PDA

View Full Version : Version of Corel draw

Noah Grant
11-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Hi I would like to know what is the best version of Corel draw to purchase that is compatible with windows xp? Using it to engrave with a 2008 universal versalaser

Mike Chance in Iowa
11-17-2014, 10:41 AM
It depends upon how much oomph your computer has. My "old" XP computer could run X6, but if you do a search in the forum you will see that it brought my machine to a crawl. X3 ran well on my old XP computer. It's spec's are listed in previous Corel upgrade posts.

David Somers
11-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Noah,

This doesn't help you with your original question, but please keep in mind that XP is not being supported by MS anymore so no more security updates are being issued for it. No problem continuing to use it. But remember that as time goes on it becomes increasingly vulnerable to viruses and hacking. Those security updates are really your first line of defense, with your firewall being your second line, and your Antivirus a poor third. Think about keeping it off the internet if you want to continue using it.

Dave

Mike Null
11-17-2014, 10:57 AM
I use X5 with XP.

Michael Hunter
11-17-2014, 1:49 PM
X3 is the oldest worth considering. It has everything you might need for lasering except that the import-from-other-packages options are badly out of date and the tracing functions are none to clever.
Very easy to set up - tell it you want everything RGB and you are good to go.

Later versions have better tracing - a big plus - but take quite a lot of convincing to use RGB rather than CMYK.
X6 accepts the latest pdf, ai and dxf formats for import which is really useful if you take in work from outside.

(I use both X3 and X6 : X3 to run the laser and X6 for importing and tracing)

Bruce Clumpner
11-17-2014, 8:06 PM
Amazon has a copy of X7 for less than $300 right now.. Can't hurt to upgrade if you can

Bert Kemp
11-17-2014, 8:24 PM
I've had no problems with x5 on my old xp computer, matter of fact I still use it sometimes.

Gerd Spatz
11-18-2014, 3:11 AM
[QUOTE=Michael Hunter;2335432
X6 accepts the latest pdf, ai and dxf formats for import which is really useful if you take in work from outside.
[/QUOTE]

But X6 has some issues importing SVG-graphics...

Keith Colson
11-18-2014, 3:22 AM
X5 and XP are good friends. Coreldraw and humans, well that's another story.

Cheers
keith