PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Peacock, a chair for your table?

Dan Barber
02-17-2003, 10:11 PM
Hi Dennis,

I saw your beautiful table that you recently finished. I thought you might like to see a pic of the chair I built this weekend.

Construction is loose mortise and tenon made on my shop built Mortise Flex (otherwise known as a Multi-Router). Wood is Cherry, style is mission to match the desk I built LOML for Christmas. Finish at this point is one coat of Waterlox.

Building a chair is certainly a serious project and I thought this one turned out pretty well for my first time. I'll say that having the ability to make angled mortises via the Mortise-Flex was a life saver in this case. 26 M & T joints will try your patience :eek:.
<center>
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/danbarber/chair.jpg </center>

Including the upholstery, I'd say I have about 12 hours invested in this. If you needed to make more I'd guess an additional 2-4 hours per chair.

I've got detailed drawings of this if they would help anyone interested in making one.

Cheers,

Dan

Gary Hern
02-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Looks like a nicely done project. I wish I had your home built setup this weekend! I started a chair this weekend also, but of a different type.

Tom Sweeney
02-17-2003, 10:28 PM
I'm sure it was very rewarding using your fantastic shop buit multi router.

12 hours - for the whole chair? :eek:

It would take me half that time to figure out where my tools are! ;)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey! That looks like a good solid chair, Dan. Ought to work nicely with the new desk. Once you have built a chair you understanf that it is just like any other project. Have a plan and do one step at a time.

Dan Barber
02-18-2003, 7:37 PM
If this works, there should be a copy of the chair drawings in PDF fomat attached to this message for those who would like them.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan Barber
02-18-2003, 7:39 PM
Last meassage seemed to work OK. Attached to this message is a copy of the AutoCad drawing of the chair if that is of interest to anyone.

Dan

Merle Clor
02-18-2003, 8:52 PM
Dan,
My daughter has expressed an interest in a Mission style dining room table. Could your plans be modified to include arms?

Dan Barber
02-18-2003, 9:20 PM
Merle

I'm sure that the design could easily be modified to include arms. Why don't you take a look at the PDF file drawings and see if it gives you any insight to that modification.

Dan

Dennis Peacock
02-18-2003, 11:04 PM
You said you <b>made</b> a multirouter? How'd you do it and will it make building chairs easier and faster? LOML is talking about 10 chairs now......

- Dennis - :D

Dan Barber
02-18-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Dennis Peacock
You said you <b>made</b> a multirouter? How'd you do it and will it make building chairs easier and faster? LOML is talking about 10 chairs now......

- Dennis - :D

Sure I made a Multi-Router, I've even thought about selling them. Yes it does make chair joinery much easier. If you have to make 10 chairs, you Need one of these!

http://www.woodisourart.com/mortiseflex/images/DSC00073.jpg

Go to Wood Is Our Art (http://www.woodisourart.com) click on "The Shop" and then "Mortise-Flex" and see it for yourself.

Dan