PDA

View Full Version : zone alarm ?

Harry Goodwin
07-16-2005, 5:39 PM
Now a question for some wizard of puters. I have zome alarm Pro (paid for) not the trial edition on both my laptop and our PC. On the laptop I can receive my emails on Outlook express without going out of zone alarm. On my PC we have to go out of zone alarm pro to get the mail downloaded and then go back on zone alarm. Any suggestions in layman's language. Thanks Harry

Chuck Wintle
07-16-2005, 5:58 PM
are your computers networked?

Harry Goodwin
07-16-2005, 6:01 PM
Charles. I have a folder that enables me to take stuff from one to the other on Cox on wireless router. Hope that answers and thanks for help. Harry

Chuck Wintle
07-16-2005, 6:15 PM
what is your setup? is it a home network with one computer connecting to the internet with a dsl modem and the other connecting to the wireless network.

Harry Goodwin
07-16-2005, 6:24 PM
Charles: I have
Cox cable hot all the time internet. I have a router that sends the signal???? to both computers. Both puter have a folder that is a Cox share kind of thing and draging things there on the desktop turn up for use or saving printing whatever on the other puter. Only the PC will not allow mail on Outlook express. I'm trying. Ha, ha. Harry

Jim Becker
07-16-2005, 6:26 PM
Check the program settings in ZoneAlarm Pro to insure that you have given Outlook the permission to send and receive email. It will block it otherwise. I had this issue when I blew away McAfee virus protection in favor of another product and had to reset the permissions for Outlook to be functional after that.

To do this, double click on the ZoneAlarm icon in the tray to bring up the ZAP application on your screen. Click on "Program Control" and then select the "Programs" tab if it is not already selected. Scroll down to Microsof Outlook (or Outlook Express if that is what you use) and besure that the "Send Mail" column has a green check mark in it. It should also be the only program that does have that check mark for most people...if more programs have it, you may have something malicious going on. (On my computer, since I use Mailwasher Pro to pre-screen email, it also has the check so that it can "bounce" spam email properly when appropriate)

Harry Goodwin
07-16-2005, 6:57 PM
Thanks Jim and Charles You wisdom is greatly apprecoiated. I think we are on the trail. I did as you suggested but received an error message till I disabled it so maybe something else is wrong. Harry