PDA

View Full Version : academic version of corel draw

Noah Grant
11-18-2014, 8:12 PM
I am purchasing corel draw and just got off the phone with them. They tell me the academic version is no different from the full version except it cannot be used for commercial purposes, and its not upgradeable. Does anyone have any experience using the academic version for their laser needs? I am an illustrator user myself and will only be designing in illustrator on my mac and importing the file into corel draw on the pc driving the laser. Any suggestions?

Gary Hair
11-18-2014, 8:56 PM
My first suggestion is to type "academic corel" into the search box in the upper right corner. That question has been asked many times and the answer is (almost) always the same.

Noah Grant
11-18-2014, 9:09 PM
Thanks Gary that was my first attempt however didnt have much come back. This time all is well. Thanks for the info!!

Dan Hintz
11-18-2014, 9:12 PM
Unless they have changed their stance, the academic version also does not include the VB scripting engine, which is required for macros. Maybe not a big deal to some, but a dealbreaker for others. Plus, you can't use the academic version for business purposes, no matter where along the line it's used or what tiny fraction of functionality is being used.

Rich Harman
11-18-2014, 9:29 PM
I upgraded to Corel 6 (full version) from the academic version of Corel 5. I specifically asked Corel if my academic version qualified, they said yes and gave instructions on how to make the upgrade. The upgrade purchase was made over the phone with Corel.

Neil Pabia
11-19-2014, 1:42 PM
I've been using an academic version for years, never had any issues with it. Just follow the rules about not using it for commercial use and you should be fine. I have X5 now and will be upgrading to X7 in the near future. My X5 can run macros.

David Somers
11-19-2014, 1:48 PM
Am I wrong, or don't most of us with lasers use them for commercial purposes? Eventually even I will do that when a laser shows up on my door someday. (won't the mailman be pissed at me when he finds that in his bag huh? Heck with the Sears Catalogs!!! <grin>)

Some of us are hobbiests, certainly, but it seems that the vast majority of us are earning some level of $$ from our lasers? So what we do on Corel and run through the laser for sale counts as commercial use? Or am I reading this all wrong?

Dave

Graham Taylor
11-19-2014, 1:55 PM
Am I wrong, or don't most of us with lasers use them for commercial purposes? Eventually even I will do that when a laser shows up on my door someday. (won't the mailman be pissed at me when he finds that in his bag huh? Heck with the Sears Catalogs!!! <grin>)

Some of us are hobbiests, certainly, but it seems that the vast majority of us are earning some level of $$ from our lasers? So what we do on Corel and run through the laser for sale counts as commercial use? Or am I reading this all wrong?

Dave

I also thought that most on here used it for commercial use.

i contacted Corel to ask if the full X7 version can be installed on 2 pc's which they said was possible but they can't be used at the same time (something to do with needing an internet connection). However, I was thinking afterwards that one of the pc's I was going to use was going to be stand alone and not connected to the internet so I will have to find out about this unless someone here knows if it can be used without an internet connection?

Mike Null
11-19-2014, 3:12 PM
It can.

I concur with Dave's thought as well. Educational means educational.

Bill George
11-19-2014, 4:20 PM
It can.

I concur with Dave's thought as well. Educational means educational.

No you do not need an internet connection to run Corel, my shop computer is deliberately not connected.

I interpret the license terms as can be installed on more that one computer but just one copy can be used at a time. I have an Academic Version X6 because I used to teach, but I also own the full registered version of Corel Version 9, does that make me legal?

Howard Garner
11-19-2014, 4:51 PM
Legal for version 9
X6 is still Academic

Dan Hintz
11-20-2014, 6:50 AM
I believe the current licensing terms allow for up to 3 systems with the software installed, but obviously only one can be run at any single time.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-20-2014, 5:51 PM
It still amazes me how so many people try to skirt the EULA just to save a few dollars but expose them selves to a possible lawsuit that would crash what ever business they have.
Come on people If you can't do it the right way ....don't do it.

Jerome Stanek
11-21-2014, 8:19 AM
Why is it that my legal copy still comes up with a message that it may be a pirated copy I call and they get it sorted out but about a month later I get that stupid message again. Have to call them each time that takes time when I need to do something fast.