PDA

View Full Version : latest thing out of my shop

Jim Hager
07-16-2005, 10:58 AM
This is the latest thing that I have done. I just finished installing it this morning for the principal at the local jr. high where I teach. I have done similar projects for the secretaries and librarian over the last several years.

The desk is made of red oak finished with minwax provential stain and lacquered with wfs pre-cat satin. Drawers are baltic birch with blum glides.

The kick panels will be covered next week with rubber base board.

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/DA/38/50054106-13a4-02000180-.jpg

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/CF/38/50054095-f536-02000180-.jpg

Mark Singer
07-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Terrific work! Nice finish it makes the oak look great!

Larry Reimer
07-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Jim, nice looking office. Looks really well done. Thanks for showing.

Dan Oliphant
07-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Jim,
Nice work, looks to be well executed. Seems to me that you may be creating a frame for the mirror real soon also.

David Duke
07-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Very nice!!!!!!!!!! :) Just curious though, what is the purpose of lowering the bridge between the back section where it looks like the monitor will be and the front section, looks like its about 2" lower.

Thanks

Jim Hager
07-16-2005, 1:37 PM
[QUOTE=David Duke]Very nice!!!!!!!!!! :) Just curious though, what is the purpose of lowering the bridge between the back section where it looks like the monitor will be and the front section, looks like its about 2" lower.

Kinda a two or three fold purpose. To keep from having to seam the laminate in the top and to drop the top enough to allow for the printer to be placed where he wanted it to be. Plus I just liked the looks of it that way. Kinda picks up the offset in the top cabinets. Really I guess I ain't got no real reason:D

Jim Becker
07-16-2005, 2:08 PM
Very sharp, Jim! Nice installation and it really looks perfect for the intended job.

Bill Arnold
07-16-2005, 2:54 PM
... Plus I just liked the looks of it that way. Kinda picks up the offset in the top cabinets. Really I guess I ain't got no real reason:DJim,

Great looking project! I think the offset adds some interest to the desk assembly. Ain't gotta have a reason for something you think looks good on your design!!! :D

Regards,

Corey Hallagan
07-16-2005, 3:15 PM
That is stunning! Nice work, great looking finish. Thanks for posting.

Corey

Frank Hagan
07-16-2005, 3:54 PM
Very, very nice! I'm considering building a desk for my new office, and I love the finish you got with red oak.

Steve Stube
07-16-2005, 6:37 PM
I really like it Jim. I think Dan has a great idea about the mirror frame.

The thought of rubber molding makes it hard for me to swallow - I would lam some 1/4" red oak ply on the kick and not look back. I know, he's the customer!

Jim Hager
07-16-2005, 7:16 PM
The rubber base board and 4" kick panel is done that way to allow commercial methods of cleaning using floor buffers and wax applicators. It is a school afterall and is gonna be subject to all of the wear and tear that a school gives out. I agree about the mirror frame too but I wasn't asked to do anything about that. The custodian hung it again since painting the room right after I set the base cabinets and it is out of level about an inch across it's width, bugs the dickens out of me but I'm gonna have to live with it I guess.

I really like it Jim. I think Dan has a great idea about the mirror frame.

The thought of rubber molding makes it hard for me to swallow - I would lam some 1/4" red oak ply on the kick and not look back. I know, he's the customer!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Nice work Jim!

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-17-2005, 5:27 PM
I love the wall shelves...that males the whole thing, IMO. Also like it that you do things because you 'like the way they look'. :D

KC