PDA

View Full Version : Small Coupler for Limited Access Zerk Fitting

Bill Adamsen
11-22-2014, 10:10 AM
My equipment has several Zerk fittings in recesses simply too small a diameter (.45 inch) to fit the standard couplers on the end of my grease guns. The options I see are getting a specialty coupler if such a thing exists, or installing (and then replacing) a fitting with an extended base. What do I do?

Tony Joyce
11-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Try one of these. It will work. I've used one on fitting on a CNC router with little clearance such as your picture. It's called a needle grease gun fitting.

Tony

Bill Neely
11-22-2014, 8:36 PM
Check the thread size, if it's an American made machine the zerk is probably 1/8" NPT, if so, just put in a nipple and coupling and screw the zerk back into the coupling. 1/8" pipe couplings are .405"

Ronald Blue
11-23-2014, 9:41 PM
Try this. saeproducts.com/push-type-adapter.html Sit's over the tip rather than trying to keep a needle point on aligned with the zerk.

Bill Adamsen
11-24-2014, 8:05 AM
Thanks Gentlemen, great solutions from people who know, what more could I ask!

The nipple and coupling or needle point I can get locally for +/- $5, the push-type adapter would be a bit more ($30 including shipping) expensive. As the photo shows, I have good access, just limited space surrounding the Zerk. The nipple and coupling I'd have to install and remove, which would introduce the chance of contaminating the bearing surface. That makes the needle the most attractive option, but I simply can't believe the needle actually fits inside that tiny hole on the top of the Zerk - and allow lubricant (Lithium) to pass thru - can it?

Justin Ludwig
11-24-2014, 8:14 AM
Try one of these. It will work. I've used one on fitting on a CNC router with little clearance such as your picture. It's called a needle grease gun fitting.

Tony

+1 The low pressure grease nozzle will push grease into high pressure zerk fittings just as well. I used that method hundreds of times when i was an airframe mechanic.

Justin Ludwig
11-24-2014, 8:17 AM
Thanks Gentlemen, great solutions from people who know, what more could I ask!

The nipple and coupling or needle point I can get locally for +/- $5, the push-type adapter would be a bit more ($30 including shipping) expensive. As the photo shows, I have good access, just limited space surrounding the Zerk. The nipple and coupling I'd have to install and remove, which would introduce the chance of contaminating the bearing surface. That makes the needle the most attractive option, but I simply can't believe the needle actually fits inside that tiny hole on the top of the Zerk - and allow lubricant (Lithium) to pass thru - can it?

It doesn't "fit in it". It pushes the spring loaded ball (a check valve) back far enough to allow grease to be inserted. Steady pressure and push it straight in will "get'r dun".

Jim Andrew
11-24-2014, 7:20 PM
I have one of those needle points that has a zerk on the opposite end so you can just plug it onto your grease gun and use the needle to grease recessed zerks. The needle just pushes the ball back in the hole in the zerk and allows the grease to enter.