PDA

View Full Version : Black ash burl PPMs

Tim Rinehart
11-24-2014, 3:38 PM
This was made a couple weeks ago for our home use. Had a heck of a time with this particular chunk of BAB, bark inclusion and punky areas required stabilizing up till final cuts. Finished with Waterlox, then triple buffed/waxed. About 9" tall.

This next one was for an exchange, also Black Ash Burl, but with addition of a walnut Celtic knot. First time doing the Celtic knot, kinda had me nervous at first cuts since the wood was sent to me by the recipient, and didn't want to mess it up. Key was definitely in getting the thickness of the walnut exactly the same as kerf of my saw blade. Also about 9" tall and finished with Waterlox.

C&C welcome and appreciated.

Mark Detrick
11-24-2014, 8:45 PM
Very Nice! Love the first one!

Steve Trauthwein
11-25-2014, 5:33 AM
Where did you acquire the bab?

Regards, Steve

Mike Golka
11-25-2014, 9:21 AM
Very nice looking mills, well done.

Robert Willing
11-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Very nice BAB Mills. I like to do the Celtic knot as well. I also finish with Waterlox and just after I bore the hole I pour in lacquer to finish the inside. I found that lacquer on the out side does not hold up well in the kitchen. I am finishing a S & P Mill from birds eye maple with walnut for the Celtic knot. After I finish I will post pic's.

Jamie Buxton
11-25-2014, 10:27 AM
C&C welcome and appreciated.
Would it kill you to write out abbreviations? I have no idea what BAB or PPM means.

Tim Rinehart
11-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Very Nice! Love the first one! Thank you Mark, fortunately, so does my wife. ;)

Where did you acquire the bab?

Regards, Steve Don't recall, I've had it a while.

Very nice looking mills, well done. Thanks Mike.

Very nice BAB Mills. I like to do the Celtic knot as well. I also finish with Waterlox and just after I bore the hole I pour in lacquer to finish the inside. I found that lacquer on the out side does not hold up well in the kitchen. I am finishing a S & P Mill from birds eye maple with walnut for the Celtic knot. After I finish I will post pic's. Thanks Robert. Look forward to seeing your mills when finished.

Would it kill you to write out abbreviations? I have no idea what BAB or PPM means. Jamie, it just might! :p
Since the post concerns peppermills, most woodturners would figure out PPM is an acronym for peppermill. Since I also spelled out 'black ash burl' elsewhere in the post, again, others also seem to have figured that one out. I guess it's a good thing I didn't opt to use Woodturners Finish for it's acronym. :eek: