PDA

View Full Version : Air Fitration Device install help please

Paul Prescott
07-16-2005, 8:25 PM
After working with some walnut and seeing the fine dust created that evn DC didn't stop from settling everywhere, I bough a JDS 750ER air filter. It will be mounted along the long wall, 10' up. But my shop also has a window AC unit. Nagyszalanczy's book on dust control advises to make sure the air exhaust from the AC doesn't run "counter" to the flow of exhausted air from the AFD. I planned to mount it this way --- see pic.

My planer, jointer, sander are under the AFD, pulled out into the shop for use.
Does this seem correct?

Mike Sheppard
07-16-2005, 9:44 PM
Paul

I think I would turn it 90 deg. and move it closer to your TS, and maybe not so high like 8'. (Just my 2 cents)
Mike

Cecil Arnold
07-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Not sure about the air flow, but I would install a supplemental filter for your A/C unit. If not you will clog the coils and reduce the efficency of the A/C. For a window unit (11,500 BTU) unit I'm using a 16X30" filter which is about 150% larger than the unit's reg. filter.

Paul Prescott
07-17-2005, 1:30 PM
...For a window unit (11,500 BTU) unit I'm using a 16X30" filter which is about 150% larger than the unit's reg. filter.

My unit is 10K BTU. How did you install a larger filter - mounted on the outside with a plenum?

Michael Gabbay
07-17-2005, 6:44 PM
Paul -

I think that would work. You could also have a small fan on the far end of your shop behind the table saw to help promote the circular flow around your shop. Try using a smoke stick to verify that you are creating the circular air flow.

Mike

Dale Thompson
07-17-2005, 7:51 PM
Paul,
Maybe I don't understand your author's use of the term "counter". However, if I understand the term "counter", it means "opposite to". Therefore, since your AC is blowing "in", the flow FROM your AFD should be going in the opposite direction from that shown on your sketch. In other words, with your setup, both units should be "blowing" in the same direction. If they are opposing each other, you will reduce the desired air circulation for both the "conditioned" air AND the "filtered" air.

I agree with Mike that you should drop it down to a lower level. As light as they are, dust particles are still heavier than air.

As a final note, none of the above are going to reduce your immediate exposure to the "fine" dust particles when you are actually using the equipment. If that is your concern, use one of those cheap paper dust masks. They only cost about a nickel and can be reused! :)

I've used the same one for almost 40 years. :eek: Even though it is highly toxic, it still filters out the fine dust particles. ;) :)

Dale T.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your question! :o

Dale T.

Cecil Arnold
07-18-2005, 12:41 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10479&stc=1

You can see the box I built around the A/C in this pic. If it posts.

Paul Prescott
07-18-2005, 7:28 PM
Thanks to all. Bought a smoke candle and will be testing for efficiency this weekend.