PDA

View Full Version : Mirka Deros?

David Kuzdrall
11-21-2014, 8:05 PM
Looking at my popular woodworking magazine this evening I noticed a new sander being promoted by Mirka, the Deros. Looks like an improved concept over the Ceros but I figured I would check here to see if anyone has used it and has any impressions yet.

thx

Peter Quinn
11-21-2014, 8:23 PM
Improvement, not sure. Its an AC version of the Ceros, so requires no external power supply. The ceros has the transformer to make DC power. The Deros looks a little larger, or longer anyway. I'd want to hold it in my hand to see how it works. I've been using the ceros at work for about a month, really love that sander. Beats most pneumatics I've used, the power supply is a minor inconvenience, but hardly a show stopper, just have to move it around occasionally. Its light, great power, great dust collection. So if the Deros incorporates all of those features without getting bulky, may be an improvement. Certainly an improvement over any other electric sander.

Mark Bolton
11-21-2014, 8:26 PM
Even though its minimal the bummer is the increased size over the Ceros with the outboard power supply.

Mark Bolton
11-21-2014, 8:30 PM
Beats most pneumatics I've used

Have you seen many of the spec's with regards to the electrics with power supplies (surf prep, ceros, 3m, etc) You simply cant run a pneumatic for what these cost to run. I think SurfPrep calls out something like 6$ a month in a production environment. You cant possibly make and condition enough air for a dynabrade for that.

Its just no comparison.

Dan Clark
11-21-2014, 9:40 PM
Looking at my popular woodworking magazine this evening I noticed a new sander being promoted by Mirka, the Deros. Looks like an improved concept over the Ceros but I figured I would check here to see if anyone has used it and has any impressions yet.

thx
David,

I have the Ceros 150. It is an awesome sander. Besides power, speed, and excellent dust collection, it's in a new category of electric sanders. Unlike all of the other sanders I've used (I currently have five Festool sanders), the Ceros is so small and light that it becomes an extension of your hand. For example...

I'm sanding a bull-nose on some garage shelving right now. Sanding a bull nose is extremely fast. When you come to a corner, you let up on the paddle and it slows down so you won't get it too round. When you get past the corner, you mash down the paddle and go full bore with it. Hooked to a good vac, sanding is enjoyable.

The DEROs looks bigger and heavier. I question whether it is as good as the Ceros.

Regards,

Dan.

John Coloccia
11-21-2014, 11:58 PM
I LOVE my Ceros. Hands down the best, most comfortable sander I've ever used. I can sand all day, with no anti-vibration gloves, and it doesn't bother me. This is coming from someone with carpal and cubital tunnel problems. Deros? Mirka's not dumb. There must be a market for it that I'm just not thinking of, but I can't see why I'd buy that over the Ceros. I wonder who they're targeting.

Ken Krawford
11-22-2014, 8:45 AM
I've had my Ceros for 1 year and it replaced a Festool ETS 125. I LOVE the Ceros compared to the Festool but am pretty disappointed in the dust collection. When I finish sanding a piece, I can run my hand over the surface and it is covered with dust. Using the same dust collection (Festool vacuum) and my old ETS 125, there'd be no dust left on the surface. I'm using Abranet as an abrasive. I found it interesting that 2 previous posts mentioned "great dust collection".

Nathan Birrell
11-22-2014, 9:19 AM
Heh, a new model was initiated by me finally buying a Ceros one month ago.

It does look interesting, but the compactness of the Ceros will be hard to beat.

I notice the Deros comes with both the 150mm (6") and 125mm (5") pads. That is a tremendous idea.

-Nate

Peter Quinn
11-22-2014, 11:37 AM
I've had my Ceros for 1 year and it replaced a Festool ETS 125. I LOVE the Ceros compared to the Festool but am pretty disappointed in the dust collection. When I finish sanding a piece, I can run my hand over the surface and it is covered with dust. Using the same dust collection (Festool vacuum) and my old ETS 125, there'd be no dust left on the surface. I'm using Abranet as an abrasive. I found it interesting that 2 previous posts mentioned "great dust collection".

My my experience has been considerably different. Using a fein turbo II and basic 5 hole paper, virtually dust free, the ets 125 is perhaps a bit better still on dust but the Ceros eliminates any dust cloud versus other alternatives, and it's such a better sanding experience than the festool there is hardly a comparison. I own several festool sanders for use in the home shop, at work it's Ceros all the way.

Peter Quinn
11-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Have you seen many of the spec's with regards to the electrics with power supplies (surf prep, ceros, 3m, etc) You simply cant run a pneumatic for what these cost to run. I think SurfPrep calls out something like 6$ a month in a production environment. You cant possibly make and condition enough air for a dynabrade for that.

Its just no comparison.

Exactly the reason we are using the Ceros. My present employer was ready to step up the sanding game, wanted better quality and speed, less swirls that show up in finishing, we do a lot of flush shelve FF cabs so you have to sand in close quarters inside of cases, we're using electric ROS previously. He asked resident tool junkie ( that's me) for options, need to run two sanders simultaneously, air for CNC, nail guns and basic tools at benches, air for blow off. We have a 15CFM compressor that just keeps up with current usage, looking at minimum $4-$5k to up grade air system, add dryer, etc, plus sanders, plus electrical service, plus operation cost. Ceros was a good value in comparison, and it can go to jobsites for site work and touch ups which makes everyone happy, most of all the finishing guys. Every guy in the shop loves this thing, nobody wants to use anything else anymore. When the Ceros is busy....I wait and do other things.

Wade Lippman
11-22-2014, 12:51 PM

I just got rid of my Ceros because the dust collection was inadequate. My Boschs might be a bit rough, but at least they don't leave piles of dust. (and are a tad cheaper).

Maybe people have different expectations for dust collection.

John Coloccia
11-22-2014, 1:42 PM
Funny. I think the dust collection is phenomenal. The local Woodcraft actually has a display setup with a working Ceros, a block of wood and their dust extractor. Not a spec gets anywhere, and that's my experience as well.

Prashun Patel
11-22-2014, 2:26 PM
I am with you john. The dust collection on my ceros is so good, i can sand in my basement with comfort.

Rockne Schultz
01-22-2015, 1:08 PM

thx

I wanted to provide a bit of information that will hopefully prevent anyone from making the same assumption that I did. The Deros that is sold in the US is not the same as the Deros sold overseas. This info came to me straight from the (very kind) Mirka folks in Twinsburg, Ohio. What's different? Well, the important part for me was that you cannot interchange the 150mm and 125mm pads. Personally, that was the entire reason I bought the sander. I'm a hobbyist and do not need this quality of sander, but thought, "Wow, the 150/125 conversion is really a neat feature that I will use." It's so odd that they market this feature so heavily overseas.

It was by chance that I found this out. The 125 backup pad I ordered happened to be out of stock, and the folks at Beaver Industrial (where I ordered the sander, also very, very nice people) called me to let me know that the pads weren't interchangeable.

I think this is a customer-service nightmare waiting to happen, so I hope Mirka will figure this out before too many Deros go out the door leaving customers very disappointed!!!

John Schweikert
01-22-2015, 1:24 PM
While I couldn't find that specific info related to the U.S. Deros, I kind of made that assumption. It's a shame because if the Deros here would allow interchanging the pads then I would be all over getting one, but now I have no interest. I have the 6" Ceros, it works perfectly. I'll keep using it as long as possible.

Brian Tymchak
01-22-2015, 1:48 PM
In the market to upgrade my ROS (Dewalt 5"). This thread is great info but I'm kinda curious about the last few posts. There must be a real advantage to being able to change between a 5" and a 6" pad, but I don't understand it. I figure if I had a 6", I would likely never use a 5" pad due to decreased surface area. Can someone explain the advantage of switching back and forth?

Thanks, Brian

John Coloccia
01-22-2015, 1:57 PM
In the market to upgrade my ROS (Dewalt 5"). This thread is great info but I'm kinda curious about the last few posts. There must be a real advantage to being able to change between a 5" and a 6" pad, but I don't understand it. I figure if I had a 6", I would likely never use a 5" pad due to decreased surface area. Can someone explain the advantage of switching back and forth?

Thanks, Brian

I build guitars and the 6" pad is too big. For someone that builds cabinets, the 6" pad adds a lot more surface area and is more convenient. I just have a 5" Ceros, btw. It's disappointing that Mirka can't provide the US consumer with the same convenience and options as the European consumer. I'm going to send them an e-mail and figure out why this is.

Kent A Bathurst
01-22-2015, 3:08 PM
Can someone explain the advantage of switching back and forth?

That one is easy for me:

Get the 6" Deros. Use with 5" pad as the $250+ inventory of 5" discs is used up. The irony is - all those discs are Mirka Gold.

Prashun Patel
01-22-2015, 4:18 PM
If you are only using it for sanding broad surfaces like table tops, a bigger pad is nice. However, for sanding skinny aprons and legs it can be harder to balance a larger pad and prevent rounding over.

In fact, if you use your Ceros like I do, for fairing some curves and transitions where a spokeshave or rasp cannot navigate, then I would even say get a soft backing pad in addition to the hard.

The pads are so easy to switch out: jam in the wrench, spin the pad free with your other hand, spin on the new one.

Keith Pleas
02-04-2016, 1:36 PM
The pads are so easy to switch out: jam in the wrench, spin the pad free with your other hand, spin on the new one.
I don't have mine in front of me, but I thought there was a dust collection shroud that was matched to each pad size. I only have the 5 inch, but have thought about the six-inch on occasion.

Prashun Patel
02-04-2016, 3:03 PM
Sorry if I misled, Keith; I was talking about switching out 5" hard pad for 5" soft pad.

James Zhu
02-04-2016, 4:57 PM
I wanted to provide a bit of information that will hopefully prevent anyone from making the same assumption that I did. The Deros that is sold in the US is not the same as the Deros sold overseas. This info came to me straight from the (very kind) Mirka folks in Twinsburg, Ohio. What's different? Well, the important part for me was that you cannot interchange the 150mm and 125mm pads. Personally, that was the entire reason I bought the sander. I'm a hobbyist and do not need this quality of sander, but thought, "Wow, the 150/125 conversion is really a neat feature that I will use." It's so odd that they market this feature so heavily overseas.

It was by chance that I found this out. The 125 backup pad I ordered happened to be out of stock, and the folks at Beaver Industrial (where I ordered the sander, also very, very nice people) called me to let me know that the pads weren't interchangeable.

I think this is a customer-service nightmare waiting to happen, so I hope Mirka will figure this out before too many Deros go out the door leaving customers very disappointed!!!

Regarding the interchangeable issue, here below was the response I received from Mirka Canada in Dec, 2015. At the end, I bought Festool ETS EC 150/3.

In order to make a 6” DEROS into a 5”, you could purchase separately the 5” back up pad part # 915GV28-130g.

http://www.mirka.com/accessories/Backing-Pads1/#/8292502511/Backing%20Pad%20Net%20125mm%205/16%22%20Grip%2028H%20130g%20Medium

This pad is balanced to run on the 6” DEROS. We do not have a backup pad to do the opposite (turn 5” into 6”).

roger wiegand
02-05-2016, 8:49 AM
I've only had my Deros for a week, but I've got to say I'm in love! The first thing that shocked me was how tiny it was, so for those complaining about size I guess it depends where you're coming from! I'll need to get a chance to use it more before posting any kind of real review. First impression is fabulous!