PDA

View Full Version : My first Hollow form

Jim Ketron
07-16-2005, 4:59 PM
This is my first complete hollow form. I used my homemade captive hollowing rig and I’m very pleased with the results. I have been wanting to try these for a while now and decided it was time to try it out. I have 2 more ready to finish turn, and I can’t wait to work on the others!

It is Box Elder with curl and red flame and a few small sections of burl. This one has a little of everything in it.

The Finish is 5 thick coats of Deft lacquer, wet sanded to 2000 then hand waxed and polished.

It measures 7” tall X 6” at its widest point.

Steve Roxberg
07-16-2005, 5:02 PM
Very pretty, I like the collar neck area and how it flows together.

Keith Burns
07-16-2005, 5:04 PM
Looks darn fine to me, especially for your fist one ! Love the box elder,going to have to try that one of these days.

Ed Scolforo
07-16-2005, 5:42 PM
Jim: That's beautiful, both the wood and form. This is really your first?
Ed

Michael Stafford
07-16-2005, 5:48 PM
Whoa, Jim! You are the man! It is not enough that you build your own tools so you can turn a HF but then you go and do a magnificent first one! That is spectacular, Jim, just beautiful! Congratulations!!!! ;) :) :D

Jim Becker
07-16-2005, 6:23 PM
Outstanding job, Jim. A very nice shape and a really great piece of wood, too. Excellent! (Like I said elsewhere...beware...hollow forms are very addictive... ;) )

Dick Parr
07-16-2005, 7:32 PM
Great looking HF Jim. ;) Just have to love the color and curl in the wood and that is a very nice form also.

Great Job :)

John Miliunas
07-16-2005, 8:40 PM
"First hollow form", huh Jim??? Maybe, after turning a whole tree into firewood, I'd have something close to that! :rolleyes: Great job! With a start like that, I can't see anything but the best coming off that spinny thing!:) :cool:

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-16-2005, 9:48 PM
Like Jim says, beware. Those hollow forms are addictive. It is so nice to turn and not be under the strain of fighting torque all the time. Nice first try.

Carole Valentine
07-16-2005, 9:53 PM
What a beauty! There's no stopping you now!:D

Jim Ketron
07-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks All This is my favorite piece to date. I spent some extra time on the sanding and finish. It was hard to get some good pics as it is very glossy. might take a few more today, Im trying to show the curl better without having bright spots from the light.

Steve Stube
07-17-2005, 1:17 PM
You're setting the bar kind of high for us duffers Jim. There will be no catching up to you now. A real fine job on this one!

John Miliunas
07-17-2005, 2:54 PM
Thanks All This is my favorite piece to date. I spent some extra time on the sanding and finish. It was hard to get some good pics as it is very glossy. might take a few more today, Im trying to show the curl better without having bright spots from the light.

Jim, if it's anywhere near as bright out by you as it is around here today, take that piece outside and setup a shooting area somewhere in the shade and use 100% natural lighting. You'll be able to stop the lens down for greater depth of field and catch the natural sheen without hotspots.:) :cool:

Chris Barton
07-17-2005, 6:04 PM
Great looking work Jim!!! I envy your ability to find great looking blanks of Box Elder!

Chris

John Hart
07-18-2005, 5:09 AM
Very pretty Jim. That's my favorite shape and I love what you've done with the rim. Nice wood too! Gorgeous piece!

Jeff Jump
07-18-2005, 6:34 AM
Great job Jim:)
I love it!
Jeff