PDA

View Full Version : Question about grinding angle template for CBN wheel

Reinis Kanders
11-18-2014, 4:12 PM
I started using my new CBN wheel and it truly is bee's knees!:) I ground right to the tip.

I have a question about repeatably setting the grind angle. I saw a nice tip about it on Derek's site.
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/AngleSettingJigForDryGrinder.html

Would grinding the wheel profile at the set angle in hardwood or MDF with CBN wheel mess the wheel up?
I am asking for opinions because these wheels are so expensive.
BTW I find 180 grit to be just about right.

Thanks.

David Weaver
11-18-2014, 4:17 PM
I doubt it would do anything but load. I grind everything at the same angle, and if I grind something at a different angle, I do it on the other side of the grinder.

Here's my suggestion - even when you grind things at the same angle, you'll have blades that are thick (or chisels that are thick) or thin paring chisels, etc, that you want to adjust the angle on the rest a little bit.

I leave the rest what I'd call 95% tight. It won't move with hand pressure or under the stress of grinding, but I can tap the rest with a hammer and adjust it a couple of degrees. I literally have never had any issue with that "creating wear" on the rest or any other problems, and it works very well. Any question about whether or not the angle is just what's wanted are answered easily by touching the edge to be ground to the wheel, looking at it, and then if needed tapping the rest.

You can do the same thing beforehand without turning the grinder on just by putting the iron or chisel on the rest and turning the grinding wheel a fraction of a turn to see where it's marking the chisel or iron (it'll mark dead center on the hollow or thereabouts if its set where you want it).

Tom M King
11-18-2014, 4:23 PM
I use one of these: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/5735/turning-tool-sharpening-and-supplies My helpers do most of the coarse sharpening, and use a guide for final honing. Hitting the exact angle to start with for grinding an edge is important if you are going to use a guide for final honing that sets an exact angle-like the LV fancy one. This makes quick work out of it, especially because it will always fit the 8" CBN wheel perfectly. In person, the part that fits the wheel looks larger than it does in that picture. The 25, and 30 degree positions are noticeably longer than the 60 degree one they are using in that picture, for some odd reason.

I use the Veritas grinding stand. It's very easy to adjust, and very rigid.

Derek Cohen
11-18-2014, 6:32 PM
I started using my new CBN wheel and it truly is bee's knees!:) I ground right to the tip.

I have a question about repeatably setting the grind angle. I saw a nice tip about it on Derek's site.
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/AngleSettingJigForDryGrinder.html

Would grinding the wheel profile at the set angle in hardwood or MDF with CBN wheel mess the wheel up?
I am asking for opinions because these wheels are so expensive.
BTW I find 180 grit to be just about right.

Thanks.

Hi Reinis

I am sure that any hardwood remains would be removed by the next grinding on hard steel

There are a few ways to set up the grind angle. One is above, another is to just adjust the rest so that the wheel scratches the centre of the existing hollow on the bevel. A third is to purchase the Tormek angle setter, and I recommend this little tool having used it on both a Tormek and my 8" grinder for several years.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Sharpening/f_182_big.jpg

While this little gauge will allow one to set extremely accurate angles, the more important feature by far is that it is extremely easy to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Holbrook
11-19-2014, 1:06 AM
Yes, The Tormek angle setter is good, there is another one they make for turners too. Batty actually makes three angle gauges but one handles the popular angles you probably need. The other two handle less used angles. Due to some issues in manufacturing all the Batty devices, I would check Woodworkers Emporium if you can't find one at the other suppliers. Veritas supplies one with their various tool rest sets, I can't find an item number for just the angle setter but LV may sell them alone.

Reinis Kanders
11-19-2014, 1:29 AM
Thanks everyone!
I think I will try the Tormek gizmo. Stuart Batty is out of stock at Hartville. I have Veritas tool rest and angle setter, but I do not like the angle setter, too fussy it's not a go/no go type aide. Veritas tool rest is pretty good.

I do like honing hollow ground chisels. At the moment I am trying to hone at the grind angle. I am not yet comfortable with lifting the handle because I find to be not that repeatable. It probably does not matter, but I was freehanding Paul Seller's style and had a hard time getting a square edge with chisels less than 1/2 in.

Tom M King
11-19-2014, 8:52 AM
If you are freehand honing, grinding an exact angle is not that critical. I'd just get a cheap General angle gauge, and check it as you go.