PDA

View Full Version : Jagged/Rough Edge only on X-Axis (Belt Issue?) SOLVED

Jordan Billingsley
11-22-2014, 6:34 PM
Machine Info:
Chinese Laser
150 W
900mmx1300mm

I had to replace my xbelt about 4 months back and also gave my workhorse of a laser cutter a good deep cleaning (beyond regular maintenance/cleaning). I have been mostly cutting paper and wood materials since then and only recently noticed that when I cut acrylic there are noticeably rough edges whenever the it cuts a line that is not vertical. Vertical lines come out smooth flame polished but anything that requires movement in the x direction (horizontal lines, curves, diagonals, etc) produces a cut that is jagged or rough. The edges are more severe than that of the ridges on a quarter.

Am I right to assume that the most likely culprit is the belt?

Problem Solved...Mostly...

In the middle of writing this post I had a thought that the problem might be the linear rail itself. I took a look at the slide block (carriage or whatever you want to call the traveling lens mount) and sure enough it was gunked up. I cleaned with Isopropyl. The lubricant that I had been using was for hair clippers. After doing some research I found on the forum here that lithium based grease is a good choice. I also looked up info from the manufacurer (PMI) and they recommended Lithium No2 Grease

I read elsewhere about this product: Royal Purple 01312 NLGI No.2
But I am still open to suggestions!

I said the problem was mostly solved because there are still some striations but you can hardly feel them and can only see them in the right lighting. I have been reading that this may just be speed/power/air flow setting related.

Hope that helps others out there

John Noell
11-22-2014, 9:40 PM
Good tip for those of us with Chinese machines. Thanks.