PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in business - Setting up the new rig

Will OBrien
11-24-2014, 3:03 PM
Hello all,
I'd previously owned a 45 Epilog Mini 24, but my business partner wanted out so we wrapped that venture.

I'm happy to say that my new laser arrived this weekend. This time my business partner is my wife, so it's a bit more likely to last. :)
The new one is a beast. It's a Universal Laser VLS6.60. I purchased used this round, and did rather well.
60 Watt laser, 1.5 and 2.0 lens assemblies, and I bought the bofa air filter that they had with it.
The system also came with the cutting table, but I am waiting for the legs to get shipped. (The PO accidentally left them off to the side.)

I do have a couple of concerns with the big guy. First of all the air filter is rated for about 250cfm. The vls6 calls for about double that. I'm hoping that it'll do for most jobs, and I may add an exhaust fan for wood work and vent that directly outside.
I started checking exhaust specs as soon as I saw that the laser has two 4 inch ports while the air filter only has 1.
Thoughts?

The PO (previous owner in mechanic land) appears to have never used the air nozzle (it looks brand new) or the air assist inlet. There was quite a bit of particulate junk on the bottom of the lens holder assembly. The lens in the unit (the 2.0) is extremely dirty and need a good cleaning. Luckily, the 1.5 lens looks like it was never used and is very clean, so I'm ok until I get the 2.0 thoroughly cleaned. Of course, I left my bottle of epilog lens cleaner in my recent move. Any thoughts on a good cleaner to soak the assembly in? I think it needs a bit more than a gentle lens wipe.

I'm fairly certain that my unit doesn't have the integrated compressor. It's got an air connection port on the bottom and a small knob to regulate air pressure along with a small pressure gauge. Looks like I need a compressor for it.

I'm guessing that the two rj-24 ports on the side are for controlling the air compressor and exhaust? Anyone know the pinouts/voltages? I'd be interested in integrating control. It always annoyed me to dork with those on my epilog.

I still have to go through the learning curve with the control software. (and get a space heater for the workshop.) Any advice for someone starting out with a Universal laser would be great.

My current shopping list:
Lens cleaner
4" exhaust hose. Probably http://www.mcmaster.com/#dust-collector-hose/=uqjyu7
4" wye - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004166RMO
usual hose clamps
Oil-less compressor - Of course, I gave my geist air compressor to a friend when I moved. Doh.

Still trying to decide if I want to use an old desktop to control the laser or re-arrange some stuff to put a decent machine on it.