PDA

View Full Version : Aligning planer beds on Jet JJP-12 planer/jointer

david huffer
11-18-2014, 8:55 AM
(i had originally posted this as a reply in a thread but was advised it would be better to start a new thread):

I've had a difficult time with the JJP-12.

I know how (at least I think I know how) I should orient the tables to make the infeed and outfeed tables coplanar, but for the life of me I cannot make the appropriate adjustments. I've literally spent days aligning these beds with no success. I've opened the top, loosened the bolts, made adjustments, tightened the bolts, and closed the lid more times than I care to mention.

Has anyone worked out the best way to adjust this thing?

I've spoken to Jet's technical support. They were helpful when I was diagnosing a failed motor problem. But for coplanar adjustments I didn't get much help. They said the manual I have is the same thing they have, and its simply trial and error to get the beds aligned. I get that, but I really would like to know a little more about, for instance, how each of the four set screws affect the pitch and the tilt at the back of each table and how the two hex screws at the front affect the front of the table.

The other thing i have noticed is that the outfeed table sits high. i actually have to push it down about 1/4" to lock it. that doesnt seem right. if i lift the lid like im going to convert to planing or make some adjustments to the tables, i can put a straight edge across the tables and they arent even close to being aligned. and the spacing around the cutterhead is wider at the back than the front. that doesnt seem right to me.

I certainly appreciate any advice.