PDA

View Full Version : Bosch, Kreg or ???????

Jim Colombo
11-21-2014, 10:15 AM
I have a garage shop with very limited space ( I have to move the cars out so I can roll the tools in) so I'm looking for a bench top router table. I'm a hobbyist and don't do that much routing (mostly for making jigs, so I do want accuracy). Which of these is the best or is there another I should be looking at.

Thanks,
Jim

Mike Ontko
11-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Hi Jim,

I'm in a similar situation, setting up shop in the back of my 2-car garage. I'd purchased the BOSCH RA1171 (http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=RA1171) bench top router table because it appeared to be sturdier than most of the plastic framed models that are out there. I didn't find much in the way of online reviews or videos, but the ones I did find were all positive. I'm currently using it with a Porter-Cable 690LR router in a fixed base setup (I've got a plunge base, but haven't tried it yet). The fence is a little bit light-duty and could be improved for easier and more precise adjustment but it seems at least adequate. I've also been fiddling with the leveling adjustments for the router plate, trying to keep it level with the table surface. Over time, the vibrations from the router seem to shake the leveling screws and drive the plate down into the table--but this could possibly be because of my error and not the design. Dust collection is okay, certainly better than you'd get with an open base type of table, with 2-1/2" connection ports on the fence and back of the cabinet.

Mike Heidrick
11-21-2014, 12:58 PM
I'd DIY one that folds flat to a wall.

Rick Potter
11-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Cannot speak to the Bosch, but the Kreg benchtop unit is heavy and solid as a rock. If you want it enclosed, I am sure you could do that easily.

Rick Potter

Stan Calow
11-22-2014, 9:17 AM
I'd get the one with the best fence.

Bill Huber
11-22-2014, 9:21 AM
I had the Bosch RA1171 and it did just fine but it did not take me very long before I out grew it. The table is a little small for me and the dust collection was not that good.

I guess if I was going to get one I would look at the Kreg, it just looks very stable and you could always inclose the bottom.

Jim Becker
11-22-2014, 10:04 AM
You might also consider a multi-purpose "small shop" work center arrangement when you combine your router table functionality with other needs. That way you can have a larger surface to support your work while doing the router work...the main downside to a portable, "benchtop" solution.

Jim Colombo
11-23-2014, 9:50 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like Kreg might be the better choice.
Jim, what do mean by a "small shop work center"?

Jim Becker
11-23-2014, 7:19 PM
Jim, what do mean by a "small shop work center"?

A setup that combines workbench space with tool workstation(s), such as a built-in router table...it does double duty so you get the benefit of the larger work surface without taking up "room in the room for another tool".

John Goodin
11-23-2014, 9:00 PM
I have the Bosch RA1181 with the metal table. Don't like it and am considering getting the Benchdog contractor tabletop router table. It gets good reviews and I like the enclosed bottom to help prevent slinging saw dust around and noise reduction. I too have a garage shop and while I always wear hearing protection my neighbors don't.

Jim Becker
11-24-2014, 9:47 AM
John, I have an enclosure mounted below my BenchDog cast iron table for exactly the purpose you state.

Photos in this old thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?54500-Project-Router-Station-For-Sliding-Table-Saw&highlight=BenchDog

Completed photo in post #7