PDA

View Full Version : trend faceshield respirator

Joe romano
11-20-2014, 9:46 PM
Im looking to buy a Trend face shield respirator,but need some feed back.
Can you wear glasses comfortably

Any feed back concerning any other brand would be well appreciated
joe

Mike Peace
11-20-2014, 9:56 PM
Yes, I wear glasses comfortably with one. Without a smart charges the battery life is not good. Here is a solution to that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV-yMPfvRsY

Jeffrey J Smith
11-20-2014, 10:17 PM
I use a Trend AirShield Pro with glasses with no problems. As Mike has said - get a smart charger.

Brad Morrow
11-21-2014, 3:45 PM
Why not just get a good face shield with integral filters? They are about a third of the price of the airshield and no where near as fiddly.

Rick Gibson
11-21-2014, 4:02 PM
I use mine with safety glasses all the time. Instead of a smart charger I use a light timer. The one I have has a rotary dial and little plastic plugs that you put in when you want to turn the light on or off. I put a plug in to stop the timer at 2 pm and start it at 12 pm. I don't put in a start plug. This gives me a 14 hr charge and the power goes off to the charger. If you have only used your Trend for 4 hrs you can adjust the charge time for a 7 hr charge or just leave it and hope you have enough battery capacity for tomorrow.

allen thunem
11-21-2014, 4:29 PM
joe
i just sold my air shield due to its weight. very top heavy.made my neck hurt after prolonged use.

worked well with glasses but parts are pricey and battery life is poor. if you ever have to replace the lens its over 40 bucks. but you can buy overlays for the lens and they work well but in time it does scratch .
another down side to them is if you use c.a. glue or spray with it on it will suck the fumes back into the face mask and that aint good.
i replaced it with a s.a.b.a. supplied air breathing apparatus
the air supply is much better and much cooler. you are drawing outside air from a source other than your work space.
just my two cents

Larry Matchett
11-21-2014, 8:19 PM
I use with safety glasses. Works well. I also charge with smart charger that Mike came up with. I wear out before the battery does. Expensive but then what doesn't when it comes to wood turning. I would not be without it.

Ralph Lindberg
11-21-2014, 11:21 PM
We own two, mine is 7 years old and hers is 2. In that time we have only had one battery fail and it failed with an internal broken wire.
The switch on mine has gotten sticky.
Both of them show wear on the seal around the face. But we are wearing them a lot.
I wear glasses under mine, she usually doesn't.
We did buy two batteries each.

Steve Schlumpf
11-22-2014, 12:30 AM
I picked up a Trend in 2006. I did find it a little top heavy but never had a problem wearing glasses while using it.

There are a lot of threads about the Trend, Trend-Pro, batteries, smart chargers and what members have done to improve their equipment. Just do an advanced search for 'Trend, batteries' in the Turners Forum and you'll have lots of info available!!

Robert Edington
11-22-2014, 8:44 AM
I use a 3M full face mask with the Organic vapor filters, P-95 prefilters. I wear glasses with it. I can use lacquer and not smell it. But, if you used this mask you will not be able to replace the batteries or use a smart charger! So there are draw backs. Plus, you have to figure out where to put the money you save.

RP

Jim Seyfried
11-22-2014, 9:59 AM
I use a Trend AirShield Pro with glasses with no problems. As Mike has said - get a smart charger.

Same here. If you get the smart charger (well worth while) I would recommend labeling it for the Trend especially if you have other equipment that uses the same plug. I know a guy that wasn't smarter than his smart charger and plugged it into a lower voltage laser...now he has a new laser and labeled chargers. :D

Roger Chandler
11-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I guess that each turner has his/her own unique physical and asthetic attributes. I have used the Trend Airshield Pro for nearly 4 years, and have never had an issue with it causing me discomfort. I have a herniated disc in my neck and a shoulder problem as well, but have worn the Airshield Pro for hours on end.

I do think the filters are too expensive and that the charger they send with the unit could be improved to a smart charger, but after reading Mike Peaces post and viewing his video, I ordered the Tenergy smart charger he mentions, and since I have the batteyr cradle as well, charging will be a breeze and should help create a much better battery life.

I also wear glasses, and have not had any issues related to the A.S.P. in that regard. I have replaced the face seal on mine once, as the original just got stretched out so much it would not fit around the face well anymore........we have one of our members in the Central Virginia Woodturners who owns P & R Distributing and has the Trend unit as part of his business, and other Trend products as well. Phil will treat you right if you look him up!

Wearing the Trend has drastically cut down on the amount of sinus infections I used to get.........and protects the lungs and face area as well! I am basically a satisfied user of this unit and think it is an important piece of safety gear for any woodturner.

Dwight Rutherford
11-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Like others here I wear glasses under my Trend Airshield Pro with no problems. I did add the smart charger (about $20) and have no issues with battery life on the original battery packs. Bought mine when they first came out. The headband broke three weeks ago, called Trend to purchase a new one. They sent me one no charge! Great customer service!

Neil Bosdet
11-22-2014, 10:40 PM
I wear a full face shield and a 3M 8211 filter mask with glasses. This seems to work fine and since I wear the filter mask all the time in the shop, I don't quite understand the need for a $400 face shield. Is there something I'm missing here? I'm not a cheap guy. I buy what I need and what I want. I have considered this device but just don't get the value. Comments?

Roger Chandler
11-23-2014, 2:29 PM
I wear a full face shield and a 3M 8211 filter mask with glasses. This seems to work fine and since I wear the filter mask all the time in the shop, I don't quite understand the need for a $400 face shield. Is there something I'm missing here? I'm not a cheap guy. I buy what I need and what I want. I have considered this device but just don't get the value. Comments?

It is recommended that any woodturner use a full faceshield for protection of the eyes and face for protection against flying chips and if it were to happen a piece coming off that might be big enough to take out teeth, eyes or cause death. We have had some fatalities from pieces flying apart, and serious injuries from the same type of events. A filter mask will not stop those and what the Trend Airshield pro and othe PAPR respirator masks do is protect the breathing and the face with a safety shield all in the same unit.

Don't get lured into thinking that something cannot happen to you.........I personally have had wood blanks come apart [totally unexpected of course] and had it not been for a faceshield being worn, I would likely had teeth knocked out or perhaps even more serious injury. It happens in an instant and the only thing you can do is have on protection before the event occurs!

Safety is something that most of us learn after an event, unfortunately.........I am trying my best to become proactive instead of having to deal with the aftermath of a serious, but avoidable injury!

Glad to hear Neil that you are using a full faceshield.......one in combination with a dust mask is an effective way to prevent respiration and impact injuries. Not sure if the dust mask is rated as good as the PAPR devices, but it is a fairly effective combination.

Neil Bosdet
11-23-2014, 2:37 PM
Hi Roger,

Thanks for you comments but the first thing I state is I wear a full face shield. With this, I also wear an N95 3M 8211 dust filter. My face and lungs are protected with my set up. I'm not sure why you posted the long thoughts on safety. The question is why should I pay $400 to get the Trend set up versus what I do now.

Cheers, Neil

Roger Chandler
11-23-2014, 4:06 PM
Hi Roger,

Thanks for you comments but the first thing I state is I wear a full face shield. With this, I also wear an N95 3M 8211 dust filter. My face and lungs are protected with my set up. I'm not sure why you posted the long thoughts on safety. The question is why should I pay $400 to get the Trend set up versus what I do now.

Cheers, Neil

I acknowledged your wearing of the faceshield.......I applaud your effort in safety! Threads like this one are read by newbies in turning and veterans alike, so the safety info was basically for others who might be learning at this time. As far as the "why" of spending $400 on one of these PAPR units, that is entirely personal preference and my point of one unit meeting both respiratory and impact requirements is a value judgment any turner has to consider. For you personally, it sounds like you are happy with your choice, and that is as I mentioned a fairly effective combination.......no quarrel from me!

I know that a NIOSH 95 rated dust mask is a good filter. I also know that getting dust mask to fit some faces correctly can be problematic and also cause fogging of glasses for some users, as was my case, but the PAPR unit allows for fresh filtered air, no fogging and impact protection of the face and head area. Where you may get a good fit on a dust mask, myself and many others have had issues with a good fit and the PAPR devices are better for us.

Again, no argument at all, just the experience of a number of us who use a PAPR device.

Wes Ramsey
11-24-2014, 12:01 PM
I acknowledged your wearing of the faceshield.......I applaud your effort in safety! Threads like this one are read by newbies in turning and veterans alike, so the safety info was basically for others who might be learning at this time. As far as the "why" of spending $400 on one of these PAPR units, that is entirely personal preference and my point of one unit meeting both respiratory and impact requirements is a value judgment any turner has to consider. For you personally, it sounds like you are happy with your choice, and that is as I mentioned a fairly effective combination.......no quarrel from me!

I know that a NIOSH 95 rated dust mask is a good filter. I also know that getting dust mask to fit some faces correctly can be problematic and also cause fogging of glasses for some users, as was my case, but the PAPR unit allows for fresh filtered air, no fogging and impact protection of the face and head area. Where you may get a good fit on a dust mask, myself and many others have had issues with a good fit and the PAPR devices are better for us.

Again, no argument at all, just the experience of a number of us who use a PAPR device.

Thanks for the noob reference Roger :cool: I am, and I do appreciate the extra info. I've been turning for almost a year now, and having recently had a bowl explode on the lathe (without injury, thankfully) I'm upgrading from safety glasses to a full face shield. I'm also upgrading from cheap, paper masks to a 3M respirator. However, Dennis Peacock's shop is the only one I've been in that had a whole-shop dust collection system and I was impressed by how well it worked, but I didn't get to use his lathe to see how well it collected dust there. My question is, are there advantages to the Trend unit over a dust collection system? Would the use of one negate the need for the other?

Roger Chandler
11-24-2014, 1:59 PM
Thanks for the noob reference Roger :cool: I am, and I do appreciate the extra info. I've been turning for almost a year now, and having recently had a bowl explode on the lathe (without injury, thankfully) I'm upgrading from safety glasses to a full face shield. I'm also upgrading from cheap, paper masks to a 3M respirator. However, Dennis Peacock's shop is the only one I've been in that had a whole-shop dust collection system and I was impressed by how well it worked, but I didn't get to use his lathe to see how well it collected dust there. My question is, are there advantages to the Trend unit over a dust collection system? Would the use of one negate the need for the other?

Hi Wes..........I use both a Trend and have a dust collection system. The dust collector will not get all the dust, especially when doing cuts on wood, because you likely will have to have the dust port far enough away from the cut for clearance of the piece being worked on. Sanding dust is different, as a lot of times you can move the intake port close enough to catch most of the dust because you do not have the tools and rest in the way when sanding.

That being said, having clean filtered air at the ready point of your breath will keep your lungs and sinuses clear. Most collectors allow some very fine dust back into the shop, so that extra measure of filtration at the source of your breath is a bit of extra insurance against what gets us wood workers in the end.....fine dust particulates that build up in your lungs and can cause cancer with long term exposure.

I also use an overhead air cleaner for the ambient air, so I have 3 measures of defense.......Trend, dust collector and overhead cleaner. I don't know that I can do any better in my present situation, but when I am able to build a new and more spacious shop sometime in the future I also plan to put in an explosion proof exhaust fan just to keep air movement flowing to bring in fresh outside air and exhaust any dust laden air. That may sound like overkill to many, but I have almost died twice with pneumonia and serious complications from it, and have had more than my share of sinus infections over the years........hopefully with age comes wisdom and I can protect myself in ways that I used to not be aware of, or could afford at the time!

John Sanford
11-25-2014, 12:52 AM
Roger, what is the sense of paying $400 for a paper face shield? Seriously, how can you even see through it? Or is this PAPR not paper???? If it isn't paper, then what is PAPR?

(getting goofy in order to exceed the minimum post length. Original post was simply "PAPR???")

Roger Chandler
11-25-2014, 8:28 AM
Roger, what is the sense of paying $400 for a paper face shield? Seriously, how can you even see through it? Or is this PAPR not paper???? If it isn't paper, then what is PAPR?

(getting goofy in order to exceed the minimum post length. Original post was simply "PAPR???")

This is an air powered respirator! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wCEAAkGBwgHBgkIBwgKCgkLDRYPDQwMDRsUFRAWIB0iIiAdHx 8kKDQsJCYxJx8fLT0tMTU3Ojo6Iys/RD84QzQ5OjcBCgoKDQwNGg8PGjclHyU3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nz c3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3Nzc3N//AABEIAGQAZAMBIgACEQEDEQH/xAAcAAACAgMBAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAABQQGAgMHAQj/xABAEAABAgQDBgMEBwUJAQAAAAABAgMABAUREiExBhMiQVFhcY GRBxQy8CNCUoKhscEzYnKi0RYkNENTY5Ky8RX/xAAXAQEBAQEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQID/8QAGREBAQEBAQEAAAAAAAAAAAAAABEBIQMC/9oADAMBAAIRAxEAPwDuEEEEAQQRRvaPtsNn2BT6dZyqvp4QD yT9o/PL0DPb72gyWy6PdmMMzUV/Ayniw9yB X/AJHNXvaBXJlRXUpx1sH4GWFYcH8RTa/hFPmnyh5yYfdL826SXHlZm/aF6nFPKsYirTM7WOLULOvudCMv1iYztK8yvjmFhY pizPh3iiKUrfWQc0Z cbkuqOTgxePOLCujyvtHmpUgtzLy0/VBXcK7Z6HsdesX3Zr2hytRaQZgpKTkVpFik9FJj5 W3mCDdtehPI94nUl6YkZsOJCsKrpcHW3PxHzrEg rGXW3m0uNLStChcKSbgiM45TsPtWZN9MtNLvKuHO5 A/a8OsdVBuLxUewQQQBBBBAJtrq xs1Q36g8MaxZDDQ1ddOSUj50Bj50qs/MPTMxNTju nZhRU850/dHYRd/anWzUK46lKv7rS8TDAvkt8j6RffCLIHQ445c84pZNzrBWC1Fai TEqRYC0LcIyTGtpgqAMOUSwYojrw5pV doYEMm3jSt1Q NWUbwAI2SzWCSbHYn1MYQRLpqZdUwGZo4Zd4FClfYJGSvW0ME1 KXSG1bgLcsytaTkN4i6V Sk5 MKmU3BvpaIk4Sy4UlR4RcgRbxcWOSfJQW0OKQSkpSsap6GO2ey urrmycuuY/wATLEsPDunL58I4JN0dunyzrj1TlXH0AYWZdZUonFbO4FrDPrH TPYKZtSqwVlRlfo8z9u6tD4a UZV12CCCKyIhVicckae5MNNFxSbAC QvzPYRNiHV5ZM3T3WHMQQsWJSbEdx4QHzlMmQeqK5KpTsy0lIs l9treYlk3UtaRmb8RsOZ1ERV7KzyyXae7LVFoEDFLOgkHoQefr qIb7WbDbQ0ufdm5VlU/KquQ9KpusD95GoPhcd UVdEw448QtO7dQSlduFXQg8x4RO11zPPfjbvUmVSkoxcgLw9mm QdmW7D4kpz8SVQkfsxKFRyxZCGDlUl1U Rp6XQpZZbxKB4UKw5Anrnn09baxz1vp2zU7VZMf8Azmnn1NoBW ltu HzJHTTWK68hCHlIbUtQGRK0YCDzBHK0dQ2JrczTKbuWPdsDq96 reoUVXsE5WUMuERRdpmUI2mn1NqKw88p9RtYBTnGoDsCo2iIhI SAEJOilAH1htsPssNr9opgTK3G6fL8TzjeRUTohJOQvqT0HcGE 0s2/UKxK0 TTjfeWUITyxWNr9usd42FpVPpGzrDdNeQ82q5W n/MXeyie9xpysByiarjm3uyKtl66zLyrjsxKTaMcuVi67g2Ug2GZ BI0H1hHdtgNn/wCzmzMtJuACaWN7MkZ/SK1HkLJ8ozmKZJVKoU ZnGS4uSdLrF8gFEWuRztkfEDpD8QN17BBBFQRrfNm/ONkQqu5upFxY1ANoCtS9Tf94mlKs4zvCWhoQNdfMRjVjR5iWE3 WKVv27A7wye/UkHskFf4RGlEqWhKUfXWR NofKaAFgMhkIaqjO0z2aVRWET8i0vTB7 WyPurVl6Rij2abFvHeytUfCf8AanWlD/qYtVSo8hUk4ajIy02Bpv2UrI8CRlCJzYHZhbiFmkNJUhYWAlxY Fx1SFWOmlohGwez2UbwCQrEy02NQtKHD62H5GFz xlLIS9OOvvvFOIuLcQ2FDuAkW6frFoTKtSyDu0kH Iwsqs2WG7pupxXChPUwqxRKw7SNnmKmii 6In1NFKEYVrWW1uAH6Q4rcAXkFC uHSH3svcmZKiqWytIlX1haQRfitxKGeSTwgJIuLRtn6HJTbrLU 7LiZWpsPLccN8JC0kC371iD2BGhhtItKl5dDO9ccw/WcVcmAs0vPm9zaGLM8lVrmKy0oiJbTpHOAswfSRe8EJm3jh1j2 KkPYQ1yYxrdZGiAj1NyfwtD6KMZ8TXv8yg3HvakC55BKbfnBG/Z5neWWR zBPmSR/WHgQSdIj7Nym6pyVrHE6So HL57w2wgDIRdEEs35RqWx2hlhEYKQIi0jnUYU2inGnsVutibdW 4ESChu8C7BRuD5jhz0MWvaicRT6bMzTnwtoJ8ToB nnCOgsuS1Il98kmYeG/dSBniXoLdbYR4gxFTvdrqx2zKQm/YXsPxPrGaGMPKHKZPChKTqBmesAlM9IgWJbPSN7bRvpDFEn2iS 1J9opUFDKsOkEOEy6QNIIRK2TKVKYcS38ZSQk97RzJDop849Jq GBE0oOy5P pYJUjxslJHn59Riq7T7PNziVr3G ZcOJbYHEhX2k/PrFRI2bqaZmX93cUkPs8JHVPI/PSHY0jkMjTdoZObemUzKX20PqDLanBjLfJQXy6WNzccudtldrJ lm6J6mTgKbWVuxxeFj YEBcYxcNkmK0na9taeCk1NR5BLSTf8AmiPN1ytThU1IyDEsm37 V90rP/FIy9YBRte4KxX5CipzZSfeJrpgGgPjp95Jh1TEqmq42QfoZdKn HjpxEAIT/ADKV04RFa2TkKhLPzrtXcEzUphzCC3mooHWwA8TYAZDkIv8ATa cZdsktgOuWLiuvQeV4it6zc8OkZtJJ0F43ty4HxZmNwSBoLRUY IbtrGwACPYIAggggCCCCAhzNNlJklTjXGdVJNifTWElRkESiju nnvvEf0ggiKWJmXErAyUL6EQzpki3ULmYUogZ2AH6iPYIB/LSbEqnCw2EdSNT4mN9oIIqCCCCAIIIIAggggP/ZAs you can see in the pic............you CAN see through it, and it supplies filtered air and protects the face and head area from flying debris. It is a "POWERED AIR PURIFYING RESPIRATOR" [PAPR]

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/400/152709.jpg