PDA

View Full Version : What's the strangest thing a customer has had you engrave?

Brian Leavitt
11-21-2014, 3:12 PM
I had a customer in here a few weeks ago with a very large Moose antler they wanted engraved. It took a little bit of creativity, and the bypassing of one of the laser's safety features, but I got it done. Got me wondering what weird stuff others have done?

I can't remember the actual size of the antler, but for scale, the engraving is seven inches in length.

Neil Pabia
11-21-2014, 3:48 PM
I was bored and did my toilet tank lid.

Gary Hair
11-21-2014, 4:56 PM
I was bored and did my toilet tank lid.

Classic, well done!

Kev Williams
11-21-2014, 8:54 PM
I've engraved firemen's instructions on 2 fully assembled stainless steel elevator call-button walls (because the building owner didn't want a second instruction plate screwed to the main wall panel)

I've laser engraved the fenders on several horse saddles--

But the strangest thing I've ever engraved would be this:

--a 2 foot tall, 150 pound bronze cat sarcophagus. Just holding the thing so I COULD engrave it was half the job. I've done several such engravings since, however, I get only the bottom plates now rather than the finished product.

Tony Schick
11-24-2014, 5:31 PM
How about these? For our end of year BBQ last year.

vic casware
11-24-2014, 6:16 PM
I didn't see sausages listed on my power and speed recommendation sheet :D
Does lasering food like that leave ant sticky residue inside the cabinet?

David Somers
11-24-2014, 6:29 PM
OK Kev....just how old are you? I thought Ramses was the last of the Pharoas to do bronze sarcophagus's, feline or otherwise? <grin>

Dave

Tony Schick
11-24-2014, 7:33 PM
Didn't seem to, although that might account for the aroma around the lab for the next day or so!
FWIW we put them on a styrene tray in the cabinet.

Craig Matheny
11-27-2014, 1:46 AM
When I first got my laser i cut out the words eat me on a piece of bread did a great job but man did it taste nasty the worst burnt taste I have ever tasted:D

Jess Phiz
11-28-2014, 3:32 AM
When we first got our laser, we laser etched Jesus' Face in toast, it looked really good haha

Henri Sallinen
11-28-2014, 8:05 AM
We've sold quite a bit of laser engraved gingerbread cookies near christmases. Usually they are engraved with a company logo or a seasonal greeting. Works great if the cookie is the right kind!

John Bion
11-28-2014, 8:19 AM
I've laser engraved the fenders on several horse saddles--

Boy oh boy, your workshop must have stunk after that Kev:eek:

Bill Stearns
11-28-2014, 11:40 AM
NOT ONLY THE STRANGEST - certainly, the saddest! A young couple came to me. They had lost their baby right after giving birth. They had taken a photo of the child! Insisted that I engrave the photo on my Home Depot black granite tile. The photo was extremely low-res 'n fussy! I told 'em in advance it wouldn't engrave well; still they wanted me to do it. (not as a "marker", but as a keepsake.) I kept to myself as to the right, or wrong, of their wanting a picture, an engraving, like that. Hard as I worked with Photoshop the engraving was almost indistinguishable. I didn't charge them for it. And, don't think I will ever do anything like this again! Way too sad!

Bill

Kev Williams
11-28-2014, 6:49 PM
Boy oh boy, your workshop must have stunk after that Kev:eek:
Not really, which is why I'm not afraid to talk up my Harbor Freight blowers. Even at the outer edge of the table with the door wide open, the vast majority of the smoke & smell ends up outside!

Dave Sheldrake
11-28-2014, 6:58 PM
NOT ONLY THE STRANGEST - certainly, the saddest! A young couple came to me. They had lost their baby right after giving birth. They had taken a photo of the child! Insisted that I engrave the photo on my Home Depot black granite tile. The photo was extremely low-res 'n fussy! I told 'em in advance it wouldn't engrave well; still they wanted me to do it. (not as a "marker", but as a keepsake.) I kept to myself as to the right, or wrong, of their wanting a picture, an engraving, like that. Hard as I worked with Photoshop the engraving was almost indistinguishable. I didn't charge them for it. And, don't think I will ever do anything like this again! Way too sad!

Bill

But your measure as a man was demonstrated by not charging and feeling the pain of their loss.

You are indeed a credit to the industry Bill

best wishes

Dave

John Noell
11-29-2014, 12:56 PM
A guy brought me a big whale tooth to be given as a 21st birthday present. (Whale teeth are culturally important in Fiji.) sure did stink, just like burning hair.

Bill Cunningham
12-07-2014, 8:45 PM
301776Did some butt ends of Elk antlers, and many foot prints of stillborns, but the strangest thing was a err.. Latex 'male appendage' to be mounted on a presentation plaque.. Here's a picture of the Elk Antler Butt ends that were later made into belt buckles

Tim Bateson
12-19-2014, 3:50 PM
A recent job - A Champion Boxing Belt - used by a local corporation as an motivation award. This belt was really big and heavy.

Gary Hair
12-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Today was probably the strangest in over 8 years. I had a customer bring in three different size cartridges filled with human cremains to be engraved with initials and a name. They tumbled the brass, pressed in new primers, filled with cremains and capped them off with a bullet. .45, .223 and .308.