PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive platters for mirrors

Kev Williams
11-21-2014, 12:04 AM
Thought I'd try it. Worked great, was even a noticeable difference since my old mirror's gotten pretty bad in the past couple of months. Then tonight while cutting out some overlays, I noticed the top of the lens lighting up. Didn't take long to figure out why, so I grabbed the camera...

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/mirror1.JPG

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/mirror2.JPG

-- oddly enough, the plates finished cutting just fine. FWIW, the platter I used feels and acts like glass? I was surprised I was able to cut it out.

But on a good note, seems I don't need to adjust my beam.

You guys who are using these, have you checked them lately? This one lasted thru maybe 20 minutes of use...

walter hofmann
11-21-2014, 5:15 AM
hi there
I and many folks I supplied with use this kind since 3 years now and no visible since of scratch. I don't know what kind of HD disc you use, they are usually made from aluminum with special coating.
greetings
waltfl

Dan Hintz
11-21-2014, 6:58 AM
From the looks of your machine, it's not the mirrors that are the problem... it's cleanliness! If you have that much junk floating around that it covers anything and everything like that, I'm surprised the mirrors don't pack their bags the moment you walk away. For all that's holy, man, clean that machine and get some proper airflow in there!

Stephen C Cunningham
11-21-2014, 7:06 AM
I'm a computer tech and I destroy a lot of old drives for clients (pick axe works best) 2.5 inch drives are glass, 3.5 inch are aluminum.

Dave Sheldrake
11-21-2014, 10:09 AM
From the looks of your machine, it's not the mirrors that are the problem... it's cleanliness! If you have that much junk floating around that it covers anything and everything like that, I'm surprised the mirrors don't pack their bags the moment you walk away. For all that's holy, man, clean that machine and get some proper airflow in there!

pretty much :) soon as a spec of dust lands on the mirror the index of reflectivity drops like a rock, they get hot...very hot and just burn, seen it happen with gold PVD silicon mirrors and it's never pretty.

cheers

Dave