PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Cell-Cast Acrylic

Bonnie Knight
11-17-2014, 12:25 PM
I am cutting 1/8" cell-cast acrylic (no engraving, just cutting) on a Trotec 30w. I was unsure whether you leave the protective paper on (one or both sides) or take it off and should it be cut upside down?

John Noell
11-17-2014, 12:46 PM
AFAIK, both sides of clear cast are the same (and I've only seen clear with paper on both sides). Clean up is easier if you leave it on. Only if it starts to get old does getting the paper off after cutting/engraving become a problem.

Neil Pabia
11-17-2014, 1:37 PM
I leave the paper on the bottom, just makes cleanup easier. When the material is old and the paper doesn't want to come off, I rub a little press cleaner on it and let it sit for five or tem minutes and it peels right off.

Michael Hunter
11-17-2014, 1:39 PM
Yes - leave it on. Protects against any residue from cutting as well as fingerprints and scratches.

If you still get tick marks from the cutting grid/bars even with it on, then add an extra layer of transfer or masking tape to be bottom side.

In the UK paper protection is very rare : we almost always get polythene instead. One side has the maker's info on and is normally marked "viewing side" or similar : the other side plain blank.