PDA

View Full Version : Information about Finch convex coffin smoother

Shawn Pixley
11-23-2014, 7:42 PM
I was given a convex bottomed coffin smoother today. The body and wedge are QS beech. The body is labeled "Finch." The tapered iron is labeled "Aaron Hilldick Warranted Cast Steel." It came with a matching cap iron. A quick research indicates the blade may be 19th century English (Birmingham). I have yet to find any information on Finch. The seller thought the plane was english. Does anyone know any more about Finch or can point me in a better direction? The plane looks like it should work pretty well after I do some TLC and sharpening.

Steve Voigt
11-24-2014, 12:13 AM
I don't know anything about Finch, but Hildick is a good old name. From The Tool Chest of Benjamin Seaton:

"The Hildicks were prominent edge tool manufacturers in the Birmingham area from at least the 17th century…they moved their operation to Sheffield about 1850 and continued to trade there until around 1960."

Your iron looks mid- to late-19th c. to me. The plane looks quite nice too.

Stewie Simpson
11-24-2014, 5:10 AM
Hi Shawn. If you forward your questions to the following forum site they should be able to provide you with the answers your after.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/hand-tools.html?sid=871b4ab4ebc1c77ffec07620b4522d33