PDA

View Full Version : Fathers Day Gift.... The cat is now out of the bag!!

Ed Lang
07-16-2005, 11:26 PM
I had to wait a long time to get it so I will drag this out a little so we all can have fun.

Today I drove to Woodcraft and loaded a box in the trailer.

Below you will see it in the shop.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/28593784-S.jpg

Gotta go to bed now, I'll post again tomorrow with the next picture.

John Miliunas
07-16-2005, 11:30 PM
I had to wait a long time to get it so I will drag this out a little so we all can have fun.

Today I drove to Woodcraft and loaded a box in the trailer.

Below you will see it in the shop.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/28593784-S.jpg

Gotta go to bed now, I'll post again tomorrow with the next picture.

Hey Ed, you taking lessons from Dale Thompson now, or what???:eek: :D :cool:

Ed Lang
07-17-2005, 7:32 AM
Dale, John found me out!:)

OK, I said I would post again,

When I looked again, I saw this...

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/28593789-S.jpg
Did I say it was hot around here yesterday? Humidity was up and the temp too. Quite a Job just walking around the yard.

Gotta run for now, I think the dog is going to eat the cat if I don't feed him.

Back again soon.

Michael Gibbons
07-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Don't keep us in suspense. Show us man,show us!!!!!!!:rolleyes: Mike

Ed Lang
07-17-2005, 2:02 PM
OK.. Full view

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/28593791-S.jpg

Full details in pictures are at;

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/gallery/663671/1/28593791

Gary Max
07-17-2005, 2:09 PM
Dang---did you rob a Bank---I looked at all the goodies you bought with the lathe.
Congrats-----I am sure you will enjoy the 2436.

Tony Sizemore
07-17-2005, 2:15 PM
Now that ladies and genital men is how we should be treated on father’s day! That is Beeeeeeuttttttttifull! Now start turning!!!!!!

Carole Valentine
07-17-2005, 2:23 PM
You must be one fantastic Dad!!!!
Is there any accessory you DIDN'T get?:D Congrats! How did you get it from the trailer into the shop? Always like to hear how folks handle getting monster machinery set up!

John Miliunas
07-17-2005, 2:50 PM
Holy smokes!!!:eek: Let's see...If I were to take past and present FD gifts I normally get and convert them to one like yours, I'd be covered pretty much for the rest of the Fathers Days for the rest of my life! That'd be pretty cool, 'cuz that would mean I'd be living to a ripe old age of about 115!!!:D Man, what a score! We'll be expecting very GREAT things coming off of that machine!!!:) :cool:

Keith Burns
07-17-2005, 3:20 PM
Man o Man what a Dad you must be!

Ed Lang
07-17-2005, 6:43 PM
It is not that I am such a super dad...... It is that I have a super wife and kids!

John Miliunas
07-17-2005, 6:48 PM
You must be one fantastic Dad!!!!
How did you get it from the trailer into the shop? Always like to hear how folks handle getting monster machinery set up!

That's easy, Carole; He used the Bobcat with forks that his wife and kids got him LAST year!:D :) :cool:

Jim Becker
07-17-2005, 7:36 PM
AH...nothing like a bit 'o big iron to spice up Dad's life!! Nice haul and I see you also went for the big outboard setup, too. Nice!

Michael Gibbons
07-17-2005, 8:11 PM
I think we should sing the Canadian National athem. Oh Canada..... Mike

Ed Lang
07-17-2005, 8:42 PM
You folks are too much fun:p

To answer Carole, I have a dual axel trailer I took to Woodcraft to get it. They loaded it by using a lift and I used the winch on the trailer to pull the crate onto the trailer. When I got home (by myself) I was afraid of rain so I started inching the crate to the end of the trailer with a crow bar. Then I kept on inching it down the tailgate onto the shop floor, inch by inch. When on the shop floor, I put a couple of 1" dowels, turned on the Jet Mini under it and rolled it with ease to where I could start taking pictures and unloading the extra stuff packed under the prize. OH Canada..... I just felt that come over me. Back to the story. Then after getting all of the stuff away, I unbolted the legs and used the crow bar to lift the tailstock end and put some 1X's under it and then the headstock end the same. Again, inch by inch I moved it from the crate to the floor. Large bed extension was heavy and I waited for help to shim it level as well as the level of the lathe.

So far I have turned three Freedom Pens and two bowls. I have had to sweep twice as this thing makes a lot more mess than the Jet Mini :D

Next thing to come in should be a big yellow thing to help with the mess.. OOPS I think I said too much!

Jean Holland
07-17-2005, 9:50 PM
I'll bet your Woodcraft store loves you. They probably roll out the carpet when they see you coming.....nice score. If I could win the lottery, I'd get some of that stuff too!:D

Ed Lang
07-17-2005, 9:53 PM
I have not seen the red carpet at Woodcraft yet but they do know me by name when I walk in.

I am afraid the folks in Muncey, PA are almost to that point as well.

Karl Laustrup
07-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Very nice Ed. That is one sweeeeet looking piece of iron. Enjoy it and we want pics of the results of the turnings.

Did you opt for the personalized JB model of big orange?

Karl

Harry Pye
07-18-2005, 8:12 AM
WOW! What a gift. I wish I had some Oneway stock. Is there anything for that lathe you don't have? I think you cleaned them out. Now we are hoping to see some pictures of the output of that beauty. You must be like a kid on Christmas morning. Honestly I'm totally blown away.

Ed Lang
07-18-2005, 8:35 AM
I will get some pictures up on Smugmug of items turned on the monster. You can look around the entire site by following the link to the 2436 gallery in a post above.

I did not get every option, no spindle steady, dust hood or wheel kit.

I must say that now when I put a 3/8" bowl gouge to the wood, even at real slow speed, the motor does not slow down! This thing will throw big chips at you.... I might need a real face shield now, but it does make a mess ALL OVER the shop! No corner is safe from flying wood now.

I think I should put in for some vacation time! Gotta turn.

Ed Lang
07-18-2005, 8:37 AM
Karl,

I want the JB signature series of the big orange. I think a personal visit for installation and a party for the signing are in order. :D

Karl Laustrup
07-18-2005, 9:40 AM
Karl,

I want the JB signature series of the big orange. I think a personal visit for installation and a party for the signing are in order. :D

I think that's fair. What say you Mr. B? Perhaps a signed edition? ;):D

Karl

Michael Gibbons
07-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Ed, I was wondering what spindle height on the lathe did you order?. I heard that it should be where your elbows are at when bent at 90 degrees.

Mike

Ed Lang
07-18-2005, 1:44 PM
Mike,

Yes, bent elbow height is a good starting point. I like it a tad taller so I went with the 46" height on mine. It is just right for me.

Chris Barton
07-18-2005, 4:43 PM
Great lathe Ed! I know you are going to enjoy that for a long time. Like you, my local woodcraft knows me by name when I walk through the door. They call me their "alpha customer." But, of late they are a little disappointed with me. I have started buying all my big purchases online for one reason only; no sales tax. I live in Brentwood, TN and local sales tax is running around 10%. So, on a purchase like yours I can save over $600 and usually get free delivery thrown in to boot. I bought a PM3520a with a ton of accessories and while it doesn't come close to the cost of the 2436, I still saved over $400 on sales tax alone. I keep wonerding when there will be enough loss in local sales revenue to make either the store owners or local/state governments begin to think about this.

Chris

Carole Valentine
07-18-2005, 5:30 PM
They've been thinking about it for a while. Just a matter of time before you pay sales tax on the internet just like you would in a store. Of course, I read somewhere that you are supposed to add up all the stuff you got on the net, compute the sales tax and send it to your State government at the end of the year. Right! Excuse me while I go jump right on that little task!:rolleyes:
I keep wonerding when there will be enough loss in local sales revenue to make either the store owners or local/state governments begin to think about this.

Chris

Harry Pye
07-18-2005, 5:48 PM
I read somewhere that you are supposed to add up all the stuff you got on the net, compute the sales tax and send it to your State government at the end of the year. Right! Excuse me while I go jump right on that little task!:rolleyes:

Right! And I believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Our state government officials should lay off those controlled substances. LOL