PDA

View Full Version : The freezingness?

Phil Thien
11-18-2014, 8:28 AM
The maple trees still haven't dropped all their leaves and it was 7-degrees (F) this morning with sub-zero (-5) wind chills. Thanksgiving is still 1.5 weeks away. I've lived in this house for twenty years and I've never had to fight the weather like this to collect the leaves.

We set some record (low) temperatures this year. And that is saying something for Wisconsin.

Mark Bolton
11-18-2014, 8:49 AM
I haven't been watching the weather but isn't this all just to do with this arctic hurricane ?I watched an interview with our state meteorologist who said Elninio was supposed to be in affect for most of the fall and winter and was going to make for mild and dry temperatures well into the winter

Larry Edgerton
11-18-2014, 10:46 AM
The maple trees still haven't dropped all their leaves and it was 7-degrees (F) this morning with sub-zero (-5) wind chills. Thanksgiving is still 1.5 weeks away. I've lived in this house for twenty years and I've never had to fight the weather like this to collect the leaves.

We set some record (low) temperatures this year. And that is saying something for Wisconsin.

No problem with the leaves here Phil, they are under a foot of snow........

Larry

Phil Thien
11-18-2014, 10:54 AM
I haven't been watching the weather but isn't this all just to do with this arctic hurricane ?I watched an interview with our state meteorologist who said Elninio was supposed to be in affect for most of the fall and winter and was going to make for mild and dry temperatures well into the winter

Man I hope you're right, but there is already ice on Lake Superior, which is way early, like a month and a half.

Bert Kemp
11-18-2014, 11:28 AM
I still have green leaves :p

Jerome Stanek
11-18-2014, 12:04 PM
So do I my Bradford Pear will not turn till about January

David Weaver
11-18-2014, 1:00 PM
It was the wind this morning (and last night) that was the real surprise. Here in W.PA we have some hills, and you live somewhere on a hill. My house is in a development that's on a plateau and the wind blows strong from the west.

I walked out to slightly warmer temperatures this morning (it was 13º here), but a stiff 20-30 mile an hour breeze from the west. Today's garbage day. I made sure to put something heavy in the cans, and the cans were still standing up, but my lid was gone, and I got to walk down the street to find it under someone's car and then play goalie and field several others that were coming and put them back on cans. I'll bet most of my neighbors have someone else's lid now (most of us have the same can - makes the lids mix and match), but it's like a flat rate box...if it fits (well, it doesn't ship). A lot of full cans were blown over, and that takes a lot.

Once I came back up the street, I saw another neighbor coming home from the night shift at a carbon mill...he works outside year round, and all he had to say was "it was a terrible night to work outside!". I wasn't about to complain to him :)

Myk Rian
11-18-2014, 2:46 PM
Keep them that way for a bit. We'll be in Scottsdale all next week.
It's damned cold here.

Tom M King
11-18-2014, 3:53 PM
Strong NE wind is ideal for our leaf disposal. We have woods on the lee side of the yard with that wind. A 13hp Billy Goat blower throws about an 8' swath of them in the air, and the wind helps take them from there. I bought the blower a long time ago from a rental place. They had rented it to two different ladies. It had an 11 hp B&S motor on it then, that we have since worn out, so I put a 13hp Honda on it. One lady couldn't start it, and the second lady blew some small Boxwoods out of the ground with it that she had just planted, so they decided to stop renting it. It also works great for helping with large burning piles. You might find the promo video on the Billy Goat website showing how far it can blow an 8" cinder block across pavement.

I let the guys use it on weekends to earn extra money. In town, leaf pickup is at the street, so they start on any block, and the next house comes out wanting them to do their yard too. This is how the 11hp motor got worn out, but I'm glad the guys have done so well with it.

Bert Kemp
11-18-2014, 9:18 PM
You'll have nice weather days 70's night time lows mid 40's:)

Keep them that way for a bit. We'll be in Scottsdale all next week.
It's damned cold here.

Kevin Bourque
11-18-2014, 10:21 PM
25 degrees here in Pa. Looks like we've finally beaten Global Warming. HOORAY!!!!!:D

Shawn Pixley
11-18-2014, 10:51 PM
It was 82 degrees today. Tomorrow we will have a cold spell. It will be 73. There is a reason I live in SoCal. I am not built for the cold.

Joe Tilson
11-19-2014, 8:21 AM
I just don't know about what the weather people say about a dry warmer winter. The trees had really thick foliage, for one, wooly worms are totally black, and we had lots of fog in August this year. These usually indicate a colder winter. The almanac also indicates cold weather. I guess we will prepare for the worst and hope for the best. It's 17 degrees here this morning in NW South Carolina.

Jim Matthews
11-19-2014, 5:36 PM
I haven't been watching the weather but isn't this all just to do with this arctic hurricane

It's a Snownado!

Jim Matthews
11-20-2014, 7:55 AM
It was 82 degrees today. Tomorrow we will have a cold spell. It will be 73.

I hate you. Bet you've got a good-looking wife with questionable taste in husbands, too.

Phil Thien
11-20-2014, 8:45 AM
It was 82 degrees today. Tomorrow we will have a cold spell. It will be 73. There is a reason I live in SoCal. I am not built for the cold.

I do enjoy weather in many areas in CA where it doesn't get too hot or too cold, and you can just wear shorts and short sleeves year around.

If I had a do-over, I wouldn't have put roots down here (in Milwaukee) but would have moved out west or SW before doing so.

Brian Elfert
11-20-2014, 10:44 AM
The best weather places to live also tend to have higher cost of living, are crowded, and have terrible road congestion. Atlanta spent a ton of money on new highways in the 1990s, but now they have epic traffic jams due to population growth. Phoenix has decent weather in the winter, but it is terribly hot in the summer. Certainly, you can stay indoors in air conditioned spaces, but then you deal with the electric bill.

That said, the fastest growing metro areas in the USA are all in the south with better weather.

Bert Kemp
11-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Yes the heat in the valley in the summer time is something else. I hate heat but I found that uo to about 94- 95 most people including me don't find it all that bad, over that then it starts getting tough to deal with. But theres lots of area out here that are really nice year round. I think that if you find a place at around 3000 to 5000 ft you get mild weather year round. Or you become a snowbird, the valley in the winter and someplace else in summer :D

The best weather places to live also tend to have higher cost of living, are crowded, and have terrible road congestion. Atlanta spent a ton of money on new highways in the 1990s, but now they have epic traffic jams due to population growth. Phoenix has decent weather in the winter, but it is terribly hot in the summer. Certainly, you can stay indoors in air conditioned spaces, but then you deal with the electric bill.

That said, the fastest growing metro areas in the USA are all in the south with better weather.

Brian Elfert
11-20-2014, 1:10 PM
Yes the heat in the valley in the summer time is something else. I hate heat but I found that uo to about 94- 95 most people including me don't find it all that bad, over that then it starts getting tough to deal with. But theres lots of area out here that are really nice year round. I think that if you find a place at around 3000 to 5000 ft you get mild weather year round. Or you become a snowbird, the valley in the winter and someplace else in summer :D

Dry heat is fairly tolerable with shade. Trying to work in that kind of heat is miserable. I was at a desert event two summers ago with temps in the shade of 107 degrees, but no humidity. It wasn't that bad in the shade as long as you didn't do much. Now, back home in Minnesota once it gets to be 90 degrees or above it is pure misery due to the high humidity. I would probably get heat stroke outdoors at 107 degrees in Minnesota.

Garth Almgren
11-21-2014, 12:42 AM
I do to, but then again I'm in the evergreen state. :)

ray hampton
11-21-2014, 3:09 PM
do any weather man tell the truth ? one will say that this will be a warm winter while another will say this the weather will be colder, the weather man that predict warm weather could be from the north pole