PDA

View Full Version : Want to make a blade guard from lexan/macrolon

Dennis Aspö
11-18-2014, 2:50 AM
I've seen builds in the past but they seem to use wood for some reason to make the "spine" of the guard, I am wondering why is it only commercial offerings such as the sharkguard that seem to be made entirely from lexan? Are there no suitable or reliable ways to glue lexan parts together for the hobbyist? Or have I just missed the examples of homemade guards entierly from lexan?

I suppose one can use wood and it is simpler to make it that way, but I like the idea of a guard that is entirely transparent. Also wondering if you can bend a lexan sheet into a u-shape, then simply cut out the shape of the guard on a band saw or similar? Then you'd have a single piece which might perhaps be the best solution.

Chris Parks
11-18-2014, 3:11 AM
I have just completed a new style of guard made from a no name plastic shelving material I found and the commercial glue that was recommended did not work nor did super glue. I finished up using acetone which is supposed to weld it together and seemed to work. You also need to practise flame polishing which can be seen on Youtube.

Peter Quinn
11-18-2014, 5:48 AM
I made a lexan guard for a bandsaw some time back, bought the lexan and solvent weld from a glass shop. Weld solvent was nasty stuff, made PVC cement smell like candy, had all,sorts of stuff in in, MEK, denatured alcohol, few other noxious ingredients. They gave a little applicator bottle with a fine needle, stuff was really thin, more so than water, had to work really fast. End result, very permanent bond that never failed. Don't know about bending, never tried.

Grant Wilkinson
11-18-2014, 8:04 AM
Over the years, we have made all sorts of things from acrylics and lexan. You can heat both and bend them. Heat gently, bubbles will form in no time. As for bonding, we usually use methylene, which is thinner than water and terrible stuff. You simply hold the two pieces together and use a syringe to apply the methylene. It is thin enough to get into the joint and it melts the two pieces together. It is pretty much instantaneous. It's available in my city at plastic supply places. I've never seen it at a BORG.

Dan Keeling
11-18-2014, 7:43 PM
Lexan can be bent using a break. It cuts easily with either a jig/band saw or a fine tooth circular saw. It also scratches incredibly easily.

Jim Becker
11-19-2014, 9:10 PM
Lexan can be physically joined with a solvent like MEK...safety care must be taken, of course. And yes, years ago, I made a replacement head for the UniGuard I owned at the time. It was very effective and the joints never had a chance to break since the solvent literally melts the pieces together into one unit.

Dan Rude
11-19-2014, 11:27 PM
If you go to the Shark Guard Website, Lee use to have plans for one of his guards. I don't see them now but if you email him I'm sure he would help you out. ShopNotes, also had some plans for one awhile back using wood and Lexan. ShopNotes No. 103 (January 2009) Dan

Dennis Aspö
11-19-2014, 11:53 PM
If MEK alone works as a glue/solvent then that at least will be easy to acquire. Thanks for the tips, we'll see how this turns out...