PDA

View Full Version : A gift box...

Warren White
07-16-2005, 7:35 PM
Hello to all!
My wife asked me to make a small box for a friend who is leaving the area. While the joinery isn't anything fancy, I hope the pictures do the wood justice. It is 'big leaf maple' with a fantastic figure. (This is the first time posting pictures using iPhoto...I hope I have chosen the right image size.)

Keith posted a few days ago and I really liked the drawer pull he used. I hope he doesn't mind my using the same one. I found it at Lowes. I thought it added just the right amount of whimsey to the box.

Thanks to all of you. I have learned so much from the Creek.

Best wishes,
Warren

Bill Simmeth
07-16-2005, 8:07 PM
Gorgeous! That wood grain is awesome and the craftsmanship is, too. You're wife's friend will have a nice momento of her old neighborhood.

Bill in Delaplane, VA

Jim Becker
07-16-2005, 8:53 PM
Wow, quite the figure...and the box is excellent, too!! I think you did a good thing by sticking with a basic design for this box because that lets the beautiful maple figure speak loud and clear. Wonderful!

------
Hint about photo taking of projects...avoid blue, red or green backgrounds. The color gets picked up by the sheen. Use white, black or preferably, 18% gray backgrounds to help your camera deal with white balance properly. These turned out fine because you shot outdoors, but you would have been unhappy with them indoors.

Bob Noles
07-16-2005, 9:32 PM
That is some of the most interesting wood grain I have seen. Nice job on the box. Someone is really going to enjoy that gift,

lou sansone
07-16-2005, 9:33 PM
excellent work. I love the figure. . really spectactular wood.

lou

Roy Wall
07-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Warren,

That is terrific my friend --- it will be cherished forever!! Nice work!!!!!

Martin Shupe
07-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Beautiful job Warren!!!

Good to see your name again!

Corey Hallagan
07-16-2005, 11:10 PM
That is awesome! Nice work and I think you did that beautiful wood justice for sure. Thanks for posting.

Corey

Frankie Hunt
07-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Very nice !!!

Frankie

Jason Tuinstra
07-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Warren, really, really nice! From the figure of the wood, to the edge detail, it just works! Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

Vaughn McMillan
07-17-2005, 2:06 AM
Great looking box, Warren. The wood is so nice I'm afraid if I made something with it I'd be reluctant to give it away. Definitely a million dollar grain on that hunk of tree.

- Vaughn

Angus Stewart
07-17-2005, 2:05 PM
great box. i am building a box right now for my mother out of the wood salvaged from my old and now dangerous crib. (i survived but....any how.) the wood is beech and i put some black walnut details. the thing i was wondering about was the bottom of the inside. wow did you get that great color. -angus

John Renzetti
07-17-2005, 2:18 PM
Great job Warren! You made that grain really come alive.
take care,
John

Warren White
07-17-2005, 2:40 PM
Hint about photo taking of projects...avoid blue, red or green backgrounds. The color gets picked up by the sheen. Use white, black or preferably, 18% gray backgrounds to help your camera deal with white balance properly. These turned out fine because you shot outdoors, but you would have been unhappy with them indoors.

Jim,
Thank you for your compliment, and also for your suggestion regarding the background. You obviously have quite a background in both woodworking and photography! Where would you suggest I find something that is 18% gray? My first thought would be to find an appropriately shaded piece of paper and then look for a corresponding piece of fabric.

I always appreciate your help.

Take care,
Warren

Warren White
07-17-2005, 2:44 PM
great box. i am building a box right now for my mother out of the wood salvaged from my old and now dangerous crib. (i survived but....any how.) the wood is beech and i put some black walnut details. the thing i was wondering about was the bottom of the inside. wow did you get that great color. -angus

Angus,
That will be a great memento for your Mother! It will have very special meaning for both of you.

The inside of the box is crushed velvet picked up ($19.95/yard) at a fabric store. I sprayed some contact adhesive on a piece of 1/8 ply (cut to just under the inside dimension of the box), put the fabric on, cut the corners off, and folded it over. After that, it was just slid into the box, nestling right up to the 1/8 ply dadoed into the sides of the box.

Warren

Warren White
07-17-2005, 2:46 PM
Beautiful job Warren!!!

Good to see your name again!

Hi Martin! Always good to hear from you too! Hope you are well.

Warren

Jim Hinze
07-17-2005, 2:48 PM
Awseome figure on the Maple.. the design helps bring it out. I also like the raised lid.. did you do that with a cove bit? Raised Panel bit?

She's gonna love the gift!

Keith Hooks
07-18-2005, 12:59 PM
What an incredible box! That's some of the most beautiful figure that I've ever seen. I'm also partial to frog handles :)

Keith Burns
07-18-2005, 1:37 PM
Ditto to what all have said. Great piece. Love the wood. I personally like the simplicity as well. Any fancy stuff would have been a distraction.

"I'm tired of being arm candy for my wife"

Warren White
07-19-2005, 12:04 AM
What an incredible box! That's some of the most beautiful figure that I've ever seen. I'm also partial to frog handles :)

Hi Keith,
I mentioned in the post that I first saw the frog in your picture. I hoped that you didn't mind my "hopping" on the bandwagon. It was just too cute to pass up!

Thanks for the inspiration. I went looking for a plain old knob, but when I opened the drawer with the frog (there were lizards there too), I knew I had what I wanted.

Best wishes,
Warren

Warren White
07-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Awseome figure on the Maple.. the design helps bring it out. I also like the raised lid.. did you do that with a cove bit? Raised Panel bit?

She's gonna love the gift!

Hi Jim,
It was a raised panel bit. It is a gentle curve and the idea of using it woke me up in the middle of the night. I was pleased at the outcome. Thanks for looking and for your encouragement.

WW