PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? - Cabinet error.

Lonnie Gallaher
11-17-2014, 6:54 PM
I just got the upper cabinets installed in my kitchen and discovered that the area where the range and hood will go are offset by 1/2 inch. I have not built the base cabinets yet.

The kitchen is small with the range at the end of the L-shaped counter. I allowed for all of the build-up of cabinet/drawer fronts and drawer pulls plus 1 inch of clearance for range door to the cabinet pulls.

I can either leave it as is and have the range offset from the hood by the 1/2 inch error or reduce the base cabinet depth by 1/2 inch. My other option is to reduce my filler piece at the corner and go with 1/2 of clearance for the range door to the cabinet pulls.

So the options are -

1. Leave it with the 1/2 offset. Will I notice the offset - yes, but will anyone else?

2. Reduce the depth of the base cabinets by 1/2 inch. This seems like the most logical thing to do. Can anyone think of a reason why not to go this route?

3. Reduce the filler piece and hope that 1/2 inch working clearance is adequate for the range and cabinet pulls. This is my least favorite choice.

Any advice from those that are more experienced with cabinets would be appreciated.

Keith Hankins
11-17-2014, 7:25 PM
Don't sweat it. Option 1 or 2. I'd say 1 and yes you will see it, but I doubt anybody else will. I redid a wall in a kitchen once. Forgot to crown a dang stud, and that was the first thing I saw in that kitchen till I sold it. Upset me, but no one ever even saw or cared about it.

Jim Andrew
11-17-2014, 8:10 PM
I agree with Keith. I have always been a perfectionist when I built my kitchens, built houses for a living, and think I was the only one who ever noticed.

Kevin Jenness
11-17-2014, 8:36 PM
You already know what to do- adjust the base cabinet depth on the return. What's the downside, changing a few drawer slides at worst? If you don't , no-one else will notice, but you will kick yourself every time you look at it.

Sam Murdoch
11-17-2014, 10:17 PM
You already know what to do- adjust the base cabinet depth on the return. What's the downside, changing a few drawer slides at worst? If you don't , no-one else will notice, but you will kick yourself every time you look at it.

This would be my solution - the range hood will look best and work best directly above the range.

If the return L is into a wall you could remove the 1/2" of drywall and simply set the cabinets right to the studs. The c-top would be less deep but the interior of the base cab would be full size.

Lonnie Gallaher
11-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks to those that responded. I don't think I can leave the error in the layout. My thought has always been, it is not an error unless you cannot correct it to an acceptable level.

Thanks again.