, blam! It all stops on a plain, flat surface.

Also, have you thought about making the stretchers more delicate or even have the sides of the "H" slightly curved to again echo the leg design?

All just suggestions to think about. Your work is outstanding no matter what!

Chris Mann
07-17-2005, 9:05 AM
Yeah, that edge treatment really lost the japanese feel of the stool.
I think just scooping the top side to side (echoing the curve of the legs) and moving the legs in a bit would really help. kinda like these
http://tinyurl.com/dyoz4

Mark Singer
07-17-2005, 9:33 AM
I agree with Jim....The seat should be radiused in one direction and that will echo the leg form and compliment the overall design. It can be roughed on the tablesaw or bandsaw if you have enough capacity.
Rounding the corners weakens the shape as it become less definte and more amorphic.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Amorphic? :confused: You're writing for woodbutchers here...

Mark Singer
07-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Kirk,
If you talk like a designer ...soon you may be one! Butchers can become fine chefs...and create wonderful presentations ....I am geting hungry!;)
<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=250 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=120><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = 'lexico_120x600';google_ad_width = 120;google_ad_height = 600;google_ad_format = '120x600_as';google_safe = 'high';google_ad_region = 'def';google_color_bg = "ffffff";google_color_border = 'ffffff';google_alternate_ad_url = 'http://cache.lexico.com/ads/google_def.html';google_hints = (unescape(document.location.search).search(/.*q=([^&?]*).*$/) == -1 ? "" : unescape(document.location.search).replace(/.*q=([^&?]*).*$/, "$1") + ",") + "online degree,language training,student loan consolidation,job training";// --></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imp.gif?client=ca-lexico_120x600&ampampevent=noscript (http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imp.gif?client=ca-lexico_120x600&event=noscript)</NOSCRIPT></TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=120>
ADVERTISEMENT

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--DisplayAds("Top,Right,Right1,BottomRight,Bottom,Position1!Righ t1", "600", "120");//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://oascentral.reference.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.ads/dictionary.reference.com/search/1610129301@Top,Right,Right1,BottomRight,Bottom,Pos ition1!Right1"><!-- --></SCRIPT><!-- -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=middle colSpan=2><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--function google_ad_request_done(ads) {} function google_radlink_request_done(radlinks) { var s = ''; if (radlinks.length == 0) { return; } s += "<table border=\"0\" width=\"100%\" bgcolor=\"#ECF8FF\" cellpadding=\"3\" style=\"border: 1px dashed #ddaaaa;\" align=\"center\"><tr align=\"left\"><td nowrap><span class=\"small\"><b>Related ads:<\/b>
<ul>"; for(i = 0; i < radlinks.length; ++i) { s += "<li><a href=""\"ads.html?q=amorphic&adq=" + radlinks.term + "&orig_channel=definition&google_page_url=" + escape(window.location) + "\">" + radlinks[i].term + "<\/a><\/li>"; } s += "<\/ul><\/td><\/tr><\/table>\n"; document.write(s); return;}google_ad_client = 'ca-lexico-radlinks_js';google_ad_channel = 'definition';google_ad_output = 'js';google_safe = 'high';google_max_num_ads = '0';google_num_radlinks = 5;google_max_radlink_len = 27;google_kw_type = 'broad';google_kw = 'amorphic';google_ad_region='def';// --></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-lexico-radlinks_js&dt=1121609866906&adsafe=high&lmt=1121609860&prev_fmts=120x600_as&num_ads=0&output=js&channel=definition&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch %3Fq%3Damorphic&kw_type=broad&kw=amorphic&num_radlinks=5&max_radlink_len=27&region=def&cc=100&u_h=900&u_w=1440&u_ah=900&u_aw=1440&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_his=16&u_java=true"></SCRIPT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>1 entry found for [i]amorphic.

<!-- begin wmde --><!-- google_ad_region_start=def --><!-- 207 --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=right>Main Entry: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left>amorphic</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right>Part of Speech: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left>adjective</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Definition: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left>having no particular shape, lacking definite form; also called amorphous</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>Example: </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Art students learn about amorphic and organic shapes and negative space.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=right>Etymology: </TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left>from a- `no' and morp `form'</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Amorphic? :confused: You're writing for woodbutchers here...

Bob Reeve
07-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the word lesson. I too believe that if I sound like I know what I am talking about, most people will believe I do and soon I will learn.

Dan Forman
07-17-2005, 2:39 PM
I agree with Jim about the seat, love the legs.

Dan

Norman Hitt
07-17-2005, 7:57 PM
Alan, I agree with Jim on the scooped seat, and I was also wondering if an inward curve on the stretchers wouldn't compliment the curve in the legs, (and I like the legs very much).

Vaughn McMillan
07-17-2005, 9:17 PM
Echoing Chris Mann's comments, I also agree with the scooped seat idea, and moving the legs in a smidge. (And the picture he linked to indicates you won't have any problem selling these for the target price you mentioned in your original post.) I also agree that the rounded edges on the seat have lost the oriental feel.

That said, it's still beautiful work...better than I've ever done myself.

- Vaugnn

Dan Forman
07-18-2005, 2:56 AM
Not sure if I am understanding the comments about rounded edges on the seat, but I would think it would be rather uncomfortable without them, at least on the potion one's legs would rest upon.

Dan

Jason Tuinstra
07-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Alan, I agree with #1 and #2 of your own suggestions. But I think the seat shape that you have here looses something. I liked the origianal lines better. For me, if there was a quick and easy way to get the look of the seat that Chris linked to, that would be perfect for my taste. But I know you want to mass produce these, and I don't know how much more work that will add.

Keep up the good work! Frankly, I'd take either one! I'm just being picky :)

Russ Filtz
07-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Here's what I thought the top should look like (plan view). You might even look at steam bending it so the corners slope up as well. I think that would keep the Oriental feel (note the proper use of Oriental!), and it echos the lines of the legs.

Alan Turner
07-20-2005, 4:18 PM
Well, the bad news is that I no longer own a prototype; the good news is that for Huntingdon's Disease, someone bought this stool for $600 at an open auction to raise funds for research. Who'd-a-thunk.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-20-2005, 4:41 PM
Alan,

That is fantastic! What a noble and generous thing to do. You make all of us proud to be wood workers. Alan in Md.

lou sansone
07-20-2005, 5:00 PM
hi alan
I can't add much to what has already been said. keep up the good work

lou

Jason Tuinstra
07-20-2005, 5:12 PM
Alan, good for you! That's outstanding news. Keep up the good work.

Alan Turner
07-20-2005, 7:53 PM
As to the price, I am thinking that the wine flowed rather freely.

Jim Becker
07-20-2005, 9:08 PM
As to the price, I am thinking that the wine flowed rather freely.

I'm sorry I missed that! I could use a glass of a nice red about now... ;)

Seriously, I think you have something that you can continue to make and play with, coming up with one or more variations quite easily. And selling the prototypes means refreshing the wood and tool larder... :D

Mark Singer
07-20-2005, 9:21 PM
Well deserved! Great work!

Dan Forman
07-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Great news, and well deserved. We will be waiting for the next model.

Dan

John Stevens
07-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi, Alan. First, the usual disclaimer about me presuming to give you advice on anything. That said, here's my $0.02--what Jim Becker said, and also, consider leaving the edges of the seat square. I think that's part of what gave it a quasi-Japanese look. Congrats on the sale price, especially considering that the money went to a good cause.