PDA

View Full Version : Just an Observation

ken hatch
11-23-2014, 7:58 AM
I posted this on my blog but no one reads my blog so I thought I'd crosspost :-).

This is just an observation and I've wondered if others have noticed the same.

I have Japanese chisels in both #1 and #2 White Steel either takes an incredible edge straight off the stone and the edge will hold up very well. I also have some newer western chisels with Chrome Steel, straight off the stones the edge is good but it will also fracture and dull very quickly. If I strop on some leather charged with compound the edge feels the about the same as before stropping but is much slower to fracture and dull.

I expect there is some slight "dubbing" from the stropping that makes the edge less prone to fracture. With the Japanese chisels I suspect they may have a finer grained steel and are not as prone to fracture.

Whatever, just an observation.

george wilson
11-23-2014, 8:43 AM
A smoother edge gives less places for a fracture to start. Edges are microscopic mountain chains. Smooth them down,and you have less opportunities for a fracture to find a valley to start cracking in.

Maurice Ungaro
11-23-2014, 8:53 AM
Indeed, the structure of the steel makes a huge difference. Stropping the chrome vandy reduces the micro ridges, as George noted.

ken hatch
11-23-2014, 5:58 PM
Thanks guys,

That was kinda the point, different iron, different sharpening needs. I was also a little surprised, and maybe I shouldn't be, at how much courser the Chrome/Carbon steel is than the Japanese White steel. Bottom line they both have a place in my shop and both work well just differently.

ken

Maurice Ungaro
11-23-2014, 6:08 PM
Thanks guys,

That was kinda the point, different iron, different sharpening needs. I was also a little surprised, and maybe I shouldn't be, at how much courser the Chrome/Carbon steel is than the Japanese White steel. Bottom line they both have a place in my shop and both work well just differently.

ken
Yup, Ken....I've got my nice set, and a my first set of Marples Blue Chips. Like having both.

Ralph Boumenot
11-24-2014, 5:52 AM
You're wrong Ken, I read both posts. My question that I didn't ask is why even bother with the stanleys?

ken hatch
11-24-2014, 4:59 PM
You're wrong Ken, I read both posts. My question that I didn't ask is why even bother with the stanleys?

Ralph,

As always, you make me laugh.

What can I say about the Stanley's other than if you ignore the iron they are pretty good chisels :-). They are relativity small, light, with good balance, and for the most part indestructible (other than the iron). I use them for chopping with frequent trips to the sharpening bench because I can whack away at the hornbeam handles with no consequences. I can't say that about either the Ashley Iles or the LV ones.

ken