PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Fail-safe way to mount engraved plates on plaques?

Bill Stearns
11-21-2014, 11:43 AM
HI ALL -
Is there a fail-safe, time-saving, perhaps professional/secret, way to attach engraved plates, and/or decorative plastic (wreath) mounts, on to plaques? At present, I carefully measure and mark each plaque for proper placement, but it’s a slow ‘n kind’ a nerve-racking process. (‘cause I’m talking ‘bout those simulated wood plaques, where taped plates, if removed, will destroy the finish.) In this case, I am only talking ‘bout (20) 8" x 10" plaques for the current job. But, wondering if, those shops that do hundreds of same-style plaques don’t have some clever method I’m overlooking? Eager to hear!

Thanks
Bill

Gary Hair
11-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Cut a template the size of the plaque - use cardboard, thin acrylic, whatever you can find.

Scott Shepherd
11-21-2014, 12:34 PM
What Gary said.

Get a pack of 10 sheets of poster board. It's about .020" thick paper used for a lot of school projects. It's cheap. Cut whatever you need.

Skyler Bierley
11-21-2014, 1:06 PM
I use a PWK Plaque Aligner, its pretty old but does the job. No idea if the company still exists but I am sure someone makes something similar. Assembly for a 300 plaque order took no time at all.

Mike Null
11-21-2014, 1:34 PM
I use my eye.

Center the plate side to side and an equal distance from the top. If you are using the standard 6x8 plate for an 8x10 plaque, or 7x10 plate for a 9x12 plaque you have 1" all the way around. It's virtually foolproof and in my opinion, more reliable than templates.

I make a lot of plaques (last year over 1000) and it's rare that I have to re-do any.

Brian Leavitt
11-21-2014, 2:55 PM
^^^ +1!

I do several thousand plaques a year and have always eyeballed every one of 'em with nary an issue.

Bill Stearns
11-21-2014, 3:42 PM
THANKS GUYS!
I should’ve clarified that I’m not talking ‘bout mounting "full plates" to plaques; that’s easy enough by "eye" or ruler. But, rather how to ensure uniformity when mounting smaller plates. (i.e. 3" x 4", etc.) to ‘bunch of same size plaques. I'll try the template idea for more quickly mounting small plates - not so sure ‘bout using one for those odd shaped gold plastic decorative mounts (in this case a wreath with leaves sticking out.) The "Plaque Aligner" device Skyler mentioned looks kind’ a clever; more what I had in mind. Gonna see if I can't find one on the www. BTW: This may be of interest to you. I've been using a "special pen" to mark where I want' a place something. Bought it at Wal-Mart; found it in the sewing section. Has disappearing ink! - the ladies use it for marking fabrics for sewing.

Thanks again,
Bill

Brian Leavitt
11-21-2014, 4:10 PM
Ohhhh... I thought you meant full plates... sorry. In that case, I usually make a jig out of acrylic if it's a whole bunch of plaques, but for 95% of the plaques I do I still eyeball it, even if it's not a full cover plaque.

Ross Moshinsky
11-21-2014, 5:30 PM
Eye ball, jig, or throw the actual plaque in the machine and mark it.

Mike Null
11-22-2014, 6:18 AM
Bill

I have one of those plastic center rules which I use quite often.

Kathy Imberman
01-21-2016, 4:07 PM
Hi Skyler,

I just purchased a PWK Plaque Aligner on eBay.

You wouldn't have a manual or access to any instructions would you?

Thanks!

Kathy

Jeff Belany
01-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Can you briefly describe how you use this? Saw one on EBAY for about $100. Could probably make one.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Tucker Alford
02-14-2016, 8:46 AM
I have found the most repeatable, time saving and accurate way is to let the laser make the plaque for you. Draw the plaque. I draw the repeatable plate with holes. The holes are typically undersized to .05 or so and filled solid to be rastered by laser. After the plate is designed I wil layout plates vertically and then snap copies horizontally to get the required number of plates. Send just the plate holes to laser and print your plaque. I save all the various plaque plates and layouts to access quickly in the future. Assembly can be done by a monkey.

Mike Null
02-14-2016, 10:24 AM
I've used that method as well for large perpetual plaques but that doesn't help when you're using tape. There blue painter's tape can make a good guide.

Glenn Norton
02-15-2016, 2:29 PM
We do plaques by the thousands here so you get pretty good at doing them by eyeballing, even on the small plates. But when you are getting started it is much easier to make a jig. The econo plaques don't old up with any tape so the jig is the best beginner way. You can also just remove a small piece of tape backing, slip it out beside the plate, set it in place carefully the pull off the remainder of the backing and stick it down.