PDA

View Full Version : To wax or not to wax?

Bill Orbine
11-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Custom made mahogany vanity, stained and pre-cat lacquer finish installed next to a OPEN shower had water damage on the one side next to the shower. It was installed around 2006. I repaired the side and used several coats of Minwax wipe-on satin poly. Repair looks good!

It was thought a shower door would be installed at the time of bathroom remodel, but designer change his/her mind and go without. The steam and the splashes hit the cabinet side.... nothing directly. Homeowner say he periodically wax the cabinet side as per recommendation of the original fabricator and wants to continue to do so. I'm not so sure if this is a good idea because wax cause water to bead up and still remains on the surface. The water damage I repaired looked very much like a whole bunch of spots like a bunch of water beads. I think keeping the surface clean with wood cleaner rather than wax is better! I even think wiping the side dry after each shower would be even better, but it's kind of hard to keep the family up to the daily task. Either way, I know every once in a while (like a year), a new maintainer coat or two be wiped on.

So the question is.... is wax a good idea? Or, clean it without wax? Better solutions?

Scott Holmes
11-23-2014, 2:28 PM
If you did at least 12 coats of wipe-on poly you should be OK. If you only did 3-4 coats you don't have enough of a build to last.

Steve Schoene
11-24-2014, 7:39 PM
Scott is right on. It takes 3 or 4 coats of wipe on varnish to be equivalent to one coat of brush on varnish, and to have sufficient water resistance you would want at least 3 or 4 brushed on coats, hence 12 wiped on coats.

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2014, 6:18 AM
Any way you can mask things off and use a rattle can for a couple/three coats?
That would be quicker than wiping on several more coats.
I just used a mix of wipe on & rattle can spray on a cart I made for my wife.
I ran out of time using the wipe on & had to spray a couple coats on the doors.

Bill Orbine
11-25-2014, 8:09 PM
I have 7-8 coats of wipe-on. Looks like I should add more and this time I'll do at least two more coats brushed! However, there the argument about to wax or not to wax! I think wax causes water to bead up leaving larger globs of water on spots on the cabinet side that eventually penetrates the finish. Original cabinet fabricator thinks it should be waxed for better protection. Homeowner is standing in the middle:D waiting for an answer! I appreciate the input and thanks!

Steve Schoene
11-25-2014, 9:44 PM
Wax, once you have an adequate finish, is pretty much an aesthetic choice. It won't help resist water damage, but I doubt it will really do much harm.

Rich Engelhardt
11-26-2014, 6:01 PM
Tell the homeowner to wax it & let you know the moment he sees a problem...

It probably won't do any good to wax it from a protection standpoint, but, if he waxes it on a regular basis, at least that gives him a reason to look at it a little closer than normal right?

Bill Orbine
11-27-2014, 8:07 AM
Tell the homeowner to wax it & let you know the moment he sees a problem...

It probably won't do any good to wax it from a protection standpoint, but, if he waxes it on a regular basis, at least that gives him a reason to look at it a little closer than normal right?

I will probably just do that! Let just hope the homeowner does let me know as soon as he sees the problem and not wait till 20% of the finish is gone like it did before! Thanks

Lee Schierer
11-27-2014, 8:34 AM
The only sure cure is to put glass between the cabinet and the source of water. Even with wax and multiple layers of poly, soap scum and mineral deposits from the water will accumulate on the cabinet and make it look bad.

Howard Acheson
11-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Paste wax has very poor resistance to water vapor. It works well with liquid water-causes it to bead--but that's part of the problem. The bottom of the water bead will evaporate creating water vapor mimicking the bead. This water vapor goes through the wax and creates marks or damage under each bead.

So, don't look to wax to provide any protection from water vapor.

Bill White
11-28-2014, 3:58 PM
You're beating a dead mule.
Without a barrier (shower door) the battle will continue regardless of what you do.
Wipe, wax, finish, wipe, wax, finish......
The battle will continue unless sanity prevails.
Sorry to sound like a nay sayer, but reality will win.
Bill

Jay Selway
11-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Try NeverWet!

Although, I'm pretty sure that'll look like garbage. Water problem will be solved.