PDA

View Full Version : Which Festool track saw (55 or 75)

Wes Billups
11-22-2014, 4:00 PM
It's time to retire my old stand by circular saw which I predominately use for cutting down sheet goods with a homemade track. I bought my first Festool product (Domino) earlier this year and use it much more than anticipated.

I'm leaning toward the 55 as I rarely need to cut more than an 1-1/2" thick material, for example trimming down doors. 99% of the time it'll be used to cut down 3/4" sheet goods. Looking for input from others. Is there a reason or advantage to go with the bigger saw?

Also would like to know what accessories I should strongly consider. I tend to buy tools when needed so I thought the 55" track would be a sufficient start.

Thanks,
Wes

Harvey Miller
11-22-2014, 4:33 PM
I bought the 75 and find it (a bit) big. The TS55 is 4 pounds lighter. Also the 75 needs slightly longer tracks than the 55. So if you don't need the 75's depth of cut save some weight, save some bucks.

A long track is handy for ripping panels, there's also parallel guides for repeated rips (I went with a third party set, not Festools).

Sam Murdoch
11-22-2014, 5:10 PM
It's time to retire my old stand by circular saw which I predominately use for cutting down sheet goods with a homemade track. I bought my first Festool product (Domino) earlier this year and use it much more than anticipated.

I'm leaning toward the 55 as I rarely need to cut more than an 1-1/2" thick material, for example trimming down doors. 99% of the time it'll be used to cut down 3/4" sheet goods. Looking for input from others. Is there a reason or advantage to go with the bigger saw?

Also would like to know what accessories I should strongly consider. I tend to buy tools when needed so I thought the 55" track would be a sufficient start.

Thanks,
Wes

I think there is your answer. 99% of the time the 75 will be too big and the 55 will be just the right saw. Cutting doors (solid oak - I would likely do in 2 steps. No big deal) and rips in 5/4 stock is a bit slower with the 55 but with the right blade I have never not been able to cut what I intended with the TS55.

Jamie Buxton
11-22-2014, 5:25 PM
I think of the 55 as optimized for a panel saw, and the 75 as optimized for solid lumber. Lumber operations include straight-lining roughsawn stock, and may include thicker material. Processing panels generally means 3/4" stock, and the lighter weight of the 55 is good. The last time I looked, Festool ships the 55 with a plywood blade -- 60? teeth and negative hook angle -- and the 75 with a rip blade -- maybe 24 teeth with a positive hook angle.

If you're going to do a lot of plywood work, I recommend a long track -- 105" I think. Search back a week or two on this forum for a longish thread about whether to buy a long track.

Mike Nguyen
11-22-2014, 6:06 PM
In my case I got the TS55 because I don't cut anything thicker than 1" or at least not yet. I would also get the 75" rail instead of the 55" that comes with the TS55 if you cut 5x5 baltic birch plywood. Some dealer will exchange it plus the difference in cost. If you do a lot of plywood it's worth it get the 115" rail instead of the 105" so you don't have to be careful laying down the rail when ripping 8' plywood. If you only rip 8' long once in awhile then I would get the 75" and a 55" holy rail instead.
Mike

Michael Wildt
11-22-2014, 7:08 PM
+1 on the TS55. Rarely had a need for anything bigger.

TS55 is a nice size and light as well.
Michael

Ted Calver
11-22-2014, 7:27 PM
I pondered this decision and got the 75. Four more pounds isn't really gonna kill me and I'm sliding it on a track not lifting it, so added weight = added stability. It's first job was straight lining rough cut lumber slabs that would have been too thick for the 55. It handles just as easily on sheet goods. Also got the 115" track. No regrets. If you are leaning toward the 55, you won't have any regrets either.

Rich Engelhardt
11-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Is there a reason or advantage to go with the bigger saw?I have the TS55EQ.
It does just fine cutting a single layer of 3/4" ply, but, not so much when I cut two layers of 3/4" at once.
There's a lot of times, like when I make cabinets, when it's nice to cut both sides to size at the same time.

Keith Hankins
11-22-2014, 10:24 PM
I have the TS55, and use it for most everything. Never felt shorted by not getting the 75. You will love it!

Mike Henderson
11-22-2014, 11:12 PM
I have the 55 and haven't had any situations where I wanted a deeper cut.

Mike

mreza Salav
11-23-2014, 12:10 AM
I have the T75 and have used it extensively in the past two years (I mean LOTS). I first had T55 and it wasn't doing the job for me. I was cutting (straight ripping) 8/4 maple and even T75 struggles sometimes. If you are doing only plywood sheets T55 is good enough but if you see yourself using for solid wood lumber thicker than 1" then consider the bigger one.
FYI the Makita track works fine with Festool, i have a 118" one that is less than half the price of festool.

Andrew Gold
11-23-2014, 11:00 AM
I have both and vastly prefer the 55 for all the tasks it can do. That said, I bought the 75 to do some straight line rips on very thick slabs...

I'd suggest starting with the 55, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Brian Holcombe
11-23-2014, 3:50 PM
I have the 55 and often wish I would have gone for the 75. I will probably ebay mine at some point and get the 75. 55 is fine through 3/4 material, but anything heavier and I wish it had more power.

Jim Becker
11-23-2014, 7:29 PM
I have an older equivalent of the 55 and rarely, if ever, have I felt the need for a bigger blade for what I use the track saw for.

Silas Smith
11-23-2014, 7:36 PM
Had the 55 and traded up to the 75. Most days I miss the 55 but my latest project has been working with reclaimed hickory from a barn and the 55 would have been just a bit shy for my needs. If working almost exclusively in ply, the 55 hands down.

Dave Novak
11-24-2014, 2:16 PM
I have the 75, and I've never once wished it we're smaller.

Hunter Locke
11-24-2014, 2:25 PM
I recently had this dilemma. I actually bought the 55, and while it was in the mail I had such regret that I immediately returned it and order the TS75. For me, I just figured I'd spend a little extra now and never desire an upgrade. My $.02!

Sam Murdoch
11-24-2014, 5:17 PM
Doing full length rips in very wet pressure treated plywood today and was stacking it so I was cutting through 1-1/2" ply with a 28 tooth blade on the TS55. The saw worked easily through the double layer. I don't do this often but just as you are asking I thought I would share that it will do the job with the right blade without an argument. What all else has been said about solid wood and/or heavy stock does add merit to getting the bigger saw but from your opening post I hardly think you will need anything bigger than the TS55.

Chris Padilla
11-24-2014, 5:20 PM
I have the TS-65...no longer made BUT I chose it over the 55 for the ability to plunge deeper. It is, however, bigger and heavier but I have been able to cut whatever I wanted with it.

Kevin Wolfe
11-24-2014, 6:34 PM
I owned a 75 for about : days and returned it. I got the dewalt track saw instead and saved a bunch of money. I have used it a lot now and it's all as good as the festool in my opinion. It will work with the festool tracks in case you like them better. I got the saw, 55 and 102" for $575 with free shipping. With an MFT replacement top and some precision dogs, I have everything I need for now. Dust collection on these track saws is really great.

Bill McNiel
11-24-2014, 9:06 PM
Wes,
I have the 55 and am really happy with it. I use it to breakdown sheet goods, rip 5/4 hardwoods, trim face frames, and rip 2" thick hard maple and wenge with ease. The 75 is, for me, too heavy for sheet goods and triming but I'm old and do not have the hand and arm strength I once took for granted. The 55 has never failed me. If a tool is too heavy or cumbersom I tend to not use it.

Larry Fox
11-25-2014, 9:07 AM
The 55 in the classifieds section seems like it would meet your needs. Just sayin....

Wes Billups
12-08-2014, 6:58 PM
Okay, where do you all prefer to purchase your Festool tools? There are no local suppliers so I'm stuck with mail order. I'd like to purchase based on service rather than price. I believe there is someone here, "Bob?", that is a dealer but have been unable to find any information.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Ted Calver
12-08-2014, 7:28 PM
Okay, where do you all prefer to purchase your Festool tools? There are no local suppliers so I'm stuck with mail order. I'd like to purchase based on service rather than price. I believe there is someone here, "Bob?", that is a dealer but have been unable to find any information.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Bob Marino has excellent service. Just google that name.

Jim Becker
12-08-2014, 8:04 PM

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Bob Marino. "Uncle Bob" Da Best...

bobmarinosbesttools dot com

Brian Kincaid
12-09-2014, 12:09 PM
When I had one I felt the TS55 was a little under-powered compared to my normal saws (Makita 5008, Makita 5057) when cutting 3/4" sheets and 4/4+ hardwood. I have heard, though, that the stock blade in the TS55 is not optimal for these materials. I only had the stock blade. My daily user is now a DeWalt track saw and have never felt it to be underpowered.

By underpowered I mean that if I push through the material instead of allowing a smooth cut how does the saw respond. If the saw feels like it is struggling or the blade is slowing then it feels underpowered.

-Brian

Erik Christensen
12-09-2014, 4:57 PM
I have the 75 and would buy again over the 55. Mostly used for sheet goods but when you need the extra depth - you need it :)

Peter Quinn
12-09-2014, 8:00 PM
Depends on what you want to cut, where, and what else you have to work with. I like the 55 size because its light. easier to carry to job site, has cut everything I've ever asked it to even at max depth. I've never used the 75, but I held one, and it seemed a bit heavy. I'm not straight lighting slabs with a track saw, generally not flat, I don't want to clamp the fence to a twisted slab and I don't want to saw a not flat slab with a not clamped track....my track saw is mainly for sheets and odd angles in solids. My BS has a bit more umph than either size track saw, and thats where rough stuff gets a mostly straight edge, one shot over the jointer, its done. For slabs to big to lift......that just hasn't happened yet...I get a friend, set up in/out support. But if you do a lot of thick solids and less plywood, and you plan to use the track saw for those purposes, the bigger machine could be a long term asset. If you cut thick stuff on site, then the BS in the shop wont be much of an asset. You really have to evaluate your situation to determine what works in your shop. I like BoB M. for sales, have also gone to my local lumber yard who is a dealer too. The clamps are helpful, if you are budget conscious other brands work on the festool and are much cheaper. Ideally both would be nice! Luckily festool has a no questions asked return policy, so you can gel free to try one or the other out and return it should you change your mind...or order them both and return the one you find less suitable, then I can buy it later as a recon!

Tom Henderson2
12-10-2014, 11:37 AM

Thanks,
Wes

You'll love the new setup. I made the move 6 years ago and wish now I had done so years earlier. I bought the "combo" deal that had the TS55 and their vacuum; I gagged at the price but have come to consider that vacuum my best shop tool...

By the TS-55 unless you frequently saw thicker stock. If you have to ask.... you probably want the TS55.

As for rails... most dealers will let you swap rails for the difference in retail cost, and the best setup for most is probably a 55" rail with the LR-32 holes and the 75". You can use the rails individually for shorter cuts and join them for 8' sheet goods. Someday you may find a use for the LR-32 holes, and the cost to buy that rail is small compared to the non-hole rail... so for most it is the best way to "future proof" your setup.

Bob Marino is an outstanding dealer and is a great source for info. Don't hesitate to call him and discuss your needs; he will give you good advice.

Bob ships from Ohio so that is good for your Kansas location.

The vacuum is a bigger part of the system then I had originally thought; being able to cut a lot os stuff with very little dust left over is really huge... you'll love it.

My $0.02

-Tom in Ventura