PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft has gone Festool....

Dev Emch
07-16-2005, 3:48 PM
I was just in our local woodcraft store and they were busy remodeling. They tore out a bunch of display space and were installing the new Festool displays.

So now Festool has made inroads into woodcraft. In reviewing the catalog I got from them, I have to say, without a doubt, Festool is Das Tool! From now on, my portable tool needs are going straight to Festool. I was truely amazed at these tools and their approach to problem solving. Very Well Done.

Jim Becker
07-16-2005, 4:31 PM
Woodcraft has had Festool for some time now...but not all franchisees may have been keeping displays. Keep in mind it's still direct-ship...you can't walk out of the store with product in-hand. You order and pay in the store and Festool ships to you a few days later.

That said, my Festool source will continue to be fellow SMCer Bob Marino... ;)

Frank Pellow
07-16-2005, 5:18 PM
I was just in our local woodcraft store and they were busy remodeling. They tore out a bunch of display space and were installing the new Festool displays.

So now Festool has made inroads into woodcraft. In reviewing the catalog I got from them, I have to say, without a doubt, Festool is Das Tool! From now on, my portable tool needs are going straight to Festool. I was truely amazed at these tools and their approach to problem solving. Very Well Done.
Woodcraft has sold Festool for some time. The display is probably only new to your outlet. And, just in case you were not aware, like all other vendors, you order from tWoodcraft but the stuff is shipped to you from the Festool warehouse.

brent lenthall
07-17-2005, 7:13 PM
I looked at the Festool products at my local Woodcraft, but assumed they had them in stock. I usually take my time making a decision on new tools, but like to have them ASAP, or at a good price when I decide to "pull the trigger". When I buy at Woodcraft it's usually because it's convenient. Unless they have some volume deal with Festool (ie. great deals), I can't see any reason to buy from them. It's not like Festool has a product line so large that they can't stock it.

Jim Becker
07-17-2005, 7:17 PM
It's not like Festool has a product line so large that they can't stock it.

They can't stock Festool because Festool USA does not allow it. All ISAs for the product take orders and the product is shipped to the customer directly from the Festool warehouses.

Charles McKinley
07-17-2005, 8:58 PM
I feel that this is a huge mistake on festools part. Haven't they herd of an impulse buy? If I need something NOW on a job or if something breaks I'm stuck with the wait. I will have to make do with another tool or buy something else.

Does this apply to their proprietary blades also?

Not having blades available locally may put some potential buyers off.

This being said, I will probably own some Festool stuff sooner or later. (hopefully real soon)

Jim Becker
07-17-2005, 9:42 PM
Charles, they do it to keep the playing field level for all their ISAs. Most of them are independent folks like Bob Marino who really can't stock product due to the financial aspects of it. (product cost, insurance, shipping, etc.) Personally, I like the system and in most cases, I've had one or two day delivery of anything I've ordered, including supplies.

Bob Marino
07-17-2005, 9:57 PM
I feel that this is a huge mistake on festools part. Haven't they herd of an impulse buy? If I need something NOW on a job or if something breaks I'm stuck with the wait. I will have to make do with another tool or buy something else.

Does this apply to their proprietary blades also?

Not having blades available locally may put some potential buyers off.

This being said, I will probably own some Festool stuff sooner or later. (hopefully real soon)

Hi Charles,

At this point in time, no Festool ISA carries tools to sell. They will take your order and the tools will be dropped shipped from either of two warehouses. Accessories and consumables such as blades, rails, sandpaper, etc. are stocked by some ISA's though.

Bob

Charles McKinley
07-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks Bob,

Being able to at least get blades locally would be a plus. I would plan on getting a second blade when I get a saw.

Ellen Benkin
07-18-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm sure Festool makes great tools and I'm sure I'll never be able to afford them. I think part of their strategy is to keep them "exclusive" -- they are very expensive and you can't get them without waiting for them to be shipped directly to you from an "exclusive" warehouse.

Bob Marino
07-18-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm sure Festool makes great tools and I'm sure I'll never be able to afford them. I think part of their strategy is to keep them "exclusive" -- they are very expensive and you can't get them without waiting for them to be shipped directly to you from an "exclusive" warehouse.

Ellen,

I can assure you that Festool's current method of distribution (no stocking dealers at this time) is not designed to keep them exclusive. It may seem to some to have that effect, but that's not the purpose.

Bob

john elliott
07-18-2005, 12:15 PM
My local dealer ( in the UK) carries many but not all Festool products in stock. Strange that they would have a different system in the US, but I can understand the point about the cost of stocking sufficient product.
John

russ bransford
07-18-2005, 1:18 PM
grapevine has it that there will stocking dealers soon.

John Lucas
07-18-2005, 4:53 PM
waiting for them to be shipped directly to you from an "exclusive" warehouse.

Ellen.
I see how you are thinking and I would think that way as well except for having received tools from Festool. They do have two warehouses in the US, but what I like best is their philosophy of maintaining inventories. They have rules that they must stock 3+ months of inventory on all products AND accessories. I have not yet had any back order from Festool. And they usually turn around is 2-4 days. I can't say that about any other company I deal with.
Their marketing may be a little different than we are used to, but their distribution is way different...and all good in my view.

Michael Perata
07-18-2005, 5:01 PM
Ellen

I placed a web order with Fesstool last Monday and it showed up at my doorstep the next noonday. I have bought three of their tools this way and that has been my experience each time. Buy it in the morning, get it the next day.

I bought one of their work tables from a local pro shop on a Saturday, it was at my doorstep on Tuesday.

Waiting for them to be shipped directly to you - nah. Overpriced - maybe. Really, really good quality - you bet! :)

Bob Borzelleri
07-19-2005, 10:34 AM

Perhaps "exclusive" is a fair synonym for "expensive". About the only way to keep prices where the manufacture/distributor wants them is to control inventory at the source and that appears to be the most significant factor in this particular business model.

The most recent WoodCraft postcard advertises 10% off everything in the store (except Festool). I would imagine that the sale would have included Festool had Festool allowed their tools to participate in the "Anniversary Sale".

...Bob