PDA

View Full Version : Finished dining table pics

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-16-2005, 3:42 PM
I was gonna wait until I got it in the house, but then I realized I'd have to clean up and move furniture...so here is the finished table. Top isn't attached to the base yet, but it's sitting on there pretty close to where it belongs. It's hard to get a good angle that doesn't make the top look way too big for the base...but it looks not so bad in person. :o More commentary at the bottom of the pics...

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/dining4.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/dining3.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/dining5.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/dining6.jpg

Finished height is just shy of 30". Top is right at 1-3/16 thick, 40" x 66". If I were doing it over, I'd go down to 38" at least, and maybe 36" and cut the overhang. This one sits 8" over the base at the sides, and 14" at the ends, and past the end of the support 'wings' by 1-1/2" all around.

If I were doing it again, I'd make a longer tenon on the 'shelf' and put a wedge though it...as much for looks as anything else. This one is screwed though the tenon from the bottom side of the rail.

As I mentioned in the earlier post of the finished base , I probably should've put the long aprons through the legs (and extended out), and attached the cross wings to them. This works okay I guess, but it still looks a bit awkward to me, and it makes finishing a lot tougher. :(

The 'end caps' on the top are biscuited and glued solid to the main panel. The movement with mesquite is insignificant, so I can get away with this. I don't like 'true' breadboard ends...but I like the look sometimes...and it's easier to find clean mesquite 60" long than 66".

Whole thing is 'stained' with WATCO natural, and topped with Sherwood pre-cat, dull rubbed effect. I cleaned up the bee boo-boos this morning and shot a final coat. What you see is about an hour after spraying, and after I've hit it quite heavily with 0000 steel wool, followed by a 'rubdown' with an old Tshirt. I find it muuuuch easier to use the steel wool before the lacquer 'sets up' hard, and it's easier to control the scraches. It's shiny now, but in the morning it'll be nice and 'flat'. In a week or so I'll use a power buffer to smooth it out and bring up a bit of luster.

I've pretty well decided I'm gonna put two chairs and two benches with this table. I think the benches will look better than chairs that won't 'park' under the sides. Not sure of the bench design, but something of an A&C/Shaker hybrid. Next week I'll start on those, and a simple sideboard to finsih the set.

I'm seldom happy with a finished piece, but I think this may be the closest I've come in awhile. :D

Jay Knepper
07-16-2005, 3:51 PM
Congratulations, that top is just sensational! I love your selection of boards, which has really made the best of the wood.

I may have missed it, but how did you finish the table?

Jason Tuinstra
07-16-2005, 5:40 PM
KC, you did good on this one. The figure on the slats really stands out. Excellent job all the way around. And I like the bench idea. I think this will give it a nice look.

Norman Hitt
07-16-2005, 5:49 PM
KC, the whole table is Beautiful, and the Top is absolutely Gorgeous. How long after you shot that final coat did you have to wait before you started rubbing with the 0000 steel wool? I've never used PreCat laquer before, but probably will try it at some point, (after I read up on it enough to do it safely :D ).

I guess from the pics, that the "NEW Replacement HF Gun" worked well. Did you find the spring for the other one Yet? Usually in the case of a Lost Spring, if I don't find it right away, when I do find it, I've already stepped on it. :mad:

Jim Becker
07-16-2005, 6:21 PM
Wow, that really turned out wonderful, KC!!

Not sure of the bench design, but something of an A&C/Shaker hybrid.

Moser has done some nice pieces (New Century series) that embrace both A&C/Mission and Shaker elements as has Harvey Ellis for Stickley. The two styles can really compliment each other. The benches can remain simple and pick up the various styles by doing an arch on the stretchers as well as a small one on the "end legs", assuming you do a solid single leg at each end, rather than four posts.

Bob Marino
07-16-2005, 6:33 PM
Great job all around. You do wonders with that mesquite. Wish it were a bit easier to come by on the East coast.

Bob

Dan Forman
07-16-2005, 7:03 PM
A beautiful as well as interesting table to be proud of.

Dan

Sam Blasco
07-16-2005, 7:16 PM
Excellent job, KC. The figure floats. Now it just needs some mesquite burl bowls and plates and goblets to sit on top of it...

Mike Mastin
07-16-2005, 8:45 PM
KC,

The more I come back and look at your design and the subtle details, I am even more convinced that this is one of the nicest tables that I have ever seen. You have taken an Arts and Crafts style and toned it down so that it is less massive and made it more stylish(to my eyes anyway). The arched aprons, the scuplted supports, the MESQUITE! I still stop and wonder how on earth people used to consider this wooda "trash tree". There is no finer looking or better working wood in North America. If you have never used it or worked with it, it is sensual to me. It simply exudes class and beauty. Your keen eye and hands have made something that it spectacular and for sure furniture that will be sought after long after your gone. Incredible looking all the way around.

Michael Pfau
07-16-2005, 9:09 PM
Thats a great looking table KC. Are you making chairs to match?

lou sansone
07-16-2005, 9:23 PM
great looking table and I agree with some of your " if I had it to do over " comments. I had to look up mesquite in the shrinkulator to see that indeed the wood really does not move much. amazing ! Since you don't seem to mind criticism, the legs look like they could be a scooch heavier from the photos. what do you think?

lou

Bob Noles
07-16-2005, 9:35 PM
Beautiful wood and excellent crraftsmanship. I could stare at your pictures for hours.

Thanks for sharing.

Vaughn McMillan
07-17-2005, 3:46 AM
Great job, KC. Beautiful wood, expertly crafted and finished, what more can I say?

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
07-17-2005, 8:47 AM
Very nice KC, that is a great looking table. Thanks for posting.

Corey

Mark J Bachler
07-17-2005, 8:55 AM
It's a beauty. Nice work

Gil Mitchell
07-17-2005, 1:47 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!! Excellent job. I've got to try some of that mesquite some day. Just leary about mail ordering any wood sight unseen.

John Renzetti
07-17-2005, 2:22 PM
Hi KC, I almost missed this. I thought it was the previous post. Great job. I agree with Sam that it needs some turned mesquite bowls and goblets.
Personally I think having just chairs and no benches would be better.
take care,
John

Keith Hooks
07-18-2005, 12:57 PM
That's a wonderful table. How did you flatten the top? It looks perfect in the pictures.

Joe Lenox
07-18-2005, 4:10 PM
You did a "Fantastic" job, Its Beautiful....and i love the mission style

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-18-2005, 7:28 PM
Thanks for tje comments, all.

I glued the top in three sections, then put those through the drum sander before putting them all together. It's pretty well flat...not perfect, but not noticeable.

KC