PDA

View Full Version : Lung cancer

Moses Yoder
11-23-2014, 6:13 AM
My mother has lung cancer, stage 3A or 3B. They are doing a PET scan next week to find out which. Doc says 3B is basically not curable, although I got the impression this was based on her age. 3A is what he is hoping for and she is scheduled to start chemo on Dec. 1. They will do chemo and then radiation, not both together. The doctor is very good and I put on a happy face but the way I see it this is the beginning of a stretched out end. The cure will be the death of her my wife says.

Of course people offer all sorts of "natural cures." One guy called up and told her to drink a cup of lemon juice every day. He said cancer can't live in an acidic environment and that would kill it. She asked him if vinegar was not also acidic? She has been drinking a glass of vinegar twice a day to lose weight.

My dad smoked for 20 years, I am assuming the cancer is from secondary smoke inhalation.

Any links you have on what I can learn about it, or what I can do to help, would be great. I will see her again this afternoon.

Mike Lassiter
11-23-2014, 8:26 AM
sorry to hear this. While cancer has and still is killing people and seems like everyday we hear of another and another that has been diaganoised with it there are suvivor stories heard daily too. I've lost family to it going back over 45 years now. Much has been learnt since then and a lot of medical discoveries have been made. Just recently a co-worker of my wife was diaganoised with prostrate cancer and has since been treated and now cancer free. It's scary because many have died from it HOWEVER many have not - it is not an automatic death sentence!
Wishing you good news and a good outcome.

Jason Roehl
11-23-2014, 8:50 AM
Your mom has a tough row to hoe ahead of her. Prayers on behalf of her, you and your family for strength through this tough season of life.

Raymond Fries
11-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Moses,

So sorry to hear the news. There are some alternative approaches to traditional cancer treatment.

Gersen therapy. Max did cure cancer with diet. I have a friend that was cured of Lupus with his therapy. His books are available on Amazon.com. His daughter has a clinic in Mexaco but it is very expensive to go there.

Pranic Healing has cured some. This is cleansing and energizing a persons energy body.

I hope your mother can be cured.

Brian Deakin
11-23-2014, 11:15 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you at this difficult time

I am a pharmacist by proffesion

My advice is to seek and listen to proffesional medical opinion

Before you speak to the doctor sit down ,dicuss with your family what questions you have, write these questiions down and speak to the doctor If there is anything you do not understand or have supplementary questions ask them , seek clarificationan and an explanation from the doctor

In the United Kingdom we have the 1939 Cancer act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo6/2-3/13/section/4/enacted

This reinforces the view of the importance of profesional help

Further in the United kingdom we have the and organisation called Macmillan

Please see link

BEFORE FORMING ANY OPINION BASED ON THE INFORMATION BELOW YOU MUST ALWAYS SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancerinformation.aspx

I would explor do you have a similar organisation in the USA

regards Brian

Jim Matthews
11-23-2014, 4:04 PM
Talk to your Mother's physician about any adjuvant therapies.
While most will do no harm, some will interact badly with Chemotherapy regimes.

I wouldn't go too far afield before you get a scan to look over.

I would counsel anyone that's in this position to stay off the internet
until after you talk to a Medical Professional.

The state of the art in Lung cancer treatment has advanced, rapidly.

The important distinctions will be between palliative and curative approaches.
Some cancers can't be entirely eradicated, but they can be "tamped down"
to the point that they're manageable, rather than immediately life threatening.

Lung cancers are not the sort of thing that any reasonable person would notice,
so it's not as if anybody "missed" something obvious. There's no outward sign
until the patient starts feeling winded, or has an obstruction.

The real challenge we face as family members is the unknown.
Most of us are confronted by this for the first time when it is our parents,
and have no basis for experience. What we can do is drive, support
and attend to them as best we are able.

Lean on the support staff for help. They enjoy being useful.

Best of luck on a quick and comfortable recovery for your Mother.

Jim in Westport, MA

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2014, 8:13 PM
Moses,

My sincere best wishes and prayers for your Mom, your family and you as you tackle this difficult situation.

There is hope for cancer patients today in a lot of cases. My wife was diagnosed as a result of a biopsy with a deadly form of cancer. After a 7 hour surgery performed by 5 surgeons, 22 years later she is upstairs fixing supper for us.

Jim's recommendations are spot on. Wait for the definitive diagnosis and talk with medical professionals before deciding or trying any form of treatment.

Tom Stenzel
11-24-2014, 3:15 PM
Hi Moses,

Cancer isn't an automatic death sentence. I'm proof of it.

In December 2012, I was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer. Not only that, it's unheard of in people my age. Lucky me.

I spent most of 2013 and the first months 2014 in the hospital for chemo and hemipelvectomy surgery (which exposes a lie I told on SMC*).

Declared cancer free, I managed to compete last May at wheelchair archery and rifle. My shooting stunk but I was still there. This summer was spent trying to adapt my garage to wheelchair use.

Plus, much to the chagrin of all good woodworkers all around the world, I'm still alive and infesting the pages of SMC with my drivel.

It's also important that YOU don't give up on Mom. She needs a REASON to live. Without my wife and daughters I know that for me it would have been a clear case of "why bother?".

I wish the best for your Mom. She'll be in my prayers.

-Tom

*In one posting someone asked about being able to do something with your hand while doing something else with your right foot. In my reply I said that since I didn't have a right foot I was stumped.

The lie- with a hemipelvectomy there is no stump.

Don Morris
11-24-2014, 6:43 PM
Get the best professional advise and a second opinion. The long term double blind studies just don't support the alternative medicine approaches. Go with the best research. That's usually the research centers, and large hospital centers. People still die from cancer at those facilities, but they have the best win/lose records, support staff, and that's the best you can ask for. In the meantime, give your mom all your love and care possible. I wish mine were still here. Best wishes.

Leigh Betsch
11-24-2014, 11:28 PM
My prayers are with you. Be a positive as you can, these things are a lot of stress on everyone.

Raymond Fries
11-25-2014, 3:49 PM
I would like to add that there are board certified medical professionals that use pranic healing and refer problem patients to pranic healers. If you are interested in some medical professionals' opinions take a few moments to watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-BgQJ-OmBs

Pranic healing is not a replacement for traditional medicine but it is a compliment and in other cases it can do things that traditional medicine cannot. Every healing modality has its limits. I believe that all of them should be bundled and provide a best treatment package for those in need. It seems as though traditional medicine, although good, seems to focus on knives and pills and sometimes there are other ways to heal people.

I learned to do pranic healing about seven years ago to help my wife. She believes that without it she would not here here now. Traditional medicine is still a part of her life but this modality has been a great compliment.

My friend that was cured of Lupus is a part od a second group of twelve patients organized by doctors around the country to prove that Gersen therapy works. Shannon told me that all 24 people were cured with this therapy. The only other disease I can remember was diabetes.

Max Gersen cured Albert Schweitzer from Type II diabetes. Can traditional medicine cure diabetes? Once again, here is another healing modality that works.

There are other alternative treatments that are available as well.

My hope for anyone needing treatment is that he or she gets the best, most effetive, and safest care available.

Dave Sheldrake
11-27-2014, 7:26 AM
Sorry to hear of your Moms situation Moses.

With alternative remedies please be aware of causation errors, because C follows B it does NOT mean it was CAUSED by B.

Academic qualifications do not make people right, I know a couple of MD's who support various rather "way out" therapies and have written papers (peer reviewed) to support their claims. On closer inspection they simply don't hold water, the peer reviews have been done by like minded people and not by the general medical establishment so that can often lead to observational errors.

Deepak Chopra is a good example, an eminently qualified MD with a license to practice but as yet none of his peer reviewed practices or claims hold any kind of substance that will withstand unbiased experiment.

best wishes

Dave

Mac McQuinn
11-27-2014, 8:54 PM
Moses,
My Prayers are with you.
Mac